Oil Level on New CX-5

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
Has anybody checked the oil level on his/her new CX-5? I checked mine and it's about 3/4 between Low and Full marks. I checked friend's and it's the same. Is it normal like this and is this another Mazda way to save cost by putting a little less Mazda oil in new engine?

I have not checked mine yet, but 3/4 between Low and Full is acceptable range, better than over filling.

As long as its between the low and high mark, it is in range and there is no issue. There is likely very little difference between the low and high in terms of volume of oil. Oil level may differ slightly depending on if its hot or cold or if your car is parked on a level surface or not and how soon you check it after the engine has been run since some oil will be in other parts of the engine and haven't drained down to the pan yet. I wouldn't worry about it when its between the two marks.

It's probably fine.
It also could be, that is burning oil, not necessarily cost saving.

As long as its between the low and high mark, it is in range and there is no issue. There is likely very little difference between the low and high in terms of volume of oil. Oil level may differ slightly depending on if its hot or cold or if your car is parked on a level surface or not and how soon you check it after the engine has been run since some oil will be in other parts of the engine and haven't drained down to the pan yet. I wouldn't worry about it when its between the two marks.

This. As long as it is within the marks it is considered within spec. I do my own oil changes and shot for half or three quarters of the way in between the marks.

This has been covered here before. It's perfectly normal. During and oil/filter change, when you refill the sump with the recommended amount of oil, that's where it inevitably ends up on the stick.

The reason I asked this question is because all the new cars we've owned, the oil level has always been at or very near the top/full mark of the dipstick from factory fill. I also noticed that many people did the oil change on SkyActiv-G 2.5 and had found out that, although the owner's manual calls for 4.8 US qt. for oil change with Mazda oil filter, pouring in 5 US qt. of oil would only brought up to 3/4 between marks. This is odd to me too as other cars it will bring up to the top/full mark, if not a bit over, if I pour in specified amount of oil for oil change.

It's the same story on the 2.0 engine. I put in 4.5 qts which gets it a little closer to the full line than the recommended 4.4 qts, but not quite all the way. It is what it is. These are mass produced products and come complete with idiosyncracies at no extra charge.

It takes about 5.2 quarts to get to full line on mine. I had same concern when mine was new. It is normal.

It takes about 5.2 quarts to get to full line on mine. I had same concern when mine was new. It is normal.
So you're putting in 5 qt. for convenience or 5.2 qt. for peace of mind?

So you're putting in 5 qt. for convenience or 5.2 qt. for peace of mind?

Probably piece of mind more than anything else for filling to top line. IMO it would be easier to track an oil consumption issue if one ever cropped up.

I believe - and someone correct me if I'm wrong - that it's 1 quart between the full and fill lines. So if you're at 3/4 up from the fill line, then you're short 1/4 of a quart. If you can take 5 quarts (rounding to make the math easier) then being down 1/4 of a quart means you are 95% full. Nothing to worry about.

When I change the oil/filter on my 2014 2.5L engine, I put in a 5 quart jug (WM) and the level is approx. 3/4 up from the min line. I find this good. Ed

Back