I like my wife's new CX-5

:
Miata and CX-5
Yesterday my wife bought a 2016 CX-5 Grand Touring. I had been planning on buying a 2015 Accord V6 sedan but after driving my wife's CX-5 I am thinking about getting one like hers.
Sitting up high was fun and would be so different from all the traditional coupes and sedans I have previously driven. If I do buy a CX-5, which color do you think would be good to go along side her pearl white ? Another white, so we have two of the exact same vehicle ? red ? black? one of the blues? silver or dark grey? The titanium (which in photos appears to me to be a bronze-brownish color) ?
Any and all opinions welcome, thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0529.JPG
    IMG_0529.JPG
    264 KB · Views: 570
Get the brown one IMO. It's a nice color that isn't on too many cars. When you customize, it will look even more unique.

I just bought the '16 White GT last week. Got the windows tinted and it looks GREAT now. I think the dark grey or black would look best. Those were my next choice in colors, but my last car (RX-8) was black, so I decided to go white. But you can't go wrong with Silver/dark grey and/or Black. Being you live in SF (I'm formerly of San Jose), the silver and black would go well with the Bay Area's Raiders. Unless you're a Niner's fan.

I just bought the '16 White GT last week. Got the windows tinted and it looks GREAT now. I think the dark grey or black would look best. Those were my next choice in colors, but my last car (RX-8) was black, so I decided to go white. But you can't go wrong with Silver/dark grey and/or Black. Being you live in SF (I'm formerly of San Jose), the silver and black would go well with the Bay Area's Raiders. Unless you're a Niner's fan.

I am from SF and was a Whiners fan all my life, until a few years ago when the owners announced the move to Santa Clara. At that time I called the Raiders and became a silver and black season ticket holder.
Did your black RX-8 show lots of swirl marks ? I have never owned a black vehicle. My wife's white looks sensational and I am considering getting the same thing, but two white CX-5's might be too much.
Red looks good as well, but I would have to get past that colors correlation to the Whiners. When I became a Raiders fan I got rid of every piece of red clothing I owned.
The light silver might be good. All the CX-5 colors look great, really. One thing I keep in mind is that the 2016 CX-5 GT's have the black (or is it called black chrome?) wheels.

Last edited:
I am from SF and was a Whiners fan all my life, until a few years ago when the owners announced the move to Santa Clara. At that time I called the Raiders and became a silver and black season ticket holder.
Did your black RX-8 show lots of swirl marks ? I have never owned a black vehicle. My wife's white looks sensational and I am considering getting the same thing, but two white CX-5's might be too much.
Red looks good as well, but I would have to get past that colors correlation to the Whiners. When I became a Raiders fan I got rid of every piece of red clothing I owned.
The light silver might be good. All the CX-5 colors look great, really. One thing I keep in mind is that the 2016 CX-5 GT's have the black (or is it called black chrome?) wheels.

Welcome to the Raider Nation, my friend! We are definitely happy to have you! I definitely miss the Bay Area. Got back 2 years ago to catch a game. Had a lot of fun. I hope you enjoy the season tickets this year. Hopefully Del Rio and Carr can turn them around because living in KC is the WORST place to be a fan of the Silver and Black - especially when they aren't competitive!

I don't know that it had a lot of "swirl marks", but it always looked dirty and dusty. I tried to keep it as clean as possible, but living in the Midwest with the salt and elements really made it look bad. Maybe the black cars these days are different (mine was a '04) and don't show as much dirt and dust. I don't know.

I think the Silver, Black or Dark Grey would look good with the black wheels, but whatever makes you happy. Are you going to get the front windows tinted on your white one? Like I said, I got mine done last Thursday and it made it look a lot better. I wanted to go 20% to match the back, but the legal limit here in MO is 35%, so I stuck to that. The guys at the tint shop said they've been pulled over several times at 20% and it's a $100 ticket. I don't want that worry, so I stuck to 35%.

Welcome to the Raider Nation, my friend! We are definitely happy to have you! I definitely miss the Bay Area. Got back 2 years ago to catch a game. Had a lot of fun. I hope you enjoy the season tickets this year. Hopefully Del Rio and Carr can turn them around because living in KC is the WORST place to be a fan of the Silver and Black - especially when they aren't competitive!

