Homelink Question

overdrive

:
2015 Mazda CX-5 Touring
Have a 2015 CX-5 that I just had the dealer install the Homelink/Auto dim mirror in. Question I have is, is the Homelink supposed to have continual power to it? I figured you would have to have the starter fob near by for the Homelink to work but mine is constantly on. My wife is worried if we park the car in the driveway instead of the garage that someone can open the garage door. Thanks.

Yes, they are always on. Now you have the new dilemma of needing to lock your car doors. Or put another lock on your interior,to house, garage door.

How is that different than having a battery operated remote door opener? If you had one of those you would have to bring it with you when you left the car or lock the car.

Yes, they are always on. Now you have the new dilemma of needing to lock your car doors. Or put another lock on your interior,to house, garage door.
Thank you. Would have been nice for them to design the homelink to the accessory circuit.

How is that different than having a battery operated remote door opener? If you had one of those you would have to bring it with you when you left the car or lock the car.

Agreed. I think the next question is how far away does the fob need to be from the car to be disabled?

Those gentek mirrors all wire up pretty much the same. Constant 12 volt, ignition, and ground are the only connections. (which are usually tapped at the fuse box on the drivers side) You could try and disconnect the constant power wire to see if it is necessary to retain the homelink memory. If not, then the buttons would only work with the car on.

Constant is necessary for the mirrors with a compass display to retain calibration, but I'm not sure if they are needed on the homelink other than for the switches to always be active.

Last edited:
Those gentek mirrors all wire up pretty much the same. Constant 12 volt, ignition, and ground are the only connections. (which are usually tapped at the fuse box on the drivers side) You could try and disconnect the constant power wire to see if it is necessary to retain the homelink memory. If not, then the buttons would only work with the car on.

Constant is necessary for the mirrors with a compass display to retain calibration, but I'm not sure if they are needed on the homelink other than for the switches to always be active.

Makes total sense. Thank you.

Back