uk alternatives - cx-5 vs ?

dad of jon

:
cx-5 se-l 2.2D
Hi all,

just thought it would be good to post how alternatives to the cx-5 compare.

I had an xtrail 1.6 n-tec for 2 days did about 650 miles and drove it for around 12 hours. A, B roads & motorway.

here's what I found:

the good:
great tech kit re: 360 degree cameras which are great to fit into parking spaces first time. great also for low speed manoeuvres.
display between rev counter & speedo, clear and high quality. used for various things.
electronic parking brake best one I've come across so far. Way better than the one on the vauxhall meriva.

the bad:
sluggish at busy roundabouts when needing to accelerate onto them as gap suddenly appears. engine is no more economical than cx-5 but is less refined and lower on power and low down grunt.
7 seater version eats into the boot space to much.
cx-5 much more fun to drive.
better hands free in cx-5
no commander dial.
styling is 'meh' compared to cx-5

x-trail gadgets on the whole very good, if the cx-5 could have those it would be the best of both worlds

Nissan X-Trail in the rest of the world = Nissan Rogue in the US? (scratch)

Speaking of UK alternatives-I was there about 2 years ago for the first time in 30 years (!!) and I was amazed at how the automotive landscape had transformed. In the early 80s when I last visited the British auto industry was in its death throes and there was absolutely nothing of any interest for the auto enthusiast to ogle. Flash forward 30 years and it appeared to me that there isn't a foreign car brand or model that isn't sold there. The variety was simply staggering for a Yank who is so tired of hearing "Oh there's no market for that here, so we'll just cherry pick the line (Mazda) or keep it out altogether (Alfa Romeo, up until recently). I hope you guys know how lucky you are, at least in this sense!

I personally would not own anything from Nissan after my 370Z experience. I am very happy with my CX-5, and for the money spent, have not found one vehicle I wish I had bought instead. The closest I come to that is the Forester 2.0XT, but I didn't like the idea of FI or a CVT, so it's kindof a wash.

This Renault has a 1.5L dCi 110 diesel engine. It has 110 ps(108 hp)@4,000 rpm and 192 lb-ft@1750-2750 rpm. Mazda SkyActiv-D 2.2L has 173 hp@4500 rpm and 310 lb-ft@2000 rpm. 74.3 mpg is pretty normal for an advanced diesel in Europe as it calculates with imperial gallon which is larger in unit. It will be 61.9 mpg when you converted to US gallon although it's still very impressive! It's equipped with stop/start function which is missing in US version of CX-5 as the "i-Stop". But look at the 12.0 sec. of 0-62 and see how many people in the US can accept that?

It's sad that everywhere else is developing more advanced diesel engines but we have done nothing here in the US!

But look at the 12.0 sec. of 0-62 and see how many people in the US can accept that?

0-60 should be 11 something then
people in the US have recently started to accept Forester's 9.5 sec, in a couple of years they might be happy to get 11 :)

Back