Free Oil Change

old-school

Contributor
:
CX-5
SWMBO took the 2 month old CX-5 in for the dealer's free 5000 mile oil change yesterday.

Picked it up looking like this, must have washed it with a Brillo Pad. Can this be fixed without shooting a new clear coat? What a mess! Besides the scratches check out the door! Most of the car lookslike that...

image2_zpsg6wnhmjl.jpg

image1_zpsbttytvvy.jpg

image3_zpsass8k4rn.jpg

I'm taking it in tomorrow, already texted pics to the service manager...

Any wisedom before I head in there would be appreciated!

As said in other threads, avoid automatic car washes and washes at the dealers AT ALL COST. That applies for entry luxury dealers (BMW, Benz, Audi, Etc) as well. There is no doubt that damages will be induced. There is simply no care for the cleanliness or safety of your vehicle. I have dedicated "NO CAR WASH" signs I made for family and friends to paste on their cars when they're taken to the dealers.

Keep in mind that the surface of the paint is often more fragile the our skin. Obviously, paint does not heal like skin either. Using harsh and abrasive materials like dirty towels and brushes WILL scratch the paint.

There should be no need for repaint. Find a reputable professional detailer to correct the damages on your car by fine polishing. The scratches look like they are surface marring without penetration of the clear coat and paint. The scratch depth by the mirror does concern me though.

Finding a reputable dealer is a very important factor in the outcome of the work as well. I can confidently say 80% of "detailers" do not professionally do their work and can create more damage than fixes. I can provide you a few professional detailing forums for you to find someone in your area of your choice.

Last edited:
Here are two forums you can look in. I suggest making a thread in the appropriate section for detailing request. If anyone responds, you can look at their history of posts so you have an idea of what work they've done (ultimately how reputable they are).

http://www.autopia.org/forums/forum.php?
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/

They're also good databases for exterior car care. Getting the car detailed, looking like new (if not better), and protected is important. Maintaining the protection and exterior condition is even more important.

The Meguiar's forum is less known and popular. The forum obviously leans towards Meguiar's products, but it can also be a good source.
http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/forum.php

Oh...sorry to hear.. this feeds directly into my concerns over the years.

Every dealer has exalted the life-time car wash with car purchase the last 10 years or so. I wash my own though. This is probably a great deal for someone who leases but I'm a long termer who doesn't care to repair their damage.

Great links... SayNoToPistons

Just used some Ultimate Black on the CX-5 today.

meguiars-ultimate-black-plastic-restorer-11.jpg

The plastic I'm not too worried about it's the paint that's a complete mess.

I never let anyone work on my cars. I am worried the oil plug is cross threaded now!

Yeah, that old "free" thing strikes again. That stinks. I hate paying the so called professionals to ruin my stuff. I have also had some bad experiences at dealerships and oil change chains in the past. Whether it is damage or leaving parts behind, I to have learned the hard way. Good luck.

Well an update. The dealer offered to fix the problem, 5 dudes drifted in to look at the paint. The service manager was seroiusly P.O.ed and assured that we would be happy with the results.

Regarding the scratch by the mirror I ask they touch up without trying major repaint. I decided I'd rather be ticked about a scratch touch up than have issues with blending and paint problems later on. Decided to let them give it a shot.

They had it a day. It was raining so they left it in the shop so we could look it over dry. OK, that was kinda cool. John the fellow that worked on it came over cleaning up with a shop rag while we talked. He just stood there flat footed and smiling while we looked it over. Ok that was cool too, seemed to be pretty confident in his work.

Blew my mind. The paint looked flawless. Clear coat intact even on scratches in the rear lid. The scratch touch up by the mirror is noticable if you're standing in the right spot to pick it up in glancing light. I asked for that so I'll live with it...

More important SWMBO was happy to have her NEW car back and looking new again. Considering where it was when we dropped it off John was rightfully proud of his work. When we got it in the sunshine the follwing day, no issues. There are fellows out there that take pride in thier work and are truly artist of their craft. Fortunate to bump into one in this case. So here's a time a dealer that made good...

Well an update. The dealer offered to fix the problem, 5 dudes drifted in to look at the paint. The service manager was seroiusly P.O.ed and assured that we would be happy with the results.

Regarding the scratch by the mirror I ask they touch up without trying major repaint. I decided I'd rather be ticked about a scratch touch up than have issues with blending and paint problems later on. Decided to let them give it a shot.

