Starting the mods, how much power can I make with these mods?

Nascop5

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
I finally got a job that can pay me well enough to upgrade my car, I am looking at getting an SRI, Headers, MP3 ECU, and a cat back with the addition of using premium fuel. The parts are listed below. How much power and torque will I be making (theoretically) from the addition of these parts? I'm not expecting like 200hp/220tq at the crank or anything ridiculous. I'm expecting at an max of 160hp/170tq at the crank. If I got more I would be the happiest boy in the world. I'm not stopping here however, I'm looking to do both cams and change a few things maintenance wise, getting royal purple oil, performance spark plugs, custom tune to use higher octane fuel and raise the max RPM. Any more recommendations? I am not going forced induction unless the engine blows on me for the most random of reasons.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123746537-FS-MP3-ECU-150-shipping

Last edited:
In all honesty, assuming your P5 still makes the stock rated 130hp at the crank, with all of that youll probably be closer to 145-150hp

I get that number due to the MP3 being rated at 140hp with the ECU, premium fuel, catback and VTCS delete. So with an addition of headers and a SRI, youll probably make around 5-10 hp more, but if you have the headers and catback, why not just go catless or at least get a hi flow cat?

The best way to get any sort of NOTICEABLE gains with our motors is with a forced induction setup.

The exhaust system I purchased includes a high flow cat, I would go catless but I live in California where we have smog every other year, my friend with a p5 went catless and didn't pass, payed a lot of fees so he could get his car back on the road. Would a CAI get me any more power but keep my low end torque?

ssafc? I honestly would love to do a FSDET swap, I've looked into it but I cannot for the life of me find an FSDET, I would love to follow what Iracemine did to his car, but I would like to keep my AC and I'm not sure what of all the mods he listed is actually necessary and I don't think any car guru could really tell me what would be either. If I got 177 at the wheels like he did, oh boy would I be a happy camper.

just keep in mind it still wont pass the visual smog inspection with a high flow cat. When my p5 was NA i found that the injen CAI took away low end torque and was really just an expensive noise maker lol. Unless you can find one for really cheap i'd just stick with the stock airbox setup.

the SSAFC is a fuel controller used to lean out the really rich stock tune the msp comes with. Engine wise the p5 and msp are identical aside from different spark plugs. All you really have to do is just swap over all the turbo related parts, not the entire engine.

Why wouldn't it pass the visual smog inspection? Would that make my car not roadworthy to the state of California?

Also the parts that I'd need to swap over are basically Intercooler and it's piping, Turbo itself,oil return lines,BOV, turbo manifold and the nuts and bolts to connect all that if I'm not mistaken? In terms of engine management I would need the MSP ecu or to get mine flashed or just get a piggy back right?

Why wouldn't it pass the visual smog inspection? Would that make my car not roadworthy to the state of California?

the fact that you would have an aftermarket high flow cat. According to what i've read and seen you need to retain the oem cat(s) or replace them with a california approved one (most cats found online are only 49 state legal). Also if you added a header it would not pass either since it replaces the pre-cat.

Although depending on where you live in CA and where you get it tested can influence how strict the inspection is. Where I live it's impossible to pass with anything questionable unless you have some sort of hook-up.

Also the parts that I'd need to swap over are basically Intercooler and it's piping, Turbo itself,oil return lines,BOV, turbo manifold and the nuts and bolts to connect all that if I'm not mistaken? In terms of engine management I would need the MSP ecu or to get mine flashed or just get a piggy back right?

if you decide to run the stock msp intercooler you'll also need an msp radiator. stock manifold bolts are identical to the msp so you wont need those, but its always a good idea to replace them. A stock msp ecu will be fine, but adding a piggy back like the ssafc will help out a lot with the rich a/f ratio and hesitation that comes with the stock tune.

This guide will also help you out a lot

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...ng-your-P5-Here-s-a-guide-for-getting-started

I think I'm just going to stick with these Mods. From what Iracemine has said, its not easy to get that much power to the wheels NA, and it certainly isn't cheap or quick. I mainly want the ECU,Intake, and headers for the better MPG's,Definitely looking into changing that 5th out for something else. Any 5th gear replacement that EVERYONE does and has a lot of success with? Yes I'm aware Duncan's laws exist.

You can swap in the 5th gear from a Mazda 626 that drops the RPM's in 5th gear pretty significantly or so I've heard..

With all mods listed without cams or a tune u will most likely make 120-130 to the wheels. I put my old mp3 on the dyno with only a aem cai and made 110 to the wheels so with header and exhaust u will realistically will only make 10-20 more hp.

Is there an specific transmission option I am looking for here? Anywhere I can find the gear for sale online?

just be careful with those stake nuts.. they are on VERY tight. prob easier with the car on the ground somehow, or if someone holds the brakes while you try to get em with an impact/huge cheater bar.

I hope this does not sound harsh......but since you want a lil advice I'd say if you wanna stay NA save your money, in this particular application ( the Protg) you won't get anywhere near 160 to the wheels, that's just the simple TRUTH. Mazda never put as much into this particular platform as say Honda. The breathing capabilities of those motors are simply amazing! IMO you would be better off piecing together the parts necessary for going turbo, if you run 8psi on the stock engine you would be much much better off than doing the NA build up. Having spent thousands of dollars ( literally) on this platform, my advice?.....SAVE SAVE SAVE, while deciding the best most economic way to get the power you want weather it's 125 or 525hp

You're telling me I can run 8psi on stock internals? Any upgrades I'd need to make if I were to add about 1 or 1.5 bar to that? Anyway I'd be able to tune that myself at a dyno?

You're telling me I can run 8psi on stock internals? Any upgrades I'd need to make if I were to add about 1 or 1.5 bar to that? Anyway I'd be able to tune that myself at a dyno?

WOWZERS.......1.5bar (crazy) lol

Instead of telling you EVERYTHING you need, lemme ask you, What is the actual dollar amount you are willing to put into the Protg, and yes it's a serious question

Latest posts

Back