Test drove 2016 Mazda CX-5 and now can't decide!

Christehper

:
Mazda MPV LX, Honda CR-V EX
Yesterday morning took my father's Mazda MPV, a 2001 model with 121,000 something miles don't even know. (eek2) for it's oil change at the local dealership as they sent me a coupon for a $20 oil change and I haven't done one in the car since I can't recall when! Anyway I decided to test drive the Mazda CX-5 2016 out while waiting for it, since they also with the coupon sent me a offer for a VISA gift card for $25 for a test drive man, I am in love with the car now. I currently drive also a 2014 Honda CR-V, I know a Honda! The CX-5 the power is great all around, whether you need to slam on that accelerator or not , feels more zippy then the CR-V, but the ride I do find is a little bit rougher , I think it's ride noise is no different then the CR-V, i'm not sure to me all crossovers I have drove (RAV4, CX-5, CR-V, Rogue) all make a similar certain noise, maybe it's the 4-cylinder? thing I haven't drove enough cars I guess to say, but the MPV, except under hard acceleration (which is most of the time since it is underpowered by a 2.5L V-6) I find is quieter than both CX-5 and CR-V still even at it's age , but I am thinking if it's time to retire the van although I think it has been pretty reliable. Haven't done much under the hood since 2001, but according to the dealer it needs new drive belts, valve cover gasket, replace both front lower control arms, and 2 engine mounts which all equate to $2k or so. But the thing is it still drives well in my opinion around town. Having said all this , I feel confused it's like is it time to retire our van with all these issues the dealer claims it has and go get that Mazda CX-5, or keep it since at least to my mind it still drives okay, I doubt I would get anything in trade in for that thing though.

No way, those jobs add up to $2K, maybe at the dealership.
Drive belts, are a couple of bucks each and they are very easy to replace.
Valve cover gasket is the same way, a couple of bucks, remove a couple of screws, remove old gasket, put the new one and replace the screws and tighten them down a bit.
The suspension work, engine mounts are not hard either, you may need alignment, after replacing those arms.
Ask yourself, you can live with this car a while longer, do you need a couple of hundred dollars car payment, for a couple of years?

Jeez the free $25 was worth it to test drive when you had no intention of buying a new car? I thought everyone threw those out. It's the cheapest trick in the book. Now you'll be hounded by the dealer.

All those items sound reasonable for your vehicles age, the price is off the charts.

I wouldn't bother fixing the car to be honest. I would continue to ride it out and grab a CX-5 when your van finally goes up. Unless you can get all the issues fixed for significantly less than the $2k.

Back