Non-OEM accessories - The good, the bad, and the ugly

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech & i-Activesense
I just picked up my 2016 CX-5 last Saturday and spent way to much time at the dealership. While I was there I was looking at all the OEM accessories they had for the CX-5. Many of them I like and would want them on my car for either looks or protection, but the prices for some of them are quite high. The rear bumper cover is $100!!! Anyhow, I know that Ebay, Aliexpress, and even Amazon have many aftermarket parts available for the CX-5. I'd like some honest reviews on what everyone has put on there cars that turned out to be a decent product. I'm always leery of Chinese knockoffs but sometimes there are diamonds in the rough. Here is a list of what I'm considering:

1) Rear Bumper Guard
2) Door sills scuff plates
3) Mud Flaps
5) Rear Inner trunk protector
6) Rain guards
7) Pedal covers (preferably the no drill ones)

What have you guys bought and liked and what ones should I stay away from? I know some of the parts aren't a hole lot cheaper them OEM, like the rear bumper cover. I see the checkered Ebay one for about $70 vs. the OEM one for $99. Is the $30 savings worth it? Who's tried the pedal covers? I really like the look of them, I think I had a little more style and the ones that say no drilling required are intriguing. Let's get a good list going here and perhaps it can become a sticky or something for any other members searching for the same info.

Post up the product you bought, what you paid, the seller you got it from and an honest review.

If this is already covered in another thread I didn't find it when searching.

Do not put those shiny air vent trims, they will reflect in the windshield, door window.
The cupholder shiny trim is painted silver and not chrome looking and it tends to push upward, won't sit stock to the plastic well.
An issue that I'm seeing is, that some are silver and some are chrome looking. Shifter surrounding is chrome for example. The radio surrounding(which I like), is silver looking.
Air vents are chrome looking. The bottom knob is chromed out, which is to much for my taste(I will replace it). There are out there, some that are very similar to the 2016 model(only the bezel is chromed only).
Door opener handle trim is nice, the rear door grab handle trim is nice, but if they are bent in shipping, you will have to add some good 3M extra strength tape.

1) Rear Bumper Guard
3) Mud Flaps
6) Rain guards
7) Pedal covers (preferably the no drill ones)

1 -I got one on AliExpress and was disappointed. The photo showed a different item from what was shipped. $23.00 delivered.
2- I got a set on AliExpress and was happy with them. $15.00 delivered.
3- I got the front flaps from Mazda (OEM) and they are good. I didn't like the rear OEM flaps. I got a set of mudflaps on AliExpress and only used the rear flaps. I had to get some extra pieces as the hardware that came with the set was lacking the plastic rivets and the captive nuts that the Mazda instructions showed ( download instructions from the internet ). Those hardware bits are available on ebay. You just plan ahead and get all the items that you need together before you start work on your car. IIRC the flaps were $25.
5- I bought the OEM rear mat and I am happy with it.
6- Don't have any.
7- I just received a set of pedal covers that was purchased through AliExpress. I haven't installed them yet. They look very well made and came with all the needed hardware to mount them. They are the drill type though. $20.00 shipped.

What happened to no. 4?

Last edited:
Thanks for the info so far guys. I have no idea where number four went! Just didn't feel like being on the list I guess. The inner truck piece I'm talking about is the one that covers the plastic on the inside of the bottom, it would be directly in front of the rear bumper guard. I've seen pics of them.

1) Rear Bumper Guard
3) Mud Flaps
6) Rain guards
7) Pedal covers (preferably the no drill one
1 I have the oem one. Got for 60$ online. Doesn't seem to do much but look dirty and collect dust between it. Aftermarket is probably fine. Not worth 60$ In retrospect. 25$ it's ok

2. Got cheapest online. 25$ I think. They reeked! I heard other people complain after I ordered and wondered how bad they could be. Bad! Anyway I baked them out in the webber outside for 5hrs and no more smell. Well a charcoal smell now instead.
3. Ordered but no received
5 don't have
6. Have. It doesn't rain here so I can vouch for them working
7. Have the scre on and I prefer it.

The inner truck piece I'm talking about is the one that covers the plastic on the inside of the bottom, it would be directly in front of the rear bumper guard. I've seen pics of them.

If you are talking about the stainless covers that go inside the car at the rear, do not get them. The plastic inside has a bumpy finish and the double stick tape has difficulty sticking to the bumpy texture of the plastic. The covers pop off at the least little bit of drag, from even just pulling out groceries. Nice idea that doesn't work.

I got LED scuff plates from an amazon seller: https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) - i've had them almost a year and I love em. I have pictures from it on there.
Those look nice, how hard were they to get wired up?

If you are talking about the stainless covers that go inside the car at the rear, do not get them. The plastic inside has a bumpy finish and the double stick tape has difficulty sticking to the bumpy texture of the plastic. The covers pop off at the least little bit of drag, from even just pulling out groceries. Nice idea that doesn't work
Thanks for that heads up, I think those will be off the list now

Last edited:
Those look nice, how hard were they to get wired up?
I don't trust myself with wiring so I had an audio place wire it for me for 60 bucks for labor. Complimentary lifetime install warranty was a bonus to that i suppose.

Any pictures of the aftermarket scuff guards and/or the non drill pedals? Thinking about getting the pedals but prolly going with oem for the scuff plates. Thank you

So I'm thinking I'll soon be ordering the door sills and mud guards from ebay or aliexpress. There are a few different versions of the mud guards, which ones has everyone installed and do you like them? And yes I know the thread for mud guards exsist.

Back