How-to mazda grill emblem removal/paint

acasper708

:
2015 CX-5 touring
Yea I know a lot of people have painted their mazda emblems. I just did mine but instead of paint them on the car I removed them.
I took a little upholstery pry bar and pulled it back just enough to stick a little pick in to release the clips. It was actually really easy! I didnt have to mask anything off or worry about over spray.
This is where and what the clips look like on the back of the grill emblem.
be5576cf36e45d8bb0e68d1c2753952e.jpg
a4e94aa1404051fc93a06f37842d1a8d.jpg

e32c2f1c26e89534ed2c5fbfd8b79a00.jpg

The back came off easy with a heat gun and stuck right back on once u heated up the glue on the tape.
dd95fa3bc9ab7f9af9f35b2b68b3670e.jpg
dd3f35b8658a18de0c691c6f16dde2ef.jpg

I did nick up the grill around the emblem a little though :-(
I was in a hurry.
It's not noticeable unless ur lookin right at it.

When I removed the front emblem on mine, I removed the plastic shroud around the latch mechanism and squeezed those clips with my fingers from the inside. I didnt have to drill out the rivets that hold one of the plastic parts on. But I replaced the rivets with some plastic push in pins.

Good to know^
I really didn't bother looking at how the grill comes apart cause everyone was saying it is way to time consuming.

would have been easier to just leave the emblems where they were and paint, also would have saved you from butchering your front grill

I really didn't butcher it. Unless you stick ur face right up to it.
It would of taken longer taping it off and worrying about over spray.

I really didn't butcher it. Unless you stick ur face right up to it.
It would of taken longer taping it off and worrying about over spray.

you only need to cover about a foot around whatever you're dipping and any overspray rubs off when you wash the car

I had to remove my bumper so I could properly put mesh screen to protect my rad and AC condenser from bugs and rocks so I was able to remove my emblem easily at the same time. I would be really mad at myself if I nicked or scratched my new vehicle. But, I may be more anal than others (lol)
16c1f273fcd69fcfa686d601f96fb07d.jpg

Ehh. like I said u really can't tell unless u stick ur face in it.
I'm not gonna sweat a cple nicks n scratches. it's not a show car, it's a daily driver. It already has a few scratches from squeezing buy it while parking in the garage with my truck in there.

So I messed up the other day. Came home, got something out of the back walked into the house and shut the garage door! Problem - the rear hatch was still open���� the good, if you can call it that is that my rear emblem took the most of the hit. I was able to stop the door before it got far. A few slight scratches on the paint that buffed out but the emblem is scratched up pretty good and the chrome stuff is pealing off. The OP said the rear came off with some heat. How much heat? I have a heat fun but I'm always worried about pointing a heat gun at any car. Would a hair dyer be enough? Are there clips that hold the emblem on at all or is it just sticky tape? The pic looks like there are little holes. Anyone have a picture of the back of the emblem once removed.

Rear emblem is just dble sticky tape.
Try it with the heat gun.
Mine has 2 settings and tried it on low at first.
Then a little on high and it started coming off right away. Don't force the emblem off. Use the heat to release the glue. I sorta forced mine and it bent the emblem a little and had to straighten it out with more heat.
When I put it back on, you can heat up the tape again and it will soften up the glue.
I brushed on spray adhesive on the back as well.

Back