Windshield stress crack

White

:
2017 Mazda CX 5 Touring
have a 2015 CX5 with teck package. The other day just out of the blue I got a crack in the windshield. Went to the dealer yesterday they said it was from a rock. O sure, starts at the top and runs down the windshield. New windshields are over $700 but I will just call my insurance Co. I have been wondering if Mazda is using GOOD glass, in only 2700 miles I think I have small pits in the glass. I wonder???

The general rule is if the crack fits within a dollar bill it can generally be repaired. If you have comprehensive auto coverage the repair is usually free. New replacement windshields are usually 300-500 bucks.

I normally keep high deductibles but keeping the comp deductible low for at least a year @$50 just in case

I did not follow these windshield cracks threads, but there is a pattern where it happens and how they look like?
They are all similar looking, as in the above pictures?

have a 2015 CX5 with teck package. The other day just out of the blue I got a crack in the windshield. Went to the dealer yesterday they said it was from a rock. O sure, starts at the top and runs down the windshield. New windshields are over $700 but I will just call my insurance Co. I have been wondering if Mazda is using GOOD glass, in only 2700 miles I think I have small pits in the glass. I wonder???
I have the same issue with my 2015 CX-5. A stress crack that starts at the top center, runs down past the mirror, and then splits out both left and right. The car is only 1 month old with 2,000 miles on it. From one day to the next, the crack just mysteriously appeared without ever noticing anything hitting the windshield.

As can be expected, I got the same BS as you from the dealer. They wouldn't cover it under warranty and gave me an $840 estimate for replacing it. My insurance co. advised me to get it done at Safelite for $340. My insurance deductible is $500, so looks like I'll be going to Safelite.

Other websites indicate this is a common problem for the 2014 Mazdas, and it looks like it is going to be a problem for the 2015s as well. I can tell by just tapping my knuckles on the windshield that the glass sounds pretty thin and chintzy. It also seems to pit easily, as I noticed about 3 or 4 of them on mine as well.

I have the same issue with my 2015 CX-5. A stress crack that starts at the top center, runs down past the mirror, and then splits out both left and right. The car is only 1 month old with 2,000 miles on it. From one day to the next, the crack just mysteriously appeared without ever noticing anything hitting the windshield.

As can be expected, I got the same BS as you from the dealer. They wouldn't cover it under warranty and gave me an $840 estimate for replacing it. My insurance co. advised me to get it done at Safelite for $340. My insurance deductible is $500, so looks like I'll be going to Safelite.

Other websites indicate this is a common problem for the 2014 Mazdas, and it looks like it is going to be a problem for the 2015s as well. I can tell by just tapping my knuckles on the windshield that the glass sounds pretty thin and chintzy. It also seems to pit easily, as I noticed about 3 or 4 of them on mine as well.

I normally keep $500 and $1K deductibles as well... I dropped my comprehensive to $50 to cover glass if an issue. If nothing happens after a year or so I will increase it again.

So if this is a stress crack, how is that caused? Was it installed incorrectly? Maybe a pressure point caused by something in the metal seams underneath? Caused by the car bending?
Just trying to get an idea before replacing and having it happen again.

Got my new windshield installed yesterday at Safelite for $338 total. The estimate from the dealer was $840. Everything seems OK so far with the Safelite installation (knock on wood).

Regards to what causes it, the Safelite guy said that Mazdas, Toyotas, Hondas, etc. allow more flex in the frame, and it is this added flex that causes extra strain on the windshield glass; and hence cracks from even the slightest of pits in the glass, especially when it occurs near the edge. So I would opine that it is probably a combination of the added flex and making the glass too thin that is at the root of the problem.

The dealer did say that he would have run mine through as a warranty issue, but he found just the slightest of a small pit on the crack, about a half inch from the top edge of the glass. Nevertheless, I still don't think that such a miniscule little pin head size pit should be the cause of a such a significant window crack.

The 2016's supposedly have thicker glass. At first I thought that meant it was the side door glass to quiet road noise. But I wonder if the windshields have been improved/thickened? Anyone know the details on the glass changes on a 2016 CX-5? I'm in the market to buy a 15 or 16 new, and the piece of mind of not having to deal with cracked windshields would definitely push me to buy a slightly more expensive 16 rather than a cheaper 15. What do you think?

Got my new windshield installed yesterday at Safelite for $338 total. The estimate from the dealer was $840. Everything seems OK so far with the Safelite installation (knock on wood).

Regards to what causes it, the Safelite guy said that Mazdas, Toyotas, Hondas, etc. allow more flex in the frame, and it is this added flex that causes extra strain on the windshield glass; and hence cracks from even the slightest of pits in the glass, especially when it occurs near the edge. So I would opine that it is probably a combination of the added flex and making the glass too thin that is at the root of the problem.

I installed a strut bar in the front partly because of this issue.
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

The dealer did say that he would have run mine through as a warranty issue, but he found just the slightest of a small pit on the crack, about a half inch from the top edge of the glass. Nevertheless, I still don't think that such a miniscule little pin head size pit should be the cause of a such a significant window crack.

Looks like tech package with Safelite online wizard for a '15 is $568.95.

Back