AC always comes on when turning climate control on?

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech & i-Activesense
When ever I turn the climate control on, even if I have the temp set to 90, the AC indicator is displayed. Is this normal? Why would the AC be turning on when the heat is set to high? I could see it coming on if I wanted it colder then the inside of the car but not with the heat. Does it do it to remove humidity or something and then turn itself off? Just seems strange to me to have to turn the AC off when I want heat every time.

Switch these. AC will come on automatically whenever air is being drawn in from the outside rather than recirculated (I think, or maybe it's the other way around).

df92ty.jpg

I have the '16 so my controls are different and switches those buttons doesn't change anything. but thanks

Switching the buttons won't turn off the AC in and of itself. You have to switch the button and then turn AC off. I'm just saying that AC will come on automatically if you have the settings to intake air from the outside, regardless of what the temperature is.

I noticed this as well. Once I pushed the A/C button to off, it has not come back on. I do have it set to fresh air rather than circulated, so maybe that make a difference. I will have to play with it.

That is unfortunately the way they work

When ever I turn the climate control on, even if I have the temp set to 90, the AC indicator is displayed. Is this normal? Why would the AC be turning on when the heat is set to high? I could see it coming on if I wanted it colder then the inside of the car but not with the heat. Does it do it to remove humidity or something and then turn itself off? Just seems strange to me to have to turn the AC off when I want heat every time.

Agreed, but That is unfortunately the way they work. Had a 2013 Outback that worked the same way, so I am used to tapping the A/C button again to switch the compressor off.

I think the OP is being misunderstood here. He/she seems to be referring to "automatic climate control", not the standard HVAC as shown in the post #2 picture. If that's the case, he's probably noticing the same thing my wife's BMW does which is default to A/C as a starting point when the engine is turned on even though clearly A/C is not needed. It then reads the ambient cabin temp and makes adjustments as necessary. I don't have climate control in my CX-5, but I think that's what the OP is commenting on. Right OP?

Mine has auto climate as well

I think the OP is being misunderstood here. He/she seems to be referring to "automatic climate control", not the standard HVAC as shown in the post #2 picture. If that's the case, he's probably noticing the same thing my wife's BMW does which is default to A/C as a starting point when the engine is turned on even though clearly A/C is not needed. It then reads the ambient cabin temp and makes adjustments as necessary. I don't have climate control in my CX-5, but I think that's what the OP is commenting on. Right OP?

Mine has auto climate control as well, and when you turn on the heater, it defaults to A/C, but with warm air, assuming the temp control is set higher than the inside temp.

You guys are all in the right area. Ill tell you what I tell our customers....read the owners manual. Auto control means auto!!!!. The hvac mixed with the ambiet sensor and sunload sensor will do what it thinks is best to get to the temp you want. Which also means vents too. If you don't like this take off of Auto. With auto you just set the temp. CX auto will take care of the rest. So if your A/C is coming on at a temp no matter what it is...CX is doing this for a reason. MAZDA TECH CERTIFIED. we have had a few complaints and questions about how it works.

If you think the way that A/C button and indicator mean "the A/C compressor is readily available to use", then you'll be able to follow the logic behind it. This is not the Mazda way; as the matter of fact, every "Automatic Climate Control" system with a A/C button will act this way. Although the A/C indicator is on, that doesn't mean the compressor is turning or the cooling is in work. Compressor is controlled by several sensors, not just by your A/C button. For example, if ambient temperature is 40F and you set "Automatic Climate Control" temperature to 68F. If you push the A/C button and its indicator is on, the compressor is not necessary turning depending on several sensors' feedbacks; i.e. if you set the Mode to defrost then the compressor will be turning. But the heated air is guaranteed coming in. Since the A/C button on "Automatic Climate Control" is confusing to its purpose, VW changed the name of the button to "ECON" on its "Automatic Climate Control" system.
Back to old days, you push the A/C button, the compressor is almost guaranteed on. But with more complex Automatic Climate Control nowadays, this is not true anymore. On the other hand, if you want to make sure the compressor is off no matter what, then push the A/C button to make the A/C indicator disappear. That's why VW calls the same button "ECON" which may make more sense.

If you think the way that A/C button and indicator mean "the A/C compressor is readily available to use", then you'll be able to follow the logic behind it. This is not the Mazda way; as the matter of fact, every "Automatic Climate Control" system with a A/C button will act this way. Although the A/C indicator is on, that doesn't mean the compressor is turning or the cooling is in work. Compressor is controlled by several sensors, not just by your A/C button. For example, if ambient temperature is 40F and you set "Automatic Climate Control" temperature to 68F. If you push the A/C button and its indicator is on, the compressor is not necessary turning depending on several sensors' feedbacks; i.e. if you set the Mode to defrost then the compressor will be turning. But the heated air is guaranteed coming in. Since the A/C button on "Automatic Climate Control" is confusing to its purpose, VW changed the name of the button to "ECON" on its "Automatic Climate Control" system.
Back to old days, you push the A/C button, the compressor is almost guaranteed on. But with more complex Automatic Climate Control nowadays, this is not true anymore. On the other hand, if you want to make sure the compressor is off no matter what, then push the A/C button to make the A/C indicator disappear. That's why VW calls the same button "ECON" which may make more sense.

