LED daytime running lights

MazdaBrent

:
Mazda cx-5
Hello all,
I'm new to this forum, I have a 2014 CX-5 Sport I replaced my stock DRL to LED and for some reason they will not work with the drl, although the high beam will work perfectly. So far I've tried resistors, different kinds of harness and capacitors and still no luck. Hopefully someone here has a solution. Thanks!

Silly, I know, but I have to ask: Have you checked them with the vehicle in drive and the parking brake off? It's the only time they light up!

The non-tech runs the high beams at half voltage in DRL mode. Most automotive LEDs won't run at half voltage. And those that do run at DRL voltage won't at high beam voltage. Can't have it both ways.

Besides, your high beams may work, but I seriously doubt they work perfectly. All LED installs I've seen in housings not meant for them had either low light levels or seriously degraded beam patterns.

For these reasons, it is strongly advised not to install LEDs in non-tech DRLs. Sucks, I know...

To slightly clarify vroom's response above, the DRL's actually switch a relay to wire the high beam circuits in series, so effectively apply half the voltage to each bulb. Full beams wired in parallel, so each bulb gets full voltage.

Back