what did you do before 3 year warranty expired?

:
CX-5, fwd auto
My car is getting into 3 years and I am wondering if you used warranty service before 3 year was up?
I am not going to buy the extended warranty, but worried by transmission issues some of the owner had.
Thank you

Anything that you can find wrong with it, that would be covered under warranty I'd be getting it in, and taken care of. Any rattles, or electronics not working, get-r-done now before the warranty expires and they don't have to do anything(for free). You can always pay to get it fixed later, or course...

The 3year/36,000 miles is for the complete vehicle. My 2014 CX5 has a 5 year/60,000 mile power train warranty. Did you bother to read your owners manual :))

My car is getting into 3 years and I am wondering if you used warranty service before 3 year was up?
I am not going to buy the extended warranty, but worried by transmission issues some of the owner had.
Thank you

What is your current mileage ? The transmission portion of your warranty is likely 5 years or 60,000 miles.

I had a dodge caravan, and you know dodge products, their transmissions usually go somewhere around 70,000 miles, which is what the warranty was at the time. Sure enough, at approx 74,000 my transmission went out, but, it was close enough to the warranty they split the cost of the rebuild with me. Better than having to pay the entire bill, I guess.

I assume, and hope, that Mazda knows how to build a better, longer lasting, transmission!!

I had a dodge caravan, and you know dodge products, their transmissions usually go somewhere around 70,000 miles, which is what the warranty was at the time. Sure enough, at approx 74,000 my transmission went out, but, it was close enough to the warranty they split the cost of the rebuild with me. Better than having to pay the entire bill, I guess.
The made-of-plastic water pump on our 2000 BMW 528i literally disintegrated at 28K miles but BMW of North America refused to do anything because it was 3 months passed 5 years as it has 5-year/50K-mile new car bumper-to-bumper warranty. Our 2001.5 VW Passat GLX V6 is burning a quart of oil per 800~1000 miles since new but VW of America refused to do anything after I repeatedly requested them to fix it during new car warranty period. I guess Chrysler, although reliability may not be good, at least knows how to treat the customers right! To me, no more VW's (we bought 3) and BMW's. (notcool)

Actually, I noticed that whatever the areas been repaired under warranty, often times it would show more problems later on at the same related area due to negligence and poor workmanship while doing the warranty service. Sometimes it's better off just to fix the problems by myself!

In my case with the Dodge Caravan Tranny rebuild, the dealer also stated that there were "fixes" in the rebuild kit. Which tells me, that if they have known fixes, that means there was known issues, which I think is part of why they agreed to split the cost. We did run that caravan well over 200,000 miles without any further tranny issues.

When I get close to the end of my warranty, I plan on having my boyfriend (ex-mechanic) or his mechanic friends do a top-to-bottom exam of the car so that I can have any problems fixed. If I were you, I'd find someone knowledgeable to take a good, hard look at the car for anything you might not have noticed during normal driving.

In my case with the Dodge Caravan Tranny rebuild, the dealer also stated that there were "fixes" in the rebuild kit. Which tells me, that if they have known fixes, that means there was known issues, which I think is part of why they agreed to split the cost. We did run that caravan well over 200,000 miles without any further tranny issues.
So looks like the fixes for your Dodge Caravan tranny had really fixed the problem. In my case, BMW also knew its "plastic" water pump wouldn't last long, but they still declined the warranty service or any assistance even though the car had only 28K miles and 3 months past 5-year warranty period!

I've never seen a plastic water pump, very odd. But, also to be honest, we frequently towed a popup camper and about a 2,000 lb boat and trailer, something front wheel drive mini-vans really weren't designed for, so, that was probably a bit more abuse than "normal".

Thank you everyone for the input. I know the power train is 5 years, but wondered if there is something specific I need to check to ensure I get fixed. I have already done the driver's side mirror, and a tapping noise on highway from the bottom of windshield.

I've never seen a plastic water pump, very odd.
Yeah, it seems Germen are big on using plastic in cars. For example, water pump housing and impeller are all made of reinforced "PPS" plastic on our BMW 528i. But the bearing simply just "fell" out of the plastic housing and the metal balls from bearing flied everywhere at 28K miles! Our VW Passat GLX with an Audi V6 which uses "PPS" plastic impeller with aluminum housing. The plastic impeller always slips from shaft or is just broken off early due to constant coolant heat. The water pump on our VW Passat was failed at 57K miles which requires expensive timing belt replacement.

I hear over and over again, that German cars are more expensive to get serviced, both in labor and especially in parts. But, don't know first hand. There's enough other makes and models to keep my attention without having to look at any of the German builds.

Back