This. Even my '06 3, which had non-auto A/C, would cycle the compressor based on some input. You could hear it at idle.

Correct
Ok this makes sense. It's basically just saying that the system is "ready" if the sensors determine that the A/c pump actually needs to be run. I was just worried that it was running the compressor all the time but I guess that is not the case. Thanks for the responses everyone and helping me solve this question.

My Wife has an Audi and that has the Econ button so that makes sense.

Ok this makes sense. It's basically just saying that the system is "ready" if the sensors determine that the A/c pump actually needs to be run. I was just worried that it was running the compressor all the time but I guess that is not the case...
My Wife has an Audi and that has the Econ button so that makes sense.
Audi, VW, they are the same family. If my memory serves me correctly, Mercedes has ECON instead of A/C button too.
On our CX-5 I always push the A/C button to keep the A/C indicator off in order to get a little better fuel economy unless I really need cooling or defogging. The ECNO button makes more sense as when we push it, it turns the A/C compressor off and hence we're getting better fuel economy!

Yeah, we gotta' start reading the owners manual. if you don't find answers there, try the "search" button. If those two options fail to answer, then we're all happy to help.

I do the same but,

Audi, VW, they are the same family. If my memory serves me correctly, Mercedes has ECON instead of A/C button too.
On our CX-5 I always push the A/C button to keep the A/C indicator off in order to get a little better fuel economy unless I really need cooling or defogging. The ECNO button makes more sense as when we push it, it turns the A/C compressor off and hence we're getting better fuel economy!

I do the same with one caveat...I do let it run a bit, even in the winter, to keep the compressor seals lubed! If they happen to dry out...you are in for an expensive repair..(boom03)

Yeah, we gotta' start reading the owners manual. if you don't find answers there, try the "search" button. If those two options fail to answer, then we're all happy to help.

Search??? What is this search you speak of??? I always hear people talk about this mystical entity known as search that solves all problems with 100% accuracy yet it some how always seems to elude me.

Seriously though, I did search and didn't find an answer to my question and the gentlemen known as Man-ual was of no help either. I'm still a bit confused as to whether or not the compressor is running or not when the AC indicator is on. If the AC indicator is lit but the compressor is not running, it should have effect on gas mileage whatsoever so the previous post about turning it off to save fuel makes no sense to me. I'm not an idiot, I know how to use the internet and the search function. I also have an owners manual and know how to read. My biggest pet peeve on forums is when people just say to search and offer up no help. Maybe the person did search and didn't find what they were looking for, maybe their search terms weren't correct to return the proper results. If you're going to tell someone to search maybe help them out and post a link to thread that they might have missed. It's a 2016 with the new climate control system and infotainment system so I don't expect to find much pertaining to it.

... I'm still a bit confused as to whether or not the compressor is running or not when the AC indicator is on. If the AC indicator is lit but the compressor is not running, it should have effect on gas mileage whatsoever so the previous post about turning it off to save fuel makes no sense to me.
Just use your common sense and think this way: if you need cooling or defogging, then make sure the A/C indicator is on. This way your A/C compressor most likely is on and use more gas. If you don't need cooling or defogging, then make sure the A/C indicator is off. This way you keep A/C compressor off and you can save some gas for sure.
Personally I don't like the search function offered by many car boards as they're all sucked. I don't mind to see some questions which have been asked many times before. Someone will be kind enough to answer it. You'll never know that you may learn something new.

Just use your common sense and think this way: if you need cooling or defogging, then make sure the A/C indicator is on. This way your A/C compressor most likely is on and use more gas. If you don't need cooling or defogging, then make sure the A/C indicator is off. This way you keep A/C compressor off and you can save some gas for sure.
Personally I don't like the search function offered by many car boards as they're all sucked. I don't mind to see some questions which have been asked many times before. Someone will be kind enough to answer it. You'll never know that you may learn something new.
Sorry, but I'm gonna disagree with you on that one. Granted, most forum search functions are not very good, but it's just plain rude and lazy not to make some attempt to find an answer to your question before posting it for what may be the gazillionth time!

Sorry, but I'm gonna disagree with you on that one. Granted, most forum search functions are not very good, but it's just plain rude and lazy not to make some attempt to find an answer to your question before posting it for what may be the gazillionth time!
So your basically calling me rude and lazy? Well guess what A-hole, pull the stick out of your rear end and stop being a detriment to the community!!! I searched for "A/C", "climate control" and "air conditioning" and each of those returned very few results, and none pertaining to my question. I search for titles only, I don't have the time to read thru a 150 page thread to find where they breifly touched in my question on page 63 or something. A searchable term should be in the title of the thread, it's common sense. The owners manual just says that when you turn the climate control on that the a/c is activated. I simply wanted to know what that meant. Is it constantly running the compressor or not. I hate when arrogant pricks reply to thread by saying "search!" After a while all you end up with is a bunch of threads that ask questions and the only answer is to search. Well gues what happens next? The next person dies search and has to read through a crap load of threads that just say to search in order to find one that sort of answers the question. AAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHHH

As I said, that was my personal opinion. Most people will do some sort of search before posting a question. If someone did post a question been asked before, that's find with me too. We saw duplicated questions been asked all the time. If you don't like it, you can always just skip it!

Back