LED interior lights for new 2016 GT CX5?

tcaron20

:
2014 Mazda 6 Touring
Where is the best place to get replacement LEDs for interior lights in new CX5?
I had Corksport in my 2014 6 but I do not think that they make them for the CX?

Thanks,

Tom C

CX-5 uses either 29mm or 31mm festoon bulbs for the dome lights and cargo light. These for the vanity mirror.

I don't know if there is a 'best' place but VLEDS tells you exactly the lumen output and color temperature of their bulbs. I went with the 6K LEDs for my black interior. The 5K bulbs may look better with a sand or ivory interior.

First post on this thread is very informative.

Last edited:
Where is the best place to get replacement LEDs for interior lights in new CX5?
I had Corksport in my 2014 6 but I do not think that they make them for the CX?

Thanks,

Tom C

Have you checked with your Mazda dealer, they may be able to help you.

I also wonder if the front and rear turn signal bulbs can be replaced with LED's without the need to fit loading resistors (to prevent hyper-flashing) The fronts use a 7444 bulb while rears are 7443's, according to the manual.

I've bought from https://www.superbrightleds.com/ a few times and they are a reputable company with decent pricing. Outfitted three different cars with complete LED interior replacements and haven't had a failure or defective bulb yet.

Of course Amazon has some cheap pricing too. Just not as easy to search through and compare different options.

I bought a nice LED kit from Amazon for around $14 for my 2015. It took about 10 minutes to replace all the internal lights. It really makes a difference

Now what I'd like to do is replace the turn signals and backup lights with LED's that don't need anything extra (resistors), and don't cost 50$ each...

I'm also waiting for the first brave soul to try this. Mazda may have installed a blinker system that will take LED's, with an eye to adding that in the future.

Now what I'd like to do is replace the turn signals and backup lights with LED's that don't need anything extra (resistors), and don't cost 50$ each...

Before this became the hype and vendors started making kits, autolumination has been my source for over 8 years. Great customer service and they can even make custom harnesses for your specific application for whatever project you're doing. With kits from amazon these days where you don't have to look up bulb numbers, etc, it might be the easiest way to do it. Looks like someone here purchased from Amazon and is loving it.

Vleds and Diode Dynamics when you want to find the brightest LEDs. They are pricey but worth it. Actually I can only speak of Vleds, but DD looks really impressive too. I use 3 pairs of the Vleds V3 Triton LEDs in another car. $100/pair but they are screaming bright! Safety comes first. There are lots of cheaper LEDs that are hard to see in real world conditions.

For things like interior replacements for things like 168, 194, 921, 28mm, 31mm festoon, etc. type of bulbs, you can get good results with the generic eBay stuff. Research and determine which bulbs offer the latest technology and have the best components. Equally important is color temperature. Most "white" LEDs out there are going to be in the 6000K range. That's too blue for me. 5000k is much whiter. It's extremely hard to fine 5000k outside of Vleds. I like warm light inside the car and I use eBay "warm white" LEDs (3000K) inside my car and they have a similar color to the stock bulbs (2700K) - just slightly whiter.

I'm here because my wife has a new 2016 GT w/tech and I wanted to find LED turn signal replacements. I'm starting to read that there is no flasher module in the CX5??? I need to read up a bit on this car...

same product
i tried the ZoneTech package and found some of the bulbs were too big, unusable - maybe i got a mis-labelled package, but had to bend some end and side clips
the tailgate ones did not fit period
IMO- some amazon, ebay sellers seem to make more on their shipping rates than their products ;)

went offshore - longer but decent delivery (3 weeks) -free shipping though
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00JGFEIOE/
pop the OH and vanity lights, tailgate to see what they look like - then matched what this seller had

ignored the license plate light

Great thanks for the info JbCaig. I'll have to do that, pop out the lights I want to replace and compare with this sellers products - could probably tackle my MS3 at the same time! (cabpatch)
as for the last part of your note, do you mean to say you did not replace the license plate light? was this because you couldn't find the bulb or just didn't want to bother

didn't want to - the radar cameras/red light cameras can do their own work - i'm not going to help LOL

i did the interior lights for me and the passengers
the license plate light is illuminated fine as is really

Last edited:
IMO- some amazon, ebay sellers seem to make more on their shipping rates than their products ;)
went offshore - longer but decent delivery (3 weeks) -free shipping though
It's true that most interior LED kits from Amazon or EBay come with 31mm festoon LEDs while the original bulbs are 29mm long. You have to bend some end and side clips a bit but it's doable and won't hurt anything. Also be aware the "prying tool" included in some Amazon or eBay kits is useless! It's too thick and sometimes you're better off by having two pries to pop open the light cover. I use this prying toolset From China with decent results:
615ofhC6PvL._SL1000_.jpg

I installed this https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned) because they use newer and brighter 5730 rectangular LED chips:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I did install license plate LEDs from the kit. They look nice with white color and aren't brighter than original 5W bulbs. I also used two "spare" bulbs for reverse lights. They look much better with white color but the light outputs are not stronger than original 18W 921 bulbs.

I used this https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned) for vanity mirror on the sun visors for "warm glow" effect:
s-l400.jpg

Back