Average Speed Information?

Drm31078

:
2016 CX-5 GT
Just drove off the lot with my 2016 CX-5 GT and I was driving on the highway and noticed my average speed indicates 16 mph? I have 30 miles on the car. Does it take a little time for this to register or do I have a problem?

Just to be clear is am talking 16 miles per hour (not gallon) when I drove 30 miles on the highway. Shouldn't it be at least 50 mph?

Just to be clear is am talking 16 miles per hour (not gallon) when I drove 30 miles on the highway. Shouldn't it be at least 50 mph?

What does the odometer read ?
You have driven 30 miles but maybe (prior to your taking possession) the car was driven around the dealer lot , several times, at 2 mph.

You can always reset it and test it out again. Yeah, this average speed thing seems not very useful and always lower than what you think it should be. The value always stays around 19~22 mph for us as we do city driving most of time. It's not just on our CX-5 but also on other cars we have.

I tracked my mileage for the first 20 or so tank fulls, resetting the average mpg when filling up, and the calculated average MPG was usually withing approx 1 MPG, sometimes over, sometimes under, but, usually still within 1MPG either way. So, I figure it's a SWAG within 1 MPG is close enough to tell me how I'm doing.

I tracked my mileage for the first 20 or so tank fulls, resetting the average mpg when filling up, and the calculated average MPG was usually withing approx 1 MPG, sometimes over, sometimes under, but, usually still within 1MPG either way. So, I figure it's a SWAG within 1 MPG is close enough to tell me how I'm doing.
Uhh, we're talking average miler per hour here, not average miles per gallon.

And if you ever figure out a practical use for this function, please let me know!

I use it to calculate city vs hwy splits for fuel economy calculations.

Here's a link to show how to calculate it.
http://www.fuelly.com/tips/555/Find-your-true-cityhighway-driving-splits

So every time I fill up, I calculate the avg MPG for the tank, calculate the city vs hwy split, reset the avg MPG and avg MPH and log it all into fuelly.
http://www.fuelly.com/car/mazda/cx-5/2014/deepfriedsushi/189459

Back