They had it a day. It was raining so they left it in the shop so we could look it over dry. OK, that was kinda cool. John the fellow that worked on it came over cleaning up with a shop rag while we talked. He just stood there flat footed and smiling while we looked it over. Ok that was cool too, seemed to be pretty confident in his work.

Blew my mind. The paint looked flawless. Clear coat intact even on scratches in the rear lid. The scratch touch up by the mirror is noticable if you're standing in the right spot to pick it up in glancing light. I asked for that so I'll live with it...

More important SWMBO was happy to have her NEW car back and looking new again. Considering where it was when we dropped it off John was rightfully proud of his work. When we got it in the sunshine the follwing day, no issues. There are fellows out there that take pride in thier work and are truly artist of their craft. Fortunate to bump into one in this case. So here's a time a dealer that made good...

That is good to hear! Thanks for the update. Enjoy your ZOOM ZOOM!

Mazda just makes the car, however it is ultimately up to the individual dealer, that plays the largest continuing role of keeping the customer happy.

I myself happen to live in a dead zone of Mazda Dealers, and I drive past 2 closer dealerships, that are 90 and 120 miles away, to get to a 3rd Mazda Dealer that is 150 miles away for all of my buying and service needs. YES, It is a pain to do this, but it is even more of a pain to deal with a poor service dept., and to have to go back and waste more time, energy, and emotions, because of rework, poor workmanship, or creating other problems.

Nice the dealer corrected the damages. After experiencing a stripped drain plug bolt, crushed underbody panels, scratch to hell air box, and a tech who messed with the settings on my DQ-61 that took me two weeks to correct, I now do all my own maintenance and washes.

Typically, dealerships hire HS drop outs to sweep floors, take out garbage and WASH cars. I always decline the free washes. Ed

Nice the dealer corrected the damages. After experiencing a stripped drain plug bolt, crushed underbody panels, scratch to hell air box, and a tech who messed with the settings on my DQ-61 that took me two weeks to correct, I now do all my own maintenance and washes.

Yes.

Ordered and received 5 oil changes from Med Center. Genuine Mazda Moly Oil, drain plug washer, filters and the filter wrench. Free shipping and arrived in under a handful of days after ordering from clear across the nation.

We have an '06 Escape Hybrid with 253,000 miles and every single repair with the exception of one recall I've done. Said to the Service Manager when we brought the CX-5 in; "I never let anyone work on my cars, THIS (pointing to the scratches) is why!"

I've been wrenching on cars since I was 7 years old - 3,000 mile maintenance on Air Cooled VW's. Oil change, valve adjustment, check and adjust points, check and adjust belt tension and change oil in air filter, grease the chassis. In fact all of my fathers children have including my sister. All of my children did the same including my daughter.

Last edited:
Typically, dealerships hire HS drop outs to sweep floors, take out garbage and WASH cars. I always decline the free washes. Ed

In my previous life I had to hire (and fire) folks. I hated firing people, but never had to fire anyone I hired. Here's how. First sort was HS diploma or more vs "other". Never interviewed an "other". I figured if they couldn't get outta bed to get a free education then... well I don't do diapers...

Last edited:
20 years ago I worked for a dealer as an auto tech for a very short time. The things I saw those guys do to customers cars in order to beat the times for various jobs was an eye opening experience. I'm not sure if it's all still the same today but back then an auto technician was paid piece work or paid by the job with allotted hours. For example a brake job could pay 2.5 hours. The way they set those times was to pay a technician to do a job 10 times in a row. They then took the best time and put that in the book as the time you were allotted to get the job done. The only way you could make money was to beat those times. Some guys could beat them all the time and some got 6 hours for 8 hours work or less. Some guys cheated and really made out at the customers vehicles/expense. Warranty work was the worst and no one wanted to do it because it paid the least. Sometimes I think techs will write "can't verify customer complaint" on the ticket just so they don't have to do it.

My wife tells me to take the car in for service. Even with me watching, the mechanic has tried to screw up my car. I had one guy cut the tie wraps to get a wiring harness out of the way and then left the harness dangle. I called the manager and said that I wanted the harness tied back to the attachment point, he told me that the car didn't need that tie wrap. I read him the riot act. How many people would have believed the manager and then a year later had the wire break off of the transmission switch from fatigue. I don't really trust them to do a good job. The wife just doesn't understand.

Last edited:
Back