Stealer is offering a 2nd free oil change, ok, what're they up to??

cybercruiser

Contributor
:
2015 CX-5 Touring 2.5L FWD
OK, I get the first free oil change, nice gesture, I think most Mazda stealers do that.

But, They've offered a 2nd Free oil change, so, I have to wonder, OK, what are they up to?!?!?!

Everything is under warranty, and it's way too soon, obviously, to have me looking at new vehicles already. I haven't even had it a year yet.

No mystery here. The service dept is a separate profit center and they'll do whatever it takes to get you through the door so they can look for additional service to sell you. Their investment is maybe $4 for an oil filter, $10 for bulk Castrol and half an hour's labor for an apprentice at $15/hour. So for a little of $20 they get the chance to sell you whatever it is they can dream up. Your job, assuming you are satisfied with this level of service, is to simply say "No" to all the add-ons.

I've gotten two of those coupons too. When I actually tried to use one, my dealer refused to honor the coupon. This is Brown's Alexandria Mazda in VA. Mazda corporate customer service is aware but didn't help me get an actual free oil change.

The service manager first tried to insist that the coupon only covered a conventional oil change. I first pointed out that the coupon said nothing restricting its use regarding synthetic vs. conventional and I continued to insist that I wanted the synthetic oil with Moly used. When I pointed out that the recommended oil for the CX-5, 0W20, only comes in synthetic, he didn't even seem to understand what I was saying. Then he tried to make me pay the difference between a conventional and a synthetic oil change. I left and will not be back.

OK, I get the first free oil change, nice gesture, I think most Mazda stealers do that.

But, They've offered a 2nd Free oil change, so, I have to wonder, OK, what are they up to?!?!?!

Everything is under warranty, and it's way too soon, obviously, to have me looking at new vehicles already. I haven't even had it a year yet.

My guess is that they are probably trying to get you in the habit of taking your car there.

I have a coupon for my local dealer for a $39.95 oil change, and when combined with the castrol mail in "check" that I get every oil change, I will walk out with fresh oil/filter for $20!

Last edited:
No mystery here. The service dept is a separate profit center and they'll do whatever it takes to get you through the door so they can look for additional service to sell you. Their investment is maybe $4 for an oil filter, $10 for bulk Castrol and half an hour's labor for an apprentice at $15/hour. So for a little of $20 they get the chance to sell you whatever it is they can dream up. Your job, assuming you are satisfied with this level of service, is to simply say "No" to all the add-ons.

That's why I say, I've only had the car approx 10 months, only approx 9,000 miles, anything that would need done, would be under warranty.

It's not a coupon, they called me twice, asking me to come in for another free oil change. Who am I to say "no" to a freebie, that would normally cost probably $50 with full Syn.

Trying to get me in the habit of going there for service, yeah, I'll buy that one. That makes some sense!! Build up that trust and comfort level with going to them for service.

I wish mine were that proactive. At 11 months I have 20K on the odo. I did prepay for some oil changes so they throw in free tire rotation every time but that's about it.

I have 3 oil changes included with the purchase of my new Mazda. From what I hear the oil change is free but the tire rotation is not free. I will NOT get the tire rotation, they use an impact wrench on the lug nuts which can cause brake rotor warping.

I have 3 oil changes included with the purchase of my new Mazda. From what I hear the oil change is free but the tire rotation is not free. I will NOT get the tire rotation, they use an impact wrench on the lug nuts which can cause brake rotor warping.

Every shop uses an impact gun. I use one in my home garage. If I have to have my vehicle serviced at the dealer I instruct them to torque to spec, and from what I can tell they do. I recently had a local garage install tires and my lugs were all over the place. Moral of the story, always check when you get home and retorque as needed.

What do you torque to?? The manual states 80ft-Lbs to 108ft-lbs, so, 94 is right in the middle. 94 sounds like a good number :)

I asked for some free oil changes when I bought my car and they said "No".

I asked for some free oil changes when I bought my car and they said "No".

Yeah... They have free car washes at mine for life if you purchase a vehicle from them but they would never offer a free oil change, lol.

Maple Shade Mazda in NJ offers free Castrol synthetic oil changes every 7500 miles but the shop is looking for other stuff like cabin filter and alignments so that free usually cost me about $200 but it does come with an extended powertrain warranty so for the miles I put on it's probably worth it.

I do some of my own work, brakes, blades and wash the K&N so they are not finding the easy stuff :)

IMO: Used cars & maintenance services are the real money maker for a dealerships. Not much profit on new car sales.

I've always used 80ft lbs on wheel lug nuts on all my cars and no issues.

I went for 1st "free" oil change. They insisted on tire rotation that was $45 or so. I agreed even though I knew about their scam.

Rotation was not done, oil was changed.

It was my last visit there.

Frankly, after dealing with my 3rd CX-5 and the dealer I am strongly considering switching brands due to the treatment I've received from Mazda.

It was my last visit there.

Frankly, after dealing with my 3rd CX-5 and the dealer I am strongly considering switching brands due to the treatment I've received from Mazda.

I thought I was going to be a lifetime Honda customer, but, this last trade the salesman at the first two stealers I went to were such dicks that it is likely I won't ever have another Honda just because of these salesman.

This will either be my first of many Mazdas, or my first and last, I haven't decided yet. :-/

Every shop uses an impact gun. I use one in my home garage. If I have to have my vehicle serviced at the dealer I instruct them to torque to spec, and from what I can tell they do. I recently had a local garage install tires and my lugs were all over the place. Moral of the story, always check when you get home and retorque as needed.

If they used an impact driver that torqued to 60 ft/lbs and then used a torque wrench for the final torque it would be fine, but they use an impact gun set to more than 150 ft/lbs or more and they just leave it at that.

The bottom line is you have to be smarter than the tools you use...not a given anywhere but when you do find a shop &/or tech who cares, nurture the relationship.

If they used an impact driver that torqued to 60 ft/lbs and then used a torque wrench for the final torque it would be fine, but they use an impact gun set to more than 150 ft/lbs or more and they just leave it at that.

Yes that is typically the case. They don't really make the time it takes to torque the lug nuts though. Personally my real concern is my wife, because at even 100 foot pounds she would have a heck of a time if she had to replace a flat. Which is why I pay particular attention to her car. before I got an impact gun I literally had to jump on an 18 inch breaker bar to break lugs loose. It would be great if they slowed down a bit and just torqued to spec.

Back