Anyone use seat covers?

:
2014 GT AWD / Tech / Skyblue
Hi all,

The CX-5 sits out in my driveway getting bake by the sun everyday. The rear is tinted so that's good. I do apply paint sealant and try to put on leather protection but just wondering if anyone uses seat covers or knows any decent (not too pricey) covers? Thought about putting t-shirts on but doesn't look all that good obviously.

Thanks...

51Ven-oNNjL._SX425_.jpg

I'm thinking of getting these? ...(lol2)
I don't know if this pertains to CX-5's? - "Note: Not recommended for vehicles with side airbags or side airbag sensors."

Last edited:
Hi all,

The CX-5 sits out in my driveway getting bake by the sun everyday. The rear is tinted so that's good. I do apply paint sealant and try to put on leather protection but just wondering if anyone uses seat covers or knows any decent (not too pricey) covers? Thought about putting t-shirts on but doesn't look all that good obviously.

Thanks...

Meguiars has a once (or twice) a year application product which works well at protecting leather against sun rays.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

It is more than a typical cleaner or conditioner. It is actually a protective sealant with a 24 hour cure time. You wrote that you did use some leather protection, does it happen to be this product ?

In my opinion seat covers are o.k. for back seats with kids and pets, but for my front seats I bought the leather and want to enjoy the look and touch of it.

Meguiars has a once (or twice) a year application product which works well at protecting leather against sun rays.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

It is more than a typical cleaner or conditioner. It is actually a protective sealant with a 24 hour cure time. You wrote that you did use some leather protection, does it happen to be this product ?

In my opinion seat covers are o.k. for back seats with kids and pets, but for my front seats I bought the leather and want to enjoy the look and touch of it.

I use this leather protection http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/leather+care+16+ounces.do

Yes, i think the leather seat looks great but i don't mind covering it up for the 4 months or so of summer just to prolong the life of the leather. I also have another car that is sitting outside all the time and that one has t-shirts on but once again it doesn't look all that good. :)

I use this leather protection http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/leather+care+16+ounces.do

Yes, i think the leather seat looks great but i don't mind covering it up for the 4 months or so of summer just to prolong the life of the leather. I also have another car that is sitting outside all the time and that one has t-shirts on but once again it doesn't look all that good. :)

If you are consistent with your application of leather protectant I do not believe your leather seat color will fade.
Also, one very helpful product is the Covercraft windshield sun shade. I have used these custom made shades for my various vehicles, for years.

Here is a link to one retailer, but many online sites sell the Covercraft brand.

http://www.autoanything.com/driving-accessories/60A1228A0A0.aspx

If you are consistent with your application of leather protectant I do not believe your leather seat color will fade.
Also, one very helpful product is the Covercraft windshield sun shade. I have used these custom made shades for my various vehicles, for years.

Here is a link to one retailer, but many online sites sell the Covercraft brand.

http://www.autoanything.com/driving-accessories/60A1228A0A0.aspx

That's funny. I have the exact windshield sun shade. LOL. With that up and the rear tinted the only sun ray coming in is the front, thus I wanted to cover the front seats.

Hi all,

Thanks...
I never did in any of my vehicles with leather. The oldest cars I owned with leather was a 1995 Trans Am, which I kept until around 2004, and an Infiniti G20 with leather, which was a 2002, which I kept until 2012. I also had a 2001 Trans Am that I kept until 2010.

NONE of them had sun damage to the leather, except for the Trans Ams, which the back seat which sits directly under the rear glass dried some, and pulled/cracked a touch at the threads in the top of the seat.

I never applied any sort of leather conditioner. I cleaned my seats with damp cloths. The backs of the Trans Am seats in the rear were protected by draping a towel over them. That towel bleached from black to charcoal pretty fast. It was a VERY nasty environment with the sun beating directly down on them, and they still were not horrible.

The main wear from leather comes from abrasion of fat people getting in and out of a vehicle and mushing the side bolster. I bought my first Trans Am from a rather large guy, and the driver's side bolster was rubbed pretty darn raw.

I never did in any of my vehicles with leather. The oldest cars I owned with leather was a 1995 Trans Am, which I kept until around 2004, and an Infiniti G20 with leather, which was a 2002, which I kept until 2012. I also had a 2001 Trans Am that I kept until 2010.

NONE of them had sun damage to the leather, except for the Trans Ams, which the back seat which sits directly under the rear glass dried some, and pulled/cracked a touch at the threads in the top of the seat.

I never applied any sort of leather conditioner. I cleaned my seats with damp cloths. The backs of the Trans Am seats in the rear were protected by draping a towel over them. That towel bleached from black to charcoal pretty fast. It was a VERY nasty environment with the sun beating directly down on them, and they still were not horrible.

The main wear from leather comes from abrasion of fat people getting in and out of a vehicle and mushing the side bolster. I bought my first Trans Am from a rather large guy, and the driver's side bolster was rubbed pretty darn raw.

Interesting. I have a 10 yr old G35 but it was kept in garage at all times (now sitting outside) but the leather is still in very good condition but it was garage kept. Ok, I won't have to worry about being the "big dude" rubbing on the leather getting in and out.

How so? I've never had that problem at all. In fact the wet okoles breathe pretty well and they definitely don't burn you or anything when you sit down on a sunny day. The jeep guys love em, and they're all in convertibles.

Stock CX-5 leather, on the other hand...youch!

I've always used genuine sheepskin, warm in winter, cool in summer. I have one on passenger side, need to figure what I'm going to do with driver side. I find they make a comfortable seat even better. Will have to remove in winter for heated seat use

Back