1st Oil Change

Bob-Loblaw

:
2016 CX-5 GT
So I'm sitting at 3,100 miles now and beginning to contemplate my 1st oil change. I understand there are break in fluids and what not in the vehicle and I believe some people like to get the 1st oil change done early. I fall in to the Schedule 1 category and have the Oil Monitor set to "flexible" so according to the manual I just wait for the wrench indicator light to come on. I thought my dealer recommended bringing it back at 4,000 miles though. How are you guys handling or planning to handle the 1st oil change?

Oil changes don't have to be complicated. I would just follow the manufacturers recommendations on maintenance. Considering this engine uses synthetic oil id venture even the 4k interval is too early, but you should follow the manufacturers directive. You dealer isn't honoring the warranty, the manufacturer is.

So I'm sitting at 3,100 miles now and beginning to contemplate my 1st oil change. I understand there are break in fluids and what not in the vehicle and I believe some people like to get the 1st oil change done early. I fall in to the Schedule 1 category and have the Oil Monitor set to "flexible" so according to the manual I just wait for the wrench indicator light to come on. I thought my dealer recommended bringing it back at 4,000 miles though. How are you guys handling or planning to handle the 1st oil change?
I set my oil change monitor to "Flexible" too. But for some reason I couldn't set to "Flexible" on my friend's 2016 CX-5 GT! His manufactured in December, 2015; mine manufactured in February 2016. May be we have different version of software?
Honestly I really don't know on when should I do the first oil change. I'd been always made the first oil change very early as the old-school thinking. But I've heard "break-in" oil theory too. I may just change it around 5K miles like our dealer suggested unless wrench indicator comes on. I'll order oil change kit with Mazda Moly oil, filter and washer from our sponsor soon.

Don't make it seem like you are buying your first house. :). I changed my own oil and do it every 6 months with synthetic oil. Easy as pie for oil change. No need to lose sleep over it.

I think the manual explains how to enable flexible oil change period. I have enabled it in our Mazda 3. It was some silly procedure I had to follow.
Read the manual!

Don't make it seem like you are buying your first house. :). I changed my own oil and do it every 6 months with synthetic oil. Easy as pie for oil change. No need to lose sleep over it.

Ha ha, fair enough. I was just wondering if people were doing the first one extra early for any particular reason or if I should just wait for the wrench to light up.

Ha ha, fair enough. I was just wondering if people were doing the first one extra early for any particular reason or if I should just wait for the wrench to light up.

My Stealer wanted to do my first FREE one at around 4,200 miles, so, I let them. Then, surprisingly, they called and offered me a 2nd FREE oil change, I wasn't reallyl ready for another one yet, so, I pushed it out a month from when they called, but, I was still only at about 8,800 miles, so, still not 5,000 miles from the first oil change. But, it was FREE, so, who am I to argue. Back when we used conventional oil and oil changes were $19.99, it wasn't that big a deal, but now with Full-Synthetic, it's more like $50, I'll take the FREE ones when I can. I'm curious to see if they offer me a 3rd free one is approx 4,000 miles from now?!?!?!?! :)

If you are asking then you are probably the some what paranoid type. Then I would say just go ahead and do it. Nothing to lose except some bills off your wallet. Some say there are early metal shaving. You will hear different things from everyone that comments. Just change it if you are worried about it. I actually did my first oil change early I think. 5 quarts of Mobil 1 synthetic + pureone oil filter. Give or take about $30. Labor free. As a matter of fact I group all my cars and motorcycle and oil change all in one shot. Usually April and October. Life is more exciting than worrying about an oil change.

I just got my first oil change Monday. The dealer sent an email and said it was due. I called and asked about only having 2200 miles and he said that was fine and wouldn't hurt anything, even better to get the old oil out early. Since my free oil changes are based on time rather than miles, I got it done. Very nice car dealer experience, good coffee, nice bagel, bottled water, comfy chairs, TV and magazines and WI-FI too. Love it when dealers compete for business.

Very nice car dealer experience, good coffee, nice bagel, bottled water, comfy chairs, TV and magazines and WI-FI too. Love it when dealers compete for business.

I haven't seen anything like that since Saturn left.

I think the manual explains how to enable flexible oil change period. I have enabled it in our Mazda 3. It was some silly procedure I had to follow.
Read the manual!
Read my post!
Yeah, read my post! I may be one of the hundreds always reading the owner's manual first for any new cars we bought. And I do all the maintenance and repairs by myself too unless they are under warranty. Like I said, I followed the manual and set my 2016 CX-5 oil change interval to "Flexible"; but I couldn't find the selection of "Flexible" on my friend's. The only explanation to me is his has earlier version of software which doesn't support "Flexible" oil change interval.

Personally I'd like to find out the answer of the same question too.

By using flexible oil change interval, the manual says "Mazda genuine 0W-20 Oil and Castrol 0W-20 Oil are required to achieve optimum calculation performance."

I also found out from my dealer while I was asking about the "free oil change" offered by many dealers when you buy the car from them. The parts guy showed me the oil their service used for "standard" or "free" oil change. It was a brand I've never heard, and it costs less than a half of the genuine Mazda moly 0W-20 oil! I thought they will use at least the Castrol as specified in the owner's manual. The parts guy said, "No! unless you specify the Castrol or Mazda oil and pay additional accordingly, otherwise that unknown brand is the one you'll get!" I know even this unknown brand may still good enough to serve the SkyActiv high-compression engine, but I wouldn't risk it. With all the bad experience on dealer service I've had before, and I even heard the free oil change ending up the oil filter had never got changed, I'll get Mazda oil change package and change the oil by myself just for peace of mind. According to the posted video, the oil change on CX-5 is the easiest I've ever seen!

