What do you LIKE about the 2016 CX-5?

Dr Kev

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring
My purpose in starting this thread is two-fold. The first reason is to provide a more-balanced look at the 2016. The second purpose is to call attention to new, helpful features, "Easter eggs," etc. for new or potential owners.

Love the LED lighting.
I'm on the short list it seems but, I really like the Bose (9spkr) system.
After this weekend, I really like the AWD (came really close to getting stuck in the mud out in the middle of nowhere!)
I like the Zoom-Zoom feel of it, even for a CUV
Handling is really good for a CUV of this size.
Fit and finish feels very "premium".

no easter eggs here:

1. No CVT
2. No turbo
3. Lights - LED everything

essential things, to me at least
so imo there are no alternatives to cx5 on cuv market

1. Comfort- based on what I heard, I thought it had borderline comfort.
2. Bose stereo-I think it really rocks - I know I can get the rear view mirror to vibrate.
3.most of all ... The ride-drives like a sports car.
4.i feel tall in the saddle when I drive it..... I'm over six feet!
5. The lines .... It's got great lines.
6. With the predator headlights and the Eagle-eye tail lights, it's a "don't mess with me" SUV

no easter eggs here:

1. No CVT
2. No turbo

These are exactly the same thing I feel towards the 2016 CX-5! I'm glad to see someone else has the same opinion like I do! (drinks)

nice smooth gearbox
comfortable seats and positioning ( I am also over 6ft and the seats not fully aft )
great lighting (std halogen )
quiet diesel engine ( turbo)
and the hand brake sitting beside me gets to nap on a trip lol

nice smooth gearbox
comfortable seats and positioning ( I am also over 6ft and the seats not fully aft )
great lighting (std halogen )
quiet diesel engine ( turbo)
and the hand brake sitting beside me gets to nap on a trip lol

Like:

styling
color (soul read)
cool gadgets, including "Audi" info/audio controls
el. brake
fun drive
good mpg
LED lights
stereo

Not fair "diesel engine"

no easter eggs here:

1. No CVT
2. No turbo

I'm approaching my one year anniversary, but, I like to keep on top of my next purchase. If I had to do it again, today, it would still be the CX-5 Touring FWD. As much as I love my 2015, the 2016 is even better, I like the LEDs, I like the wheels better, and I like the nicer turn signal in the mirror(mine is the squarish style).

It's probably 4 years out before I'll be purchasing my next CUV, so, I'll be watching closely to make my decision easier when the time comes.

I'm approaching my one year anniversary, but, I like to keep on top of my next purchase. If I had to do it again, today, it would still be the CX-5 Touring FWD. As much as I love my 2015, the 2016 is even better, I like the LEDs, I like the wheels better, and I like the nicer turn signal in the mirror(mine is the squarish style).

It's probably 4 years out before I'll be purchasing my next CUV, so, I'll be watching closely to make my decision easier when the time comes.

Do you have the vibration issue with your mirrors? If so, doesn't the mirror TSB put the new style mirrors on? Sorry if wrong on that. For those that don't know the '16 mirrors were put on the '15's manufactured 4/2014 and later.

I'm actually pretty happy with BOSE unit in mine. I assume it is basically the same core unit as '16 but driven by different head unit.

Do you have the vibration issue with your mirrors? If so, doesn't the mirror TSB put the new style mirrors on? Sorry if wrong on that. For those that don't know the '16 mirrors were put on the '15's manufactured 4/2014 and later.

I'm actually pretty happy with BOSE unit in mine. I assume it is basically the same core unit as '16 but driven by different head unit.

Vibration issue? I've got the volume and bass turned up on the high side. I expect the mirror to vibrate a little.

I like the LED lighting much more than I thought I would. And the Rear Cross Traffic Alert is excellent, especially in a busy parking lot.

I'm loving the cargo space with the full hatch door. So easy to load and unload things. (I've never had anything but a sedan before.)

I have arthritis and the CX5 is so easy for me to get in and out of without having to do pull-ups!

I like the extra input on traffic in the next lane when I want to shift lanes. I still follow the discipline of looking over my shoulder but it's really nice to have the confirmation of the alert.

[I look at these and see that they're each tied to my age category! Have spent nearly 7 decades on the planet.]

Let's see...

1) The overall styling. Whether it's the lines, the LED headlights/tail lights, the awesome 19" wheels, the kick-ass parchment white/black interior, or even just the red paint I chose, the styling is NO QUESTION the best in its class. I can't even begin to mention all of the comments I've gotten about what a good-looking car it is. It feels like I'm driving a luxury car, and although I know it's not a luxury car, it's not far off.
2) Safety features. Yes, I'm boring this way, but I love the blind-spot monitoring, rear-view camera, and rear cross-traffic alert that come with the options I chose, just to name a few. It's not a self-driving car by any means, but having these types of features available in this car's class and price-range definitely put my mind at ease.
3) Infotainment system. This one's the best in its CUV class as well, the controls are great and the screen is great, the system is easy to use, and it's a huge improvement over the old system. Would've preferred the tacked-on tablet look, but that's just a very minor quibble.
4) Excellent MPG. I still can't get over how they managed to improve the MPG on the CX-5 a couple years ago without sacrificing any of the performance.
5) Excellent handling. Also best-in-class. No other CUVs even come close. My CX-5 is a blast to drive, even though the roads around here are crap.
6) Excellent transmission. Again, best-in-class IMO (are you seeing a trend here?). Very, very smooth gear shifts and while the sport mode isn't a game-changer, it's still a lot more useful/better than the other sport modes I've seen in other CUVs.
7) Interior layout is logical. It's been a long time since I've had a car that had an interior layout that I didn't like, but there's nothing worse than wishing your cup-holder or nav screen was closer.
8) Seating position is great. A perfect fit for me, and I'm 6'2" tall.
9) Large on the inside, but small on the outside. This vehicle fits into some tight spots, yet still feels very spacious inside, has plenty of storage space, and lots of headroom in both the front and rear of the vehicle.
10) Again, somehow Mazda managed to accomplish all of the improvements they've made to this vehicle that was already an excellent car without sacrificing the vehicle's performance. Sure, I would prefer a turbo and a bit more HP, but the performance is right on-par with all of the other vehicles in its class. This, above all else, may by Mazda's greatest achievement for this vehicle.

Dislikes... only one. Where's the foot-activated power rear lift-gate with a trunk release on the key fob? This seems like something that should at least be optional. Maybe next year's model will have it, but it feels like this car should have it.

Everything else that would even remotely constitute a complaint for me is really just wishful thinking, like having a panoramic sun-roof, a good heads-up display, a power seat on the passenger side, or power folding mirrors. But, these are all minor things that aren't really complaints, just stuff that I would want if I could have the "perfect" car. Otherwise, I love my car!

I have the GT '15 w/Tech so have the HID headlights. I converted everything else to LED. Got mine on a 3 year lease and really hopeful we'll have the diesel engine option in the US by 2018. Be interesting to see what the major update in '17 brings...

I'm loving the cargo space with the full hatch door. So easy to load and unload things. (I've never had anything but a sedan before.)

I have arthritis and the CX5 is so easy for me to get in and out of without having to do pull-ups!

I like the extra input on traffic in the next lane when I want to shift lanes. I still follow the discipline of looking over my shoulder but it's really nice to have the confirmation of the alert.

[I look at these and see that they're each tied to my age category! Have spent nearly 7 decades on the planet.]
You are not alone when you share the features you like about the CX-5 and your decades on the planet. However, I prefer to see it as 60+ trips around the sun.

Latest posts

Back