Bad purchasing experience at Marketplace Mazda, Rochester, NY

helloworld

:
CX-5 GT AWD
Today I had a really bad experience at Marketplace Mazda, Rochester, NY.

I went there with the intention to buy a 2016 CX-5 AWD. This was after three visits and several email exchanges. The sales person agreed to my offered price and then confirmed in two separate emails. I went there today again to do the final test drive and sign the paperwork. The same sales person led me to a wrong vehicle, a FWD one instead of AWD one, with the obvious intention to deceive me. When I found this out after the test drive from the window sticker and pointed out his lie, he took it for granted and then had the audacity to haggle me again on the price! I immediately walked out. What a waste of time!

Such deceitful and disrespectful behavior is what gives car dealers such a bad reputation. It also taints Mazda the brand and seriously damages my confidence in buying cars from Mazda. I'll withhold buying any Mazda products until I hear from Mazda Customer Service how Mazda plans to address this issue.

Today I had a really bad experience at Marketplace Mazda, Rochester, NY.

I went there with the intention to buy a 2016 CX-5 AWD. This was after three visits and several email exchanges. The sales person agreed to my offered price and then confirmed in two separate emails. I went there today again to do the final test drive and sign the paperwork. The same sales person led me to a wrong vehicle, a FWD one instead of AWD one, with the obvious intention to deceive me. When I found this out after the test drive from the window sticker and pointed out his lie, he took it for granted and then had the audacity to haggle me again on the price! I immediately walked out. What a waste of time!

Such deceitful and disrespectful behavior is what gives car dealers such a bad reputation. It also taints Mazda the brand and seriously damages my confidence in buying cars from Mazda. I'll withhold buying any Mazda products until I hear from Mazda Customer Service how Mazda plans to address this issue.

Are you serious ?
Go back to that dealership, tell a salesperson which model, trim level, and color CX5 you want, and buy it.
If you are expecting some "high level of professional service", then you are dreaming. Whether it be Mazda, Honda, Toyota, Mercedes, BMW, or Rolls Royce, employees working at car dealerships are not "service oriented". You should never expect good service from a car dealership.

Last edited:
Better read my original post first before replying.

I told him exactly what I wanted (model, trim, color, option, you name it) and we agreed on the price in the email, twice. He then tried blatantly deceiving me: selling a FWD as an AWD. When caught, he simply acted there's nothing wrong doing so. It's not bad service -- it's fraud and should be criminal.

I would go to another dealership. To me this does not reflect poorly on the brand ... I hate buying any car from a slimy dealer, and there are plenty out there selling all manner of cars. I don't think I would report it up in the dealership to a "manager" because I have found if a sale person is a dirt bag .... It is usually a top down problem in the dealership starting with the owner. And if a good and decent sales person works there it is hard for them to conduct business in an honest way due to the sales practices of the dealership.

So while it is a bad experience I do not think it taints the brand itself ... All brands will have good and bad sales outlets .... Go buy a CX-5 somewhere else and enjoy.

Agreed. I would have walked up to another sales person in front of him to spite him. Try another dealer. I had one that didn't want to order the car I wanted so I never kept going with them

Better read my original post first before replying.

I told him exactly what I wanted (model, trim, color, option, you name it) and we agreed on the price in the email, twice. He then tried blatantly deceiving me: selling a FWD as an AWD. When caught, he simply acted there's nothing wrong doing so. It's not bad service -- it's fraud and should be criminal.

I understood your original post just fine. What I don't understand is why you were surprised by the salesperson's behavior. Fraud ? Criminal ?? You must be joking. Baiting and switching is standard operating procedure for most all car dealerships.

helloworld-

I would suggest you report the slimey salesperson's tactics to the sales manager, but it's likely the sales manager is just as slimey. I had a similar situation with a Hyundai dealer about five years ago. I drove around the DC beltway during rush hour only to find out the dealer didn't have the vehicle he said he had. Bait and switch. I ended up buying a Toyota instead.

