Pulling the trigger on a new 2016 GT tech

tconner99

:
CX-5
Hi all. I'm picking up my 2016 CX-5 in less than a week. My kids want to know if the windows for the back door passengers go all the way down.
I wish the Deep Crystal Blue came available with black interior rather than the parchment, in the US. Sorry if this question has been asked, I used the search function and went back to 2010 looking for a similar conversation.

How much did you pay excluding tax title and fees? Thanks!

For MSRP $33,279, I am paying $32,203 with remote starter installed, trailer hitch, and all weather floor mats. The dealer offers lifetime unlimited mileage powertrain warranty and lifetime free Pennsylvania state inspections for any car in household (we have 3 cars). Do you think I am getting a good deal?

For MSRP $33,279, I am paying $32,203 with remote starter installed, trailer hitch, and all weather floor mats. The dealer offers lifetime unlimited mileage powertrain warranty and lifetime free Pennsylvania state inspections for any car in household (we have 3 cars). Do you think I am getting a good deal?

Without doing research the price sounds reasonable.

At least in the 2015 CX-5s, yes, the rear windows roll all the way down.
Thank you for the info!! My kids will be thrilled. It was a toss up between the 2015 Rogue SL and the CX-5. The factors that made me decide on the CX-5 were: The Rogue does not offer any type of remote starter, the CX-5 does; the Rogue's windows do not roll down completely, now I am assured that the CX-5 does; and a nit pick is that the Rogue's gas cap is on the passenger side, the CX-5 on the drivers side; the Rogue doesn't have HD radio, the CX-5 does; the Rogue traffic nav goes thru XM subscription, the CX-5 free HD traffic. All win-win for the CX-5. The reasons for considering the Rogue are it has rear heat vents in the arm rest, doesn't have 19" tires, big panoramic sun roof, has a subwoofer, 33 MPG, able to get dark blue exterior with black interior, and has so so soft comfortable seats.

Last edited:
Thank you for the info!! My kids will be thrilled. It was a toss up between the 2015 Rogue SL and the CX-5. The factors that made me decide on the CX-5 were: The Rogue does not offer any type of remote starter, the CX-5 does; the Rogue's windows do not roll down completely, now I am assured that the CX-5 does; and a nit pick is that the Rogue's gas cap is on the passenger side, the CX-5 on the drivers side; the Rogue doesn't have HD radio, the CX-5 does; the Rogue traffic nav goes thru XM subscription, the CX-5 free HD traffic. All win-win for the CX-5. The reasons for considering the Rogue are it has rear heat vents in the arm rest, doesn't have 19" tires, big panoramic sun roof, has a subwoofer, and so so soft comfortable seats.

As to the remote starter, be aware that you will have a totally separate (additional) keyfob for the remote start. And then, when you actually use it, the engine will shut off when the door is opened. So if you start it, the engine will warm up but will then need to be restarted if you actually want to drive off.

I do appreciate the gas cap being on the driver's side. Same with my old Tribute. I find it silly that some people have to walk all the way around the car, and was actually thinking the other day how if, in an emergency, I needed to jump in the car quickly and leave, I'd be hindered by just having to go around to the other side! Zombie apocalypse type thoughts, I guess. But, I also suppose that some cars *have* to be built with the cap on the passenger side, otherwise we'd all be in line behind each other for the one side of the gas pump we could use!

I also heard recently that the new infotainment doesn't integrate the live traffic in with the navigation. I don't have the tech package, so no nav for me (I just use my iPhone's Google Maps, which I find superior to basically everything else), so this may be something you want to look into. I don't really know anything about the new infotainment but can safely say that I am satisfied with mine (the older, "hated" infotainment). It syncs perfectly with my iPhone 6 over Bluetooth and I never have any playback issues (resumes playback from where I left off). I don't try and read text messages through the infotainment so never experienced that issue either.

I rarely have passengers in the back seat (other than my dog) so don't really need rear vents of any kind. I would have preferred the 19" wheels but not enough to upgrade from the Touring to the Grand Touring.

The seats, for me at least, are plenty comfortable. I've taken several 3-4 hour trips at this point in my CX-5 and never had any issues other than what I'm always used to (existing back problems) and the lumbar support is a lot better than what was in my old Tribute. So I'm happy with that. But, there have been a few recent threads where the seats were unbearably uncomfortable for a few customers, so just make sure to give it a good sitting before you purchase!

I do appreciate the gas cap being on the driver's side. Same with my old Tribute. I find it silly that some people have to walk all the way around the car, and was actually thinking the other day how if, in an emergency, I needed to jump in the car quickly and leave, I'd be hindered by just having to go around to the other side! Zombie apocalypse type thoughts, I guess. But, I also suppose that some cars *have* to be built with the cap on the passenger side, otherwise we'd all be in line behind each other for the one side of the gas pump we could use!

There is a reason why some manufacturers use the passenger side, and pay attention, it's mostly the Germans. According to BMW it is to place the driver out of oncoming traffic when filling a vehicle that ran out of gas. Since we drive on the right side, you are likely to pull over to the right and filling from the right places you furthest away from traffic behind the car. But you are right, some mixing of the side is needed to increase efficiency in refueling times.

