Anybody get the 3M Protection Package?

britty

:
Mazda CX5 2014 GT
Hi everyone! I put down a deposit on a 2016 cx5 GT with Tech (Meteor Gray) yesterday! I am very excited although I feel guilty about the cost. But I needed my sattelite radio and you can't do an add on for it anymore with the 2016. You can only get it with the Tech.

Anywho! I am debating if I want to get the 3M protection. I know some people were saying they had chips on the hood already and wanted to get a clear bra for protection. At the dealer they had a car in the showroom with a 3M product for protection. It would cover the front of the hood, the top of the rear bumper where you will slide stuff in and out of the trunk, under the door handles(so rings don't scratch), and along the spot where doors close because the salesman said those are the hardest chips to fix. He was also saying it comes with rust protection and all that other stuff I would have normally thought was a scam haha. And warmth for the lifetime of the vehichle. So he said they will reprint the entire car for free if there is any problems. All of that will be 995 canadian installed. I could also get soke protection inside which for both inside and outside would be 1800. I think they scotch guard everything inside and condition the leather. They said the stuff they do to the leather protects it from fading and spoting and stuff will wipe off easily(which I always assumed leather did anyway)Since we are having a baby in a few months I think it would be nice to have the inside protected. But also since I am pregnant I do not want to be the one using all those chemicals so was thinking it would be nice for a third party company to do it.

Do you think it is worth it? Has anyone gotten this package?

Hi Britty:
1st off, I think that you are to be commended for not wanting to expose you and your baby to any chemicals, especially if you had considered self application! In fact, I would ask the companies for an MSDS sheet for any and all treatments....

BTW: I like your color choice!~ <GRIN>

Interestingly, I barely remember the 3m outside treatment. It seems as though it was very big and then just sort of disappeared here in Nevada. Our summers are wickedly hot (like 105+ days and 50's nights) and the winters can range from below zero to say 40's daytime. If there was a need for car finish protection...we are the place. With that said, I have found the need for a good waxing, 2 times a year, but NOT for the 3m treatment. Think about how long you might keep the car and then do the math! Clay bar twice per year prior to waxing is also a good investment. Even car wax fumes are dangerous.

A bra, while a PIA, would be my choice if I considered protection. (cost and relative protection). I would be more inclined to treat the leather interior, but again, cost is a factor. My preference is a good quality leather cleaner and moisturizer...The best leather treatment is probably HIDE FOOD (used on Rolls Royce)...I use what ever is convenient....

When you are considering health (yours, as well as the Baby's) I think that the interior treatments might pose the greater risk, since you would be breathing "fumes" for who knows how long!
Good luck with your decision...

Last edited:
Hi Britty:
1st off, I think that you are to be commended for not wanting to expose you and your baby to any chemicals, especially if you had considered self application! In fact, I would ask the companies for an MSDS sheet for any and all treatments....

Interestingly, I barely remember the 3m outside treatment. It seems as though it was very big and then just sort of disappeared here in Nevada. Our summers are wickedly hot (like 105+ days and 50's nights) and the winters can range from below zero to say 40's daytime. If there was a need for car finish protection...we are the place. With that said, I have found the need for a good waxing, 2 times a year, but NOT for the 3m treatment. Think about how long you might keep the car and then do the math!

A bra, while a PIA, would be my choice if I considered protection. I would be more inclined to treat the leather interior, but again, cost is a factor. My preference is a good quality leather cleaner and moisturizer...The best is probably HIDE FOOD (used on Rolls Royce)...I use what ever is convenient....

When you are considering health (yours, as well as the Baby's) I think that the interior treatments might pose the greater risk, since you would be breathing 'fumes" for who knows how long!
Good luck with your decision...

This is a really fantastic idea.

The CX5 is the first that I had a protective film applied and after taking a hit from debris last week on the interstate I felt like it paid off. I had the windows tinted and the film applied from other businesses because it was less expensive. Really glad that I had that protection and will probably have all our future cars done (but not at the dealership). When I traded in the Nissan Titan for the CX5 the front end was badly chipped even with fairly low mileage, but that is Atlanta highways.

If you have a place nearby that applies film I would get a quote from them.
I have Xpel Ultimate, which is a "self-healing" film.

I'm a big fan of Xpel and just had the front of my new 2016 CX-5 covered this week. Due to environmental regulations, most modern auto paint is very soft and easily damaged. You can find Xpel installers in Canada here: http://locator.xpel.com/search/clearbra_installers/Canada

I'd skip the dealer installed leather protector. I doubt it is any better than you what can buy yourself from any number of retailers who sell to auto detailers. The same is true of the massively overpriced paint protector dealers always try to sell you.

I'd skip the dealer installed leather protector. I doubt it is any better than you what can buy yourself from any number of retailers who sell to auto detailers. The same is true of the massively overpriced paint protector dealers always try to sell you.

I agree. Just a big profit item for the dealer. Do it yourself and save.

Back