Just be aware of "free oil change" offered by your dealers! (headshake

U
Yeah, read my post! I may be one of the hundreds always reading the owner's manual first for any new cars we bought. And I do all the maintenance and repairs by myself too unless they are under warranty. Like I said, I followed the manual and set my 2016 CX-5 oil change interval to "Flexible"; but I couldn't find the selection of "Flexible" on my friend's. The only explanation to me is his has earlier version of software which doesn't support "Flexible" oil change interval.

Personally I'd like to find out the answer of the same question too.

By using flexible oil change interval, the manual says "Mazda genuine 0W-20 Oil and Castrol 0W-20 Oil are required to achieve optimum calculation performance."

I also found out from my dealer while I was asking about the "free oil change" offered by many dealers when you buy the car from them. The parts guy showed me the oil their service used for "standard" or "free" oil change. It was a brand I've never heard, and it costs less than a half of the genuine Mazda moly 0W-20 oil! I thought they will use at least the Castrol as specified in the owner's manual. The parts guy said, "No! unless you specify the Castrol or Mazda oil and pay additional accordingly, otherwise that unknown brand is the one you'll get!" I know even this unknown brand may still good enough to serve the SkyActiv high-compression engine, but I wouldn't risk it. With all the bad experience on dealer service I've had before, and I even heard the free oil change ending up the oil filter had never got changed, I'll get Mazda oil change package and change the oil by myself just for peace of mind. According to the posted video, the oil change on CX-5 is the easiest I've ever seen!

Just be aware of "free oil change" offered by your dealers! (headshake

Thanks for the heads up! Doing the math, using the flexible schedule, it says my oil change will be due at 6,500 miles or 2 months from now which would be 4 1/2 months. I'll take it in at the end of the month I guess. I also want to find out about that fix that is supposed to fix the shuffle problem.

Thanks for the heads up! Doing the math, using the flexible schedule, it says my oil change will be due at 6,500 miles or 2 months from now which would be 4 1/2 months. I'll take it in at the end of the month I guess. I also want to find out about that fix that is supposed to fix the shuffle problem.
When you set to "Flexible" oil change interval, the "Oil Change" tab on the third line should display "Oil Life" in %, not "Distance" in miles. The "Maintenance" tab on the first line displays "Distance" in miles and "Time" in months until the maintenance is due. "Oil Change" with % of oil life is independent from "Maintenance". When oil life dropped to certain %, a red "Oil Change Due!" message will display along with wrench indicator whereas when "Maintenance" is due, a red "Scheduled Due!" message will display with wrench indicator. Our CX-5 has 950 miles and "Oil Life" shows 90%. By this calculation, I can drive almost up to the maximum allowable 10,000 miles or 12 months with flexible OCI to change the oil!

BTW, what is the fix for "shuffle problem"?

By this calculation, I can drive almost up to the maximum allowable 10,000 miles or 12 months with flexible OCI to change the oil!

BTW, what is the fix for "shuffle problem"?

Unless your owner's manual says you can push beyond 7500 miles or 6 months I wouldn't be giving them any excuse to deny a warranty claim down the road.

Our CX-5 has 950 miles and "Oil Life" shows 90%. By this calculation, I can drive almost up to the maximum allowable 10,000 miles or 12 months with flexible OCI to change the oil!
Unless your owner's manual says you can push beyond 7500 miles or 6 months I wouldn't be giving them any excuse to deny a warranty claim down the road.
Yeah, I know what did you mean. Personally for oil change interval, I'd never pass 12 months even if our CX-5 accumulated less than 5,000 miles within that period with Mazda moly oil. For 2016 US models (not sure for 2015 and earlier), the owner's manual says under Schedule 1, oil change interval can be "Flexible" or "Fixed". For flexible OCI, you change oil when wrench indicator is on but can't exceed 12 months or 10,000 miles. For fixed OCI, you change the oil at 6 months or 7,500 miles. Of course Mazda Genuine Moly 0W-20 oil or Castrol 0W-20 oil are REQUIRED for flexible OCI.

Our 2000 BMW has flexible oil change indicator. It can go well over 17,000 miles then give you the "Oil Service" message. I'd never exceeded a year with less than 3,00 miles to change the oil with Castrol synthetic, not to mention waited for the oil service message.

So I bought my car on Feb. 12th and it's only got 3,643 miles on it but today the Wrench light came on indicating Scheduled Maintenance Due. When I go in to the Maintenance App it says it's due in 15 days or 2,900 miles???? The oil life indicator shows 70%. The setting is Flexible.

I called the dealer and the girl at the service dept. says they must have forgot to reset it?? She says they recommend 5 mo. or 5,000 miles.

What do ya'll recommend? I don't want to take it in prematurely but I don't want to drive around with that stupid wrench light for the next 2,000 miles or so.

I have always done my first oil changes at around 500 to 1k miles. Mobil 1 was factory fill in my z06 and there was nothing special about it. Changed oil at 585 miles I think. Did fine.

So I bought my car on Feb. 12th and it's only got 3,643 miles on it but today the Wrench light came on indicating Scheduled Maintenance Due. When I go in to the Maintenance App it says it's due in 15 days or 2,900 miles???? The oil life indicator shows 70%. The setting is Flexible.

I called the dealer and the girl at the service dept. says they must have forgot to reset it?? She says they recommend 5 mo. or 5,000 miles.

What do ya'll recommend? I don't want to take it in prematurely but I don't want to drive around with that stupid wrench light for the next 2,000 miles or so.
I got my CX5 last week. The dealer told me 5k miles/5 months for the oil change. When we went into the settings to set up the maintenance reminder, it said the oil change was due in 59,800 miles. Either someone at the dealership was screwing around with the settings or they come delivered with random settings and the salesman or mechanic is expected to reset it to the correct mileage prior to customer delivery.

Back