2016 Q and A

Bob-Loblaw

:
2016 CX-5 GT
Seems more and more 16' owners are showing up here in the forums so I thought I'd start a 16' specific thread for newbs like myself. I'm sure a lot of my questions (and perhaps those of others) are not 16' specific but this being my first Mazda, I have no point of reference.

Anyway, I noticed that a lot of the options in the infotainment system are greyed out while the car is in motion (safety reasons no doubt) and I was wondering if there is any way to get around that. Kind of annoying that not even the passenger can plot a new destination in to the Nav. I must be missing something.

Last edited:
Bob as far as I know there is no way around it. On the MX3, which as I understand it is the same system although updated on the CX5 2016, guys were connecting to WIFI and gaining root access to change the settings to allow data entry while moving. Unfortunately I can't find any WIFI option on our 2016. If someone can figure out how to gain root access we should be able to change those settings.

Bob as far as I know there is no way around it. On the MX3, which as I understand it is the same system although updated on the CX5 2016, guys were connecting to WIFI and gaining root access to change the settings to allow data entry while moving. Unfortunately I can't find any WIFI option on our 2016. If someone can figure out how to gain root access we should be able to change those settings.

I'm wondering if that wouldn't void the warranty though. Like it does when you root your phone.

Take a look at this site for various hack, including disabling touch screen auto-disabling while moving restriction.
http://www.mazda3hacks.com/doku.php

This is not for everyone, requires you to feel at home with ssh-ing into the infotainment system, and I am not sure if it was tried on a CX-5 yet.

Although the screen can't be used while in motion, you can use the command knob. I'm not sure I understand, since I think it would be easier to change some functions via the screen than the command knob. Oh, well.

Although the screen can't be used while in motion, you can use the command knob. I'm not sure I understand, since I think it would be easier to change some functions via the screen than the command knob. Oh, well.

You can use it for some functions but most are greyed out, even with the command knob.

Somewhat intrigued by the hacks/tweaks at the Mazda3Hacks site. The geek in me would love to fiddle around with the infotainment system, although to what purpose I don't know...

You can't even plot a new destination in to the Nav. Maybe the voice command would work but not sure.

Oh. Well, I couldn't do that on the old system. But, I got used to that. And, it does make sense. Watching the road and all. But I get the point about a passenger.

You can use it for some functions but most are greyed out, even with the command knob.

Bob,

Some of the greyed out functions might also be greyed out because you may not have a destination programmed into the navigation unit. For example, if you just have the navigation map displayed but haven't programmed the destination, the waypoint icon is greyed out. This will be true whether the car is moving or not. If you are suffering from insomnia, read the separate navigation booklet/manual that should have come w/your car.

Oh. Well, I couldn't do that on the old system. But, I got used to that. And, it does make sense. Watching the road and all. But I get the point about a passenger.

Thank God for "Ok Google..."!! (google) Now if we could just get the head unit to mirror the phone. (deadhorse)

Last edited:
Bob,

Some of the greyed out functions might also be greyed out because you may not have a destination programmed into the navigation unit. For example, if you just have the navigation map displayed but haven't programmed the destination, the waypoint icon is greyed out. This will be true whether the car is moving or not. If you are suffering from insomnia, read the separate navigation booklet/manual that should have come w/your car.

I haven't driven the car in 4 days because I just got it detailed right before inclement weather hit. i'll play around with that though when I get a chance and report back. Thanks for the tips!

I haven't driven the car in 4 days because I just got it detailed right before inclement weather hit. i'll play around with that though when I get a chance and report back. Thanks for the tips!

With that freshly detailed car, the muck should just slide right off! (nana)

?..but this being my first Mazda, I have no point of reference

Actually that's a lie. My second car ever was a Mazda pick up truck, stick shift iirc with a camper shell. Had that for a couple years in the late 80s. Almost forgot about that guy.

Wait, you can't put in a new destination while driving??

So I played with it a bit and discovered that while you can not manually "Find Address" while driving (or geocoordinate) you can use the voice command to "Find Address". Navigate Home, POI, Favorites and History all seem to be accessible while driving.

Also at one point I was bitching about the Auto High Beam/Low Beam function not working. Typical newb didn't have it set up right. Works fine now.

Last edited:
I would be very interested in learning whether this works on a CX-5.

Last week I received my new CX5. I tried the hack to enable the touchscreen while driving. Works perfectly. Note that this is a European (Netherlands) version.

Back