How to upgrade to 55W HID from OEM 35W

norijian

:
Mazda CX-5 AWD Grand Touring
HI Guys,

I have a 2014 CX-5 Grand Touring with Tech Package. my OEM HID is D4S 35W. Does anyone know how to replace to 55W?

Thank you so much.

Why would you want 55w HID??? Are you trying to blind oncoming traffic? Is the stock HID not bright enough?

Well, simple answer on upgrading to 55w is buy new aftermarket ballast, though I do not know if there is actually any for D4S. Most if not all OEM HID uses 35w and it is more than enough brightness.

With a proper spec'd bulb and ballast in the factory bi-xenon projectors (aimed correctly), he should not be blinding traffic.

Unfortunately, you may run into issues of harness capabilities of higher wattage, higher heat generation from bulbs and projector tolerance, and also the fact that we use D4S.

I do not see the necessity to run 55w in our bi-xenons. I think our factory bi-xenons are hard to beat. They are amongst the top performing bi-xenon projectors with very even and intense lighting. A good cut off with VERY wide projection. The only thing I do not like is the yellow cut off which may be a combination of the lens design and D4S bulb. Keep in mind that TheRetroFitSource and Morimoto is preparing their prototype of their LED foglights for us. They will improve foreground and side lighting in low visibility conditions, especially compared to our turd H11 foglight housings.

Last edited:
lol~ actually my Fog light is 6000K HID already (Pic#1)~ but i dont really turn it on because i just installed the LED DRL on Fog (Pic.#2).
CX-5 headlight is projector light. so it is not possible to blind oncoming traffic if the projector angle is correct.
and actually i just order a pair of 55W OEM style D4S (Pic#3) from Taiwan. lets see how it works.

10704187_859495520737086_6635451447318847583_n.jpg

attachment.php

11160350_969027443109920_1391127717_n.jpg

HI Guys,

I have a 2014 CX-5 Grand Touring with Tech Package. my OEM HID is D4S 35W. Does anyone know how to replace to 55W?

Thank you so much.

Yikes...I find the stock HIDs just right. Had been forced back to halogens ever since I sold my 2004 Audi years ago. Never realized just how great HIDs are!!! IMHO ALL autos should have HIDs as standard or at least an upgrade option.

I have been "flashed" a few times by oncoming traffic and would not dare to increase the output!
SayNoToPistons post below is quite interesting though and I agree the stock H11s are weak!

Last edited:
Norijian, do you have HIDs in the stock fogs? They most likely are blinding others.
I have modified some cheap projectors, but I don't have time to install them.

lol~ actually my Fog light is 6000K HID already (Pic#1)~ but i dont really turn it on because i just installed the LED DRL on Fog (Pic.#2).
CX-5 headlight is projector light. so it is not possible to blind oncoming traffic if the projector angle is correct.
and actually i just order a pair of 55W OEM style D4S (Pic#3) from Taiwan. lets see how it works.

This thread is so fail.

6k fogs
OEM Xenon to cheap garbage

OP is an idiot

Norijian, do you have HIDs in the stock fogs? They most likely are blinding others.
I have modified some cheap projectors, but I don't have time to install them.

HI tibimakai,
i do have HID on the stock fog. they are bright but doesnt bliding others. ive installed it for a year and on one(oncoming traffic) ever flash me with high beam, even the polices.
im thinking to get projectors for my fog light too.

This thread is so fail.

6k fogs
OEM Xenon to cheap garbage

OP is an idiot

dude, whats wrong with 6k fogs. as long as i am not blinding others.
OEM Xenon doesnt mean is the best. D4S is not bring enough for me so why cant i upgrade to 55W hid? the HID i ordered from Taiwan is made in Japan and it is a very high quality HID.
please show some respect.

I have experimented with the same H11 projectors long enough to know if it causes glare or not. Without the shield, it will cause immense glare. Even with the shield, a 35w HID bulb in it will cause glare.

Also, projectors can cause glare... There are many factors that contribute to it. So please don't feed misinformation into this thread by saying projectors = no glare.

Good luck with your 55w no name bulb with your factory 35w ballasts. You'll need it.

I also have a cheap HIDs in my projectors and they are great. I have compared them when I have installed them and I did not notice any difference, other then the hid it was much brighter. There is a hot spot, above the cut off line, but that was there even with the factory halogen bulb.

I also have a cheap HIDs in my projectors and they are great. I have compared them when I have installed them and I did not notice any difference, other then the hid it was much brighter. There is a hot spot, above the cut off line, but that was there even with the factory halogen bulb.

Yeah but this dude is talking about replacing the OEM HID bulb for a cheapo knockoff bulb which probably will last a few months before burning out. You had the halogen and installed an HID kit correct? that's justifiable.

Yeah but this dude is talking about replacing the OEM HID bulb for a cheapo knockoff bulb which probably will last a few months before burning out. You had the halogen and installed an HID kit correct? that's justifiable.

i know it sounds funny to replace OEM HID to Aftermarket HID, but do you have any other suggestion to make my headlight brighter?

i know it sounds funny to replace OEM HID to Aftermarket HID, but do you have any other suggestion to make my headlight brighter?

Is it simply not bright enough already? Why do you need it to be brighter than stock/OEM HID? You might as well run your car with high beams on if low beam isn't bright enough...

There's little to no aftermarket 55w for D4S as far as I know.

The other suggestion I will have for you is to spend all your money and swap it out with LED Headlight (Factory Mazda CX-5 GT w/ tech from 2016), though it might not be brighter, just the color is whiter which may make it seem brighter ;)

edit: while you're looking for something brighter.. consider an LED bar ;) Go head and blind everyone...
https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...y-duty-off-road-led-light-bar-126w/1934/4138/
http://www.kbcarstuff.com/LED-Light-Bar-Luminix-Putco-p/10020.htm

Last edited:
dude, whats wrong with 6k fogs. as long as i am not blinding others.
OEM Xenon doesnt mean is the best. D4S is not bring enough for me so why cant i upgrade to 55W hid? the HID i ordered from Taiwan is made in Japan and it is a very high quality HID.
please show some respect.

You can clearly see in your pictures how much glare is coming from your fogs, also 6k is practically useless in inclement weather. Its not too hard to see.

When I got my 3 I borrowed a friends bulb and ballast just to check the foglight output vs decent halogens and was shocked at how much less light actually got reflected where you want it. The glare was atrocious, and your cx5 uses the same fog assemblies.

Back