While it's appropriate to update the forum members with your negative experience at a particular dealership, your frustrations are not going to be resolved by posting here. Don't expect anyone from Mazda to be reading these posts and responding to you. Call the corporate customer service number to complain. It won't likely get you anywhere but it may make you feel a little better... This is from the Contact page of the website: Call our Customer Experience Center at (800) 222-5500. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, 5:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Pacific Time, and Saturdays 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Pacific Time.

I got great service from the Mazda dealership in Longwood, FL...
Those guys were ultra professional, and worked with me each of the 4 times I visited them.
Gave me a great price on the CX and a great price on the M6 that I traded.
They were not pushy and actually wanted to sell me a car with more on it than the one that I bought for the same money.
I simply did not want a sunroof, so they found me one without it and brought it in.
I would and do recommend them to my friends whom since then also have purchased from them.

If you agreed on the model and price in an email. You should take the email to the sales manager and let them know if they don't honor it you will take it to the media.

The experience you had is why so many people don't want to buy a new car. They know there will be a lot of monkey business and even worse. When I was looking for my CX -5, I encountered a dealership that was in foreclosure. They brought in sales people from who knows where to temporarily sell cars. That experience was a real treat!! Nevertheless I continued my quest to buy a Mazda CX-5.I knew what consumer reports had to say about this brand of car and I trusted all the feedback they got on the vehicles. Good luck and don't give up.

Thank you all for your input. I'm over it by now. Runs out of time for car shopping this summer. Will try it again in the fall.

Just bought from Mazda of West Ridge in Spencerport after shopping around at all the local dealers (including Marketplace). I had a fantastic experience at West Ridge and can recommend a salesperson who doesn't screw around if you're interested. Feel free to PM me.

Just bought from Mazda of West Ridge in Spencerport after shopping around at all the local dealers (including Marketplace). I had a fantastic experience at West Ridge and can recommend a salesperson who doesn't screw around if you're interested. Feel free to PM me.

The OP's posts do not ring true. He claims to have made three separate visits to the dealership but now "ran out of time for car shopping this summer and will try again in the fall".
I don't buy it. My guess is that the Rochester dealership pegged the OP as a tire kicker who did not intend to actually buy a new car.

Thank you all for your input. I'm over it by now. Runs out of time for car shopping this summer. Will try it again in the fall.

That is the weirdest thing I have ever read and yeah now I call this thread bulls***.

Thank you, thebigshuck2. I'll try that in September.

It's hard to believe that some people here, presumably from Marketplace Mazda or other dealers, want to attack my integrity. You are so shameless!

A regular upright guy like me has more important things to do than buying cars, including my family, business, vacation, etc. Apparently you guys don't understand that. If this is how Mazda dealers treat their customers, then I'm done with Mazda.

Mod, please remove the two posts from DG_1234 and nXt, which I consider personal attack. Thank you.

Bob Penkhus mazda in Co Spgs was top notch! Sorry the OP had a bad experience, but I don't think it reflects on the brand.

I'm in Rochester, NY. Sorry to hear about your bad experience at MarketPlace. Ask for Toby at West Ridge Mazda. He gave me a great deal on my CX-5. It's a little bit of a hike, but they had the best price/shopping experience.

E
It's hard to believe that some people here, presumably from Marketplace Mazda or other dealers, want to attack my integrity. You are so shameless!

A regular upright guy like me has more important things to do than buying cars, including my family, business, vacation, etc. Apparently you guys don't understand that. If this is how Mazda dealers treat their customers, then I'm done with Mazda.

Mod, please remove the two posts from DG_1234 and nXt, which I consider personal attack. Thank you.

Sorry you got the condescending posts; you have the right to stop and start your purchase of a vehicle at any time. Past posts and jargon used suggests that it might be retaliation. I guess we should always remember that there may be "a wolf in sheep's clothing"when posting in a forum. Negative posts hurts the forum and the brand and hopefully will not continue.

Back