Back Up Camera on Demand

fvansan

:
2014 mazda cx 5 gt
I have a 2014 CX -5 GT. Let's face it, the rear view is not great. I wonder if there is a way to drive forward and turn on the camera for better rear visibility? Can this be done and has anyone been successful in doing so?

Press the power button and forward seek button on the radio at the same time. This will bring up a diagnostic menu. Enter code 92.

You lose all other functionality of the radio when doing this, but the camera will stay on until you press the power button again which will restart the radio.

I have a 2014 CX -5 GT. Let's face it, the rear view is not great. I wonder if there is a way to drive forward and turn on the camera for better rear visibility? Can this be done and has anyone been successful in doing so?

That would involve not only bypassing the switch that turns on the camera when the car is put into reverse, but also redirecting (and probably relocating) the backup camera lens. I haven't tried this but doubt it would be worthwhile.

It may be better to look into replacing the rear seat headrests with the lower profile non-North American versions. There's a thread about this elsewhere in the forum.

I removed the rear seat headrest to improve visibility, but the car's design is not optimal. So many blind spots that even the Blind-spot Monitor doesn't pick up on. This is a problem on many SUVs and very bad, in my opinion, on the CX-5.

I removed the rear seat headrest to improve visibility, but the car's design is not optimal. So many blind spots that even the Blind-spot Monitor doesn't pick up on. This is a problem on many SUVs and very bad, in my opinion, on the CX-5.

I also removed all 3 back headrests. Only the wife and I so we can get away with it. If you can get away with it, try it- makes a BIG difference! Had some left over hole plugs from an undercoat kit that fit the holes perfectly. Can put them back at anytime.

I've used the power+seek 92 trick a couple of times to read the license plate of cars that are way to close.
I have an after-market camera that see's the full view from horizon to straight down, perhaps the OEM doesn't have that wide angle?

Here's why: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...n-MY16-and-ended-up-with-a-grand-in-my-pocket

It is no longer acceptable to crush the occupants in rollover accidents. And also side impact accidents. So physics dictates putting big structural pieces in. The CX-5 has an excellent crush safety rating.

Back