I don't know that it had a lot of "swirl marks", but it always looked dirty and dusty. I tried to keep it as clean as possible, but living in the Midwest with the salt and elements really made it look bad. Maybe the black cars these days are different (mine was a '04) and don't show as much dirt and dust. I don't know.

I think the Silver, Black or Dark Grey would look good with the black wheels, but whatever makes you happy. Are you going to get the front windows tinted on your white one? Like I said, I got mine done last Thursday and it made it look a lot better. I wanted to go 20% to match the back, but the legal limit here in MO is 35%, so I stuck to that. The guys at the tint shop said they've been pulled over several times at 20% and it's a $100 ticket. I don't want that worry, so I stuck to 35%.

There will be no front window tint here. We don't want to give the law any reason to stop us.
One of the reasons I like the white is the strong contrast between it and the black wheels. The red or silver would have that as well. The dark colors, such as black or dark grey, when matched with the black colored wheels, might create too much of an overall "heavy" and, or, monochromatic look. I am just guessing about that, though, and will go to a dealer or two to try and see all these colors (when paired with the black wheels).
I have Raiders season tickets and will enjoy tail gating from the back of a CX5 this coming season. My wife's white one will look good at the o.Co parking lot. If I end up with a red one I probably will not take it for Raiders tail gating. Since the coaching staff is new, and half the roster is new, I have no idea if the team will be 2-14 , 14-2, or somewhere in between. I like o.Co and hope the owner will reconsider his demands for a new stadium.

Last edited:

Wait the black GTs + Tech Packages come with all black wheels? I thought the rims were all the same color with the same gray/light gray accent?

Wait the black GTs + Tech Packages come with all black wheels? I thought the rims were all the same color with the same gray/light gray accent?

I am probably wrong to call them "black wheels". Actually they are a black and chrome combination ? Anyway, as far as I know all 2016 CX-5 GT's come with the same 19" wheels.

Attachments

• IMG_0529.JPG
    IMG_0529.JPG
    264 KB · Views: 334
Yeah, they are not all black, but a combination of black and chrome. I wish they were all black. Would look even more awesome on my white CX-5! I think all '16 CX-5's have the darker wheel scheme, but I think just the GT's have the 19" wheels. I believe that to be correct.

The new 16 soul red GT looks awesome! ;-) Black would go well, too! I've seen the titanium flash on a Mazda 3 and love the color. Please don't go by the website. The titanium flash in real life is completely different than online.

Honestly you can't go wrong with any color that is available for the CX-5. They all look really amazing.

The new 16 soul red GT looks awesome! ;-) Black would go well, too! I've seen the titanium flash on a Mazda 3 and love the color. Please don't go by the website. The titanium flash in real life is completely different than online.

One more vote for titanium flash mica

I will definitely get to a dealer to check out the brown color. Other than photos, I have not seen the color.

While the CX-5 with Titanium Flash isn't very common - the Mazda3 with the same color is more common.

Before I bought my own CX-5 in that color, I just walked over to a dealer and checked out the Mazda3 in Titanium Flash

It's a nice color - but here in SF and Bay Area, any pollen on it is more noticeable since it is a darker color. On the other hand, since it's not that common a color, it makes your CX-5 that much more unique :)

Last edited:
While the CX-5 with Titanium Flash isn't very common - the Mazda3 with the same color is more common.

Before I bought my own CX-5 in that color, I just walked over to a dealer and checked out the Mazda3 in Titanium Flash

It's a nice color - but here in SF and Bay Area, any pollen on it is more noticeable since it is a darker color. On the other hand, since it's not that common a color, it makes your CX-5 that much more unique :)

Looking at my wife's new white CX-5, and photos of the other colors, I really like the white. In particular I think the light colored exterior looks good with the dark wheels. In the 2016 GT MX-5 photos, the black, dark blue, titanium , the dark exterior colors, when paired with the dark wheels., make for a "heavy looking car" .
I will get to a dealer or two to try and see GT M-5's in all the color options, but my guess is that I will like the red , sonic silver, or maybe reflex blue the best, because those lighter colors have a bigger contrast with the dark wheels.

This past Tuesday I bought the red color with black interior, CX-5. Thanks guys for all your helpful suggestions.

The color that you pick has much to do with the perception that your car is dirty. A dark color, like black, will show the light colored road dust quickly, while a light color like silver will not show dust as much. I'm somewhat lazy, so I chose silver to keep my washes to a manageable level.

Latest posts

Back