There may not be any "sub" with the stereo that comes with the tech package but, you wouldn't know it! The stereo is very impressive!
The 2 options for traffic with the tech package, IMHO, are worthless! I do miss the traffic option from my last ca,r it was crazy accurate. (not sure what service it used -MINI Countryman)

Last edited:
There may not be any "sub" with the stereo that comes with the tech package but, you wouldn't know it! The stereo is very impressive!

AFAIK the Bose is basically the same and no complaints with Bose stereo on my '15.

I did it. Went to my local dealer tonight and put money down on it. They are installing the remote start tomorrow and will schedule the class 1 "bicycle" tow hitch at Uhaul. Picked the Deep Crystal Blue with everything except the iactivsense... still not happy about the parchment color and wearing exclusively blue jeans. I drove one with the iactiv, and it was pure awesomeness. I initially picked the dark gray with iactiv and with tax and fees would cost $35,632. They didn't have the blue in stock plus would have charged me for a courier to go get one. So I caved and decided that I just couldn't justify the extra $1300+ for the iactivsense. They threw in the all weather mats to seal the deal with the blue one on the lot. I told them $400 over invoice. Put 15k down and need to go to bank to get a cashiers check for whatever they figure the new price without the iactivsense (minus ~1300 or so).

Chose a different salesperson who was very informative. She was young and energetic. Showed me everything about the car, programmed my phone and pulled up music apps, let me experience the button under the gas petal #ZOOM#! The car sold itself and I can't wait to experience what you all have done already. After pickup will be tinting the windows!!

Thanks all for the warm welcome!!

BTW, the prices in the first post were completely wrong. I guess those dealers didn't listen to what I asked for and when I asked if the price included iactivsense they said it was the price of a 2015. WTF. Oh well

Last edited:
I did it. Went to my local dealer tonight and put money down on it. They are installing the remote start tomorrow and will schedule the class 1 "bicycle" tow hitch at Uhaul. Picked the Deep Crystal Blue with everything except the iactivsense... still not happy about the parchment color and wearing exclusively blue jeans. I drove one with the iactiv, and it was pure awesomeness. I initially picked the dark gray with iactiv and with tax and fees would cost $35,632. They didn't have the blue in stock plus would have charged me for a courier to go get one. So I caved and decided that I just couldn't justify the extra $1300+ for the iactivsense. They threw in the all weather mats to seal the deal with the blue one on the lot. I told them $400 over invoice. Put 15k down and need to go to bank to get a cashiers check for whatever they figure the new price without the iactivsense (minus ~1300 or so).

Chose a different salesperson who was very informative. She was young and energetic. Showed me everything about the car, programmed my phone and pulled up music apps, let me experience the button under the gas petal #ZOOM#! The car sold itself and I can't wait to experience what you all have done already. After pickup will be tinting the windows!!

Thanks all for the warm welcome!!

BTW, the prices in the first post were completely wrong. I guess those dealers didn't listen to what I asked for and when I asked if the price included iactivsense they said it was the price of a 2015. WTF. Oh well

Howdy tconner99,

Congratulations, look forward to seeing pics and hearing your thoughts along the way.

I'm excited to be getting 2016 GT AWD June or July, so definetly anxious for that time
to get here.

Have Fun and Enjoy !!!

Take Care,

CK

Howdy tconner99,

Congratulations, look forward to seeing pics and hearing your thoughts along the way.

I'm excited to be getting 2016 GT AWD June or July, so definetly anxious for that time
to get here.

Have Fun and Enjoy !!!

Take Care,

CK
Changed my mind at the last minute. Got the dark gray with i-activsense, remote start and getting the hitch installed when they get them in stock. I feel like I'm driving a Porche. Washed it already cause it was dusty. Driving it to work tomorrow for the first time. Would love to find someone locally who can hack the touchscreen, I live in SW PA. Anyways, I will be joining in on the chat from time to time here. Here are the first pics. Tim
n59jo.jpg

2ngvdeh.jpg

155gojr.jpg

We just got our 2016 Sonic Silver CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg. for $30K before TTL. Is yours an AWD? By this time you should have known that the rear window does go all the way down! It's funny that we wanted a lighter interior color but couldn't get it and you wanted the opposite. Mazda really needs to step up on color combination and availability!

You made a right decision by not getting the Nissan Rogue. Its CVT, like the turbo engine, can get good "EPA" MPG rating but not in the real world situation. CVT, again like turbo engine, is also prone to have reliability issue. Nissan's quality and reliability are historically not too good. Mazda CX-5 now has better predicted reliability than Honda CR-V according to Consumer Reports.

Enjoy your new CX-5!

The reasons for considering the Rogue are it has rear heat vents in the arm rest, doesn't have 19" tires, big panoramic sun roof, has a subwoofer, .
my 15 has rear vents on the floor, under the seats. I've had passengers tell me it was too hot, so I can confirm they work well. You could put an ad to trade your 19's for 18's if you don't like the size. A sub can be added to the Bose system here.. My FWD also gets 33mpg hwy. the only pro the Rouge has is the Panoramic sunroof, which is nothing a hacksaw can't fix (lol2)! J/K congrats!

Howdy tconner99,

to get here.

Have Fun and Enjoy !!!

Take Care,

CK

Glad to hear you have finalized a "due date"! Can't wait to see it![emoji106]

Back