Push start CX-5

charles999

:
CX-5 GX
Hi
By reading the manual, Mazda say that we should never push start our vehicle.

Anyone knows why? I always did it with my other cars (when battery is dead).

Hi

I push start mine all the time... I push the button to start it.

Hi

I'm assuming yours is a 6MT and that's why you're curious. The reason would be that you can damage the catalytic converter because the computer doesn't adjust the air/fuel mixture properly for a bump start. Most folks do it anyway, but I would only do it in an emergency.

I'm assuming yours is a 6MT and that's why you're curious. The reason would be that you can damage the catalytic converter because the computer doesn't adjust the air/fuel mixture properly for a bump start. Most folks do it anyway, but I would only do it in an emergency.

OK thanks for the clarification.

Thanks paris1, for the detailed explanation. I drive manuals too, and was curious after reading the thread title.

Always good to know the "why". That said, our cars are getting pretty complex these days.

If you are worried about having a dead battery, purchase one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

I own one and have used it to jump start 3 cars since December - worked like a charm every time. I have yet to use it on the CX5, but I'm sure it will work just the same. It also holds its charge for months.

This is much better than jumper cables, because sometimes no one is around/willing to give you a jump.

Hi

I'm an old retired fart, so be kind to any ignorance I'm about to reveal. Can you push-start any vehicle with electronic ignition and fuel pump? With no electricity there would be no fuel flow and hence no start regardless of how fast you can run. As a lad I've had experience push-starting assorted civilian cars and smaller military vehicles; but these all lacked computers.

Brian

I'm an old retired fart, so be kind to any ignorance I'm about to reveal. Can you push-start any vehicle with electronic ignition and fuel pump? With no electricity there would be no fuel flow and hence no start regardless of how fast you can run. As a lad I've had experience push-starting assorted civilian cars and smaller military vehicles; but these all lacked computers.

Brian

Not to mention there is no distributor, and highly doubt double tap of ignition button would wake up computer to supply spark on push start. No fuel, no spark, no push start.

Back