Lost connection with the dashboard / gages

Mayoo

:
Mazda CX-5 GS
Hi all,

I am reaching out to you to see if anyone has the same problem as I do.

My CX-5 had just a little short of one year usage when, while driving, I lost connection with the dashboard (the gauges). All warning lights that could light up were on, all gauges were put at 0 (RPM, Speed, etc.). So yeah, I wasn't seeing the RPM nor the speed WHILE DRIVING. I also saw that the ABS was not working, after 2-3 breaking, the pedal was hard to push on. I was loosing my rear camera. Everything came back after I restart the car (which requires 2-5 cycles due to all the errors). I went to the dealer and they tried a fix by changing a certain controller unit. They said that neither them or Mazada Canada engineers have seen something like it.

A few weeks later, it happened again. This time, the dealer had a service bulletin for something similar that was saying that one cable had too much paint and that the connection was lost sometime.

A few weeks later, today, it happened again. This time, I was parked. And at one time, the motor stopped by itself.

1. Did anyone had that problem before?
  2. If so, how did they fix?
  3. Given the dangerous nature of this problem and the fact that it wasn't fixed in 2 attempts (where Mazda has clearly no clue what is going on), should I ask for a new car claiming I have a lemon?

Disclaimer : I always loved Mazda. I take this problem seriously even thought I understand the whole situation. On one side, for Mazda, this is a "minor problem" with only one part. On my side, the consumer, I get really nervous when this happens, it is dangerous because I can't see my speed and the brakes are failing slowly. Plus all the time that I loosed being at the dealer instead of working, and the time spent by the dealer repairing something for free. All of this makes me think I should really ask for a new car. The one I have clearly has something weird going on. (I also had a problem with the ventilation harness, ventilation modes were mixed up and front wasn't working). I also started to have the rough idle problem, will ask them tomorrow when I call the dealer. And the car is barely one year old!

EDIT :

TLDR
- Loose randomly dashboard info. All warning on, brakes fail slowly, no rear camera, no RPM, no Speed. Problem recurring after 2 repairs. Mazda doesn't have a clue what this is.
- Also had ventilation problem with harness. Modes were screwed up, front no working.
- Rough idle problem recently showed up.
- Car is barely 1 year old

Should I claim that I have a lemon and ask for a new car? (Given the first problem is really dangerous)

Last edited:
Not sure how lemon laws work in Canada, but it's worth a shot to ask. It wouldn't surprise me though if you have to ask Mazda corporate, as I don't know how well dealerships would respond to that request.

I believe there is minimum change to get your CX-5 replaced. The only way Mazda will do is to fix it and may be give you an extended warranty. But you have to call Mazda North American Operations and escalate the situation. To me, your problem may be simply caused by some bad grounding or connections but it takes time to fix it. I'd ask MNAO to send a qualified engineer assisting your dealer to diagnose the problem. In the mean time they should give you a comparable loaner until they think they found the culprit and fix the problem. I remember there was a guy having engine problem and dealer couldn't fix it. I don't know what happened to him eventually.

Back