CX-5 vs. Manhole Cover

Wow, I'm glad that's not my Mazda.

Yeah, but if it did happen to your Mazda at least you wouldn't have to deal with the infotainment system you're dissatisfied with so much so that you want to sue them.

The OP would have benefitted from a little more explanation. However I get the impression that it wasn't the manhole cover so much as what was underneath the cover that was the problem!

This is a normal occurrence in nyc, and any major city with underground electrical cables that see snow and salt. The salt used to treat the snow on the roads seeps into the manholes as the snow melts. Electrical cables and salt water do not mix. The salt eats away at the insulation on the cables which eventually leads to the cables faulting. Also as the insulation deteriorates, it releases gases which can explode/burn, resulting in manhole fires and occasionally causing explosions so powerful it will blow the covers off. This happens every winter/ snow storm.

The OP would have benefitted from a little more explanation. However I get the impression that it wasn't the manhole cover so much as what was underneath the cover that was the problem!

Manhole cover explodes into CX-5. Hope that helps.

How do insurance companies address this?

Not much different than a large tree branch falling and totalling it, from that perspective. Assuming the driver had collision/replacement.

Back