If you just bought a new CX-5 you would....

Bob-Loblaw

:
2016 CX-5 GT
Been a while since I bought a new car so just trying to figure how to best protect my investment and keep it looking nice. I don't have the time to do all the waxing and clay bar stuff myself so I'm thinking of having one of those mobile guys come out but it seems strange to have that done on a brand new car. Is it? What about protective film for the front bumper area? I read somewhere factory paint was soft and susceptible to chipping. Should I treat the interior? Car will be garaged when at the house fwiw.

Here is what I've got so far:

California Car Cover-Superweave
Cargo Tray
Mazda Sunvisor

Next on the agenda is a front window tint.

I'm most likely gonna do the 3M protective film in a few weeks. My 2013 had tons of chips and I kinda suck at fixing them.

I'm most likely gonna do the 3M protective film in a few weeks. My 2013 had tons of chips and I kinda suck at fixing them.

Can you send me a link to see what you're looking at? What parts of the car will you do? Will you install it yourself? If so, is it pretty easy or can it be tricky. For instance I would not try to tint my own windows. Any worry about the paint not matching if and when the film comes off? Any tips or feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

The place that's tinting my windows quoted me $700 to install a "clear bra" which covers full bumper, partial fenders and hood and full mirrors. Seems pretty pricey. Gonna have to hold off on that for now.

The place that's tinting my windows quoted me $700 to install a "clear bra" which covers full bumper, partial fenders and hood and full mirrors. Seems pretty pricey. Gonna have to hold off on that for now.

I got mine through dealer who contracted out work to 3rd party

Coverage included: hood, headlights, top of grille, front bumper, front part of mirrors and door handle area

Check out ShowCarDetailing, they're in Anaheim so not too far from you. They've been the only ones to detail my 2 mazdas because I like their work and the owner (Richard) is a nice guy. I actually just got a CX-5 a week ago and will go there to get it protected. I usually have the whole car opti-coated and have the front bumper, headlights, grill and side mirrors applied with paint protection film which they do as well. Opti-Coat has been great so far on my 3. Supposedly, you shouldn't have to wax your car ever again although that sounds too good to be true. I'll be happy with 5-6 years of not having to wax my car. You'll just have to clay it once the surface gets rough.

www.facebook.com/ShowCarDetailing

Definitely get a protective film for the front bumper/hood... I'm regretting that I didn't and I only owned the car for about 1.5 years, have maybe 5 or 6 chipped paint..

Not a big fan of car covers especially if you have a garage. If your worried about dust I have been using a California duster on my 328 that I keep garaged. Looks brand new 4 years and 90,000 miles later. No paint swirls. I would agree to the clear bra and wish I had done this to both cars when new. Driving highway miles fighting trucks spewing debree is brutal on the front bumpers and hood.

Not a big fan of car covers especially if you have a garage. If your worried about dust I have been using a California duster on my 328 that I keep garaged. Looks brand new 4 years and 90,000 miles later. No paint swirls.

The cover is for sun protection as well as dust. I park in a construction type yard so it's much dirtier than your typical parking lot. I typically work 10 hrs a day 6 days a week so the cover will give me some peace of mind especially during the brutal summer months.

Clear bra, professionally installed, definitely worth the $. 2 winters here with salt & sand plus regular road debris; still looks brand new.

Clear bra, professionally installed, definitely worth the $. 2 winters here with salt & sand plus regular road debris; still looks brand new.

After all the suggestions I've decided to shell out for the clear bra. Thing is guy says they don't have a pattern for the 16 yet and it will be more money if they have to hand cut it. IIRC the headlight lens is shaped differently on the 16's right? Is there any other difference? Getting the front windows tinted right now.

I too went with the 3M and worth every penny. Complete front end, even the fog lights and the big grill bar just under the hood. Almost one year since install and the 3M still looks new and has held up excellent against road debris. Our dealer also farms this out, but I have visited the installer and is definitely covered for as long as I own the car.

I got my California Car Cover yesterday. It fits great, the quality is top notch, it's light, compact and not that difficult to put on. However the more I read the consensus seems to be that car covers just aren't worth it and could cause more harm than good. The car is a daily driver for me and will be garaged at night so I'm leaning toward returning the cover and puting that $400 towards the clear bra. All the windows will be tinted and I use a sun visor in the front religiously so UV on the interior should not be an issue. Anyone have an argument in favor of a car cover in my situation?

Mazda invoice pricing for the clear film is $476. That is what my dealer sold me mine for. Work was obviously contracted out. You won't regret having it a few years out if you still have your CX-5.

Mazda invoice pricing for the clear film is $476. That is what my dealer sold me mine for. Work was obviously contracted out. You won't regret having it a few years out if you still have your CX-5.

So $476 for the film and how much to have it installed?

That was total for parts & labor.

Dayum. Guess I should contact the dealer. Thanks!

Edit: Well dealer says Mazda is having a problem with the manufacturer so they don't have them right now. I called another place and they quoted me $650 but still waiting on a pattern to come out for the 16'.

Last edited:
Back