2016 Miata Cx-5 owners poll

Do you want the 2016 Miata?

• I want the 2016 MX-5 and I'll be getting one

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I want the 2016 MX-5 but my wife/husband wouldn't let me get it.

• I'm too tall for the MX-5

• I'm too manly to drive an MX-5

• I'm too insecure to drive an MX-5

• Total voters

piotrek91

:
2013 CX-5 6MT
2016-mazda-mx-5-miata-club-test-review-car-and-driver-photo-658897-s-original.jpg

I am interested in a second car, and have test driven a 2015 Miata, but for me the trunk needs to be bigger. I want enough space to carry a set of golf clubs. I think Mazda would sell a lot more of this model if the entire car was about 15% to 20% larger. This would add quite a bit of practicality without much compromise to "driver experience" fun .
Instead of a Miata I may end up with a Mazda 2 or Mazda 3.

You buy a Miata to drive it around, not play golf. :p

I have an NC right now and once the NDs are a few years old, I'd be very tempted to trade up.

You buy a Miata to drive it around, not play golf. :p

I have an NC right now and once the NDs are a few years old, I'd be very tempted to trade up.

Maybe you drive a Miata to only "drive around".
I would buy a Miata to drive to the golf course. At least I would like to have that drive as an option. Some of the most "scenic drives" I know of are en route to a golf course or two. If not the golf course I may want to do a long weekend trip and carry a bit more luggage than the current Miata trunk size permits. If Mazda increased the size of the Miata by abount 15%, including the trunk space, I think Miata sales would have a significant increase,
I do understand (and appreciate) the racing-roadster Miata heritage, but that concept could still be honored with a little bit larger size Miata.

I am interested in a second car, and have test driven a 2015 Miata, but for me the trunk needs to be bigger. I want enough space to carry a set of golf clubs. I think Mazda would sell a lot more of this model if the entire car was about 15% to 20% larger. This would add quite a bit of practicality without much compromise to "driver experience" fun .
Instead of a Miata I may end up with a Mazda 2 or Mazda 3.

I think you've hit the nail on the head here, except that making the Miata 20% larger would move me to the "do not want category". There are plenty of sports cars larger than the Miata, but while they offer more performance and practicality, they just don't have the same appeal to me.

With the CX-5 I can get a certain percentage of the fun that a Miata offers.. that percentage is somewhere between 50-75%. Thanks to the practicality of the CX-5 I get many more opportunities to enjoy the car than I would with a Miata.

In a Miata, I can't heal-toe downshift on the way to Costco, I can't floor it up a mountain road on the way to my favorite bike trail, or haul camping gear up a windy, 9000+ foot one lane road at 2AM.

It's nice, but not even a consideration. I'm an 'empty nester' but I can't do without a back seat. I really like the Mazda brand, but my car, and its replacement, will be Bavarian for the foreseeable future.

It's nice, but not even a consideration. I'm an 'empty nester' but I can't do without a back seat. I really like the Mazda brand, but my car, and its replacement, will be Bavarian for the foreseeable future.
yea, it's nice to be able to got 120 and still have plenty of oopmh when on der Autobahn. I'm looking at a Mirage or RX-7 as my second.

yea, it's nice to be able to got 120 and still have plenty of oopmh when on der Autobahn. I'm looking at a Mirage or RX-7 as my second.

To be fair, my car is a '09 and I'm enjoying being 'free and clear'. Unfortunately, I bought it before the COMBOX was offered (and M-Sport), so Bluetooth streaming audio isn't in it. I really enjoy my wife's CX-5, if anything, just because of all the bells and whistles in it. I considered an X1 to replace the '14 when I totaled it, but I just can't justify the price for less options, not to mention it's a BMW, made in the US....also helps that my wife isn't really a car person.

But back on topic, the Miata is a sweet looking car, and I'd love to rent one for a weekend if the opportunity presents itself.

Last edited:
Back