Test drove 2016 CX-5 GT

:
K2500 Diesel Suburban; 2016 CX5 GT
Ive been waiting for this vehicle for a while. Dealer called yesterday to tell me they just got a delivery so we headed right down. The one we played with was white in color. The over all car looked great. Interior looked a lot classier then the 2015 they had in the show room. It was daytime so not much feed back on how bright the LED headlight would be. Infotainment system setup was nicely done and the overall driver seat and arm rest made it a comfortable ride. We took it for a test ride. I wanted to see how she handled on the highway. Of course about half way to the high way ramp I asked if I could take a left which he said sure. I was looking for someplace that had some snow to test out how she handles. I found it. There was a park that hadn't been plowed. It looked like a 4 wheeler had driven in, looped around and drove out and I kid you not, between 10 and 12 inches of snow. We stopped in front of the entrance that sloped down into the park. I said to the sales rep, what do you think? I laughed to myself and was about to pull away when he said, why not? When I drove through the beginning of the opening about 20 feet I was already impressed that it made it that far. Didn't see the need to keep going further BUT when I tried to backup we got stuck. Seemed to have better traction moving forward so thought I'd make a K turn. Stuck again. Wasn't too happy with how the car felt while trying to get out until the rep said to turn off the TCS.. That's when I felt I had a car to play with. I had to rock her forward a few feet, then back and turn, etc.. It took a few tries but I got her facing the right way, in 10 to 12 inches of snow, going up an incline too. She pulled herself out. My wife turned to me and said, SOLD! To be honest, we had no business being in there but I really wanted to know what this car could do. Or course now I still wanted to know how she felt on the high way. Problem we had was that the wheels where packed with snow which caused a shake in the steering wheel. Totally understandable and no knock against the car. It was quiet and comfortable on the highway. We were all set at this point. We knew we would buy this car when our color came in. Silver. That's when things went down hill. He said, you know they changed the silver this year and it's lighter then the prior one. He had the new silver on a Mazda 6 side by side with the old silver Mazda 6. Mazda made a HUGE mistake changing colors. The new silver looks so washed out compared to the rich looking old color. I couldn't believe it. The new classier interior matched up with the richer looking Silver IMHO was the best setup for this car. Don't know what Mazda was thinking when they changed it but they just made the car look cheap. Rep said he would let me know when the silver 2016 comes in and maybe it would look different on the CX5. We'll see. Just not sold yet. Overall I REALLY like this car. Now to find a color I like. I even joked asking if he could find out if they have any left over paint that they could use if I special order one.

I'm glad Mazda have changed the Silver to a lighter shade.
My so called silver is actually grey, it gets dirty looking a lot quicker than my previous two silver cars did, I look forward to seeing one.

Last edited:
Yes! Thanks for the review and thanks for being ballsy enough to push the limits especially with the OEM all season tires. Good to know how the truck will handle as is from the dealer. Glad to hear you liked it for the most part. I'm not sure of the lighter grays but I like the charcoal type of gray. Actually I like the red, white and the blue colors as well. At least from pictures. We'll have to see in person.

.... I'm not sure of the lighter grays but I like the charcoal type of gray. Actually I like the red, white and the blue colors as well. At least from pictures. We'll have to see in person.

I first saw the Silver while at the dealership over the summer. Seemed all the colored cars in the lot showed dirt except for the silver. Or better said, the silver showed less dirt then all the rest. I'm always checking out cross over vehicles while driving around. Some CX-5's look smaller then others. Even yesterday the rep pointed out how some colors make the car look bigger then others even when parked side by side. White looking the largest and the darker you go the smaller it seems to look. I liked the white but the wife said, white was too white and black was too dark and would show the most dirt leaving silver right in the middle. :) Going to check out the charcoal grey or meteor grey is what Mazda calls it.

Going to check out the charcoal grey or meteor grey is what Mazda calls it.

Nice! If you make any deals or offers please let us know what they're going for. I am waiting for these to come out officially and hopefully can get a decent deal on a lease. All I want is a touring package, would like to try to keep the price around $26-27k. Lol don't know how much longer my current car will last.

Going to check out the ... meteor grey is what Mazda calls it.

I look forward to your thoughts on this. My impression is that this color has strong Brown undertones to it, which doesn't interest me. But I haven't seen it in person so I'm reserving judgement.

I look forward to your thoughts on this. My impression is that this color has strong Brown undertones to it, which doesn't interest me. But I haven't seen it in person so I'm reserving judgement.

Just came back from the dealer. They had every color of 2015 cx5 lined up next to each other. Not so interested in the meteor grey. Did nothing for me. The dark blue was ok but not really wowing me. It's either going to be the new faded silver or white. The one coming in has the roof rails which I don't want so I'll be waiting a little longer for one that matche's my wants. Would like to check out the iactivesence package before making a decision. None of the 2016 coming in this month has that package. Maybe they have it in a Mazda 3 or 6 that I can experience.

I had never owned a silver car before the CX but I agree..it is nice that that looks better for a longer period once it starts to get dirty.

Seemed all the colored cars in the lot showed dirt except for the silver. Or better said, the silver showed less dirt then all the rest.

Put snow tires on my 2014...was unstoppable in the blizzard here in Chicago. Seen much more capable AWD spinning tires as I just drove around them. U won't regret it your purchase

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just came back from the dealer.

... Question, has the dealer said when they officially come out?

He didn't say but I'm guessing since he's got it on his lot, then it's out?

I emailed my sales rep to find out more about the I-Activesense and to get some idea how much this car will cost me with one or both packages. He just replied saying he hasn't gotten the invoice for them yet so he doesn't know the price. Guess they are not "officially" released yet. Maybe Mazda is seeing how much demand they get before they release the price to know how much to ask? Originally I was told the price would be the same as the 2015. Hope that holds true..

Last edited:
Originally I was told the price would be the same as the 2015. Hope that holds true..

I did see someone post on another thread the pricing that looked like it could be official. I'll see if I can find it and re-post it here. I would figure that the car would be released in a more official manor through media, some small internet article, or the most obvious way which would be on Mazda's U.S website.. I honestly have no idea how these things normally go in general with any automaker, nor with Mazda? Is this the norm?

Thanks for the review! That's exciting.

Honestly, not too hurt about hearing them remove the grey - wasn't a fan of it on the CX-5. I wish they'd bring back Storm Blue, but ah well.

Back