Free Permaplate - Do it?

Drm31078

:
2016 CX-5 GT
Dealer does free permaplate on exterior paint and interior leather when you purchase a vehicle from them. Any reason why I shouldn't have him do it on my 16 cx-5 gt? There is no hidden fees or anything. No warranty on it unless I purchase it, but they do first application free. Will it harm the leather or paint?

I would do it if they are offering it for free. I've never heard of permaplate but the protection coating all seem to be about the same thing. The coating offered at my dealership allowed them to spray paint the hood, light it on fire, and it just wiped off! My dealership wanted $1500 to do the coating inside and out. I opted not to get it due to the cost. Instead I used an over the counter sealant from turtle wax. It was cheap and says it last 12+ months. Next go around I plan on using optimum opti-seal which is suppose to last 2-3 years.

Keep in mind that if you ever want clear bra installed on the front they have to buff off that dealer applied coating.

Ok. Just wasn't sure if it harmed anything. Like I heard armor all is terrible stuff for the interior. I don't want anything that will harm the leather.

However, It might be too late since I think they automatically put it on their cars before they sell them.

Also I thought most of these paint protections could be removed with dawn soap and water? Does it really need to be buffed?

Yes the applied ones that are sprayed on the car are designed to last at least 7-10 years. Dish soap won't do much to them.

There seems to be much urban myth and many outlandish claims for various paint sealants. What I have never seen is something like an electron microscope examination of surfaces coated with these sealants to see how long they actually persist on painted metal exposed to the elements. The cynic in me leads me to suspect the science would not support the manufacturer's claims.

Yes the applied ones that are sprayed on the car are designed to last at least 7-10 years. Dish soap won't do much to them.

Well they put it on for free. If I want a warranty I have to pay for it. I am not getting the warranty. They did a crappy job with the leather like they didn't move the seatbelts in the back so there is a streak. So I have to bring it back. Probably should have skipped it but nothing I can do now I guess.

Back