2014 Windshield replacement CX-5

Vince23ho

:
'14 CX-5 GT
hi All, brutal Winter up in the North East. Potholes and debris everywhere and it has cracked my windshield. Need some help with suggestions whether I should go get an OEM one at the dealer or glass shop or just go with a non OEM replacement. I'm concerned with the auto wipers not working properly. Also if someone can get me a ball park price just so I don't get ripped off.

Appreciate the suggestions and Thanks for your time

If it were me, I'd go OEM; it's just a safer bet. Have you, by chance, checked your insurance to see if they'll cover it? Just last week I had the rock-pitted windshield on my wife's Z4 BMW replaced under the comprehensive part of our AAA insurance. All I had to do was open a claim and give them a date, time and location of a specific (ie: made-up) event and pay the $100 deductible and they covered it. Plus, in Calif., they can't raise my rates on a comprehensive claim. Worth checking out!

Dealer quoted me $840 total (including tax & labor) for OEM windshield. Safelight did it for $338.13 total. I can't tell any difference between the OEM and Safelight windshields. If anything, I think the Safelight glass sounds a little stronger when I tap on it with my knuckles. But of course, that's not exactly a scientific method for comparison.

I have a $500 deductable with the insurance so that pretty much cancels as if I purchased on my own, I would save on Labor but my premium would go up so I think it's about the same.

I did see a few other places that OEM comes with the little bracket for the auto rain wipers that I believe drives the cost up. I'm going to check out a local glass shop and see what the price is, I think I can do without the auto wiper if it saves me a few hundred dollars. $840 sounds about right, which is crazy if you ask me for a windshield replacement on a non-luxury car....

I did see a few other places that OEM comes with the little bracket for the auto rain wipers that I believe drives the cost up. I'm going to check out a local glass shop and see what the price is, I think I can do without the auto wiper if it saves me a few hundred dollars. $840 sounds about right, which is crazy if you ask me for a windshield replacement on a non-luxury car....
I didn't have the 'auto rain wiper' option on my CX-5, so that may have gotten me a lower price on the Safelight windshield. It was one of the things my insurance agent asked me about when they set up my appointment with Safelight.

I went to a local glass shop near where I work in the JFK area. it's not OEM glass but its brand new and comes with the rain sensor. $275 installed including labor, can't beat that. No leaks as we just had two days of rain. Much better than $840. if anyone needs the name of the place, pm me if you are local.

The windshield on my 2015 CX-5 started cracking yesterday... Small bits of the concrete are flying all over the place with the rain and snow we've been getting this past week. I know that windshield repair and replacement is covered by the 3-yr driver protection package that I selected when I got the vehicle.

I went through speedy glass. The thing is, if speedy puts in Orem glass from Mazda it is not covered through their warranty or life time chip repair. There was only a $30 difference between oem and the oem equivalent so I took the equivalent with the speedy guarantee.

I went through speedy glass. The thing is, if speedy puts in Orem glass from Mazda it is not covered through their warranty or life time chip repair. There was only a $30 difference between oem and the oem equivalent so I took the equivalent with the speedy guarantee.

How much did it cost you at Speedy? Did you try Apple or Crystal Auto Glass? Did yours include rain sensing wipers?

The total from speedy was $1217 but it was covered from insurance. I only have a $300 deductible. My windshield has the rain sensing wipers but no other electronics mounted there. The rain sensing wipers are working fine with the new windshield. In Ontario there is no longer any Apple auto glas, they were bought out by speedy. I didn't know of other places but my insurance wanted me to go to speedy anyways.

I had my cracked windshield replaced yesterday with a new OEM windshield. The rain sensing wipers work much better than they ever have before. With the original windshield the rain sensing feature would not work at night time but it does now!

Back