How to open trunk door when battery is dead

kimchei6

:
2013 cx-5 gt w/tech pkg
I left my dome light on for over 3 days while on vacation. Came back and the battery was dead. Of course the keyless entry didn't work. Also, the rear trunk door wouldn't open. How can I open the trunk door when the battery is dead?

Your key fob has an emergency key within the fob. Did you even read your manual?

The emergency key will only open the driver door. There is no key slot on the rear hatch to offer an emergency open option.

There usually is a way to manually actuate the latch, but you would have to put the rear seats down and crawl back there. Most vehicles have a little plastic panel that can be removed to gain access. This is more designed so it can be opened in case of a mechanical/electrical failure.

good question.
I doubt there is an easy way to open the trunk from outside the car with a fully dead battery.

I store my jumper cables in the spare tire.. would be a lot of fun squeezing the whole contents of the trunk through the side doors to get to the cables.

The emergency key will only open the driver door. There is no key slot on the rear hatch to offer an emergency open option.

There usually is a way to manually actuate the latch, but you would have to put the rear seats down and crawl back there. Most vehicles have a little plastic panel that can be removed to gain access. This is more designed so it can be opened in case of a mechanical/electrical failure.

And that's exactly how the manual describes how to do it.

There's an emergency release under a panel piece, but if I recall correctly the manual says if you use it you should take it in to the dealer to check for damage? Unless you absolutely have to get the gate open, I would just charge up the battery first.

Back