Annoying Rattle in front end.

Mdbernie

:
2014 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD Stormy Blue Mica
My wife's CX-5 is 2 years old and has about 20K miles. It has developed a very annoying rattle in the front for which is hard isolate the source. To me it sounds like it's coming from the engine compartment in front of the fire wall near the footwells or somewhere behind the instrument panel. But it is hard to pinpoint. It sounds almost like a loose strap slapping or similar to the noise I once had in an old car that was caused by lack of lube on the odometer cable. It doesn't necessarily seem to be related to going over bumps and can be pretty continuous while driving the car at speed. I thought it might be subject to the following TSB, event though we have a newer model:

TSB 09-009/12
APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS
2013 CX-5 vehicles with VINs lower than JM3KE******128359 (produced on or before June 1, 2012)

The dealer says the TSB only covers older models, but I think it may have been updated to include later ones. The dealer has been kind of coy about dealing with it, and questions whether a rattle is covered by the warranty (which I think is B.S. and pushed back on). Anybody have a later version of this TSB that would cover early 2014 models? I think ours was actually a 2013 1/2 as we bought it in Spring of 2013 but it is a 2014 model.

I would be interested in hearing from others who may have had a similar rattle problem. The dealer seems rather disinterested in trying to find the source and deal with this, so any information to help pinpoint the source that others may have would be quite helpful. Thanks.

Last edited:
So, the dealer finally did the adjustment under the above TSB and the rattle resolved. Not before they denied this could be a problem in a model that post dates the original TSB, which proved to be complete B.S. Interestingly, they initially tried to deny warranty coverage as well, claiming this fell under the 12 month part of the warranty that covers adjustments. I objected, and ultimately, they fixed the rattle and covered it under the warranty.

Wife was driving our first Mazda, a brand new 2016 CX-5, for work. She has always been wanting a Lexus RX 350. After two weeks she was complaining to me that this Mazda sucked as she started hearing the rattling noise constantly from front dash near center speak area since a day ago. She said she thought something was loose inside the front dash and she was banging the center dash panel to no avail. I dismissed her complaint and thought she was just making something up. She had complained for several days and stopped. Finally I asked her about the rattling noise. She said she just found out on the other day that the sun visor had not been pushed into the clip hence it was rattling, once she push the visor in there is no more rattling noise! (boom06)

Back