Wet Okole Seat Cover Installation

outpost22

:
2015 Mazda CX-5 Touring
Firstly, I apologize if this subject was beat to death previously, but I thought I would share my installation experience. We live on a ranch and things can get a little dirty here. We thought it best to get seat covers while the car was "young" and before any damage to them had occurred.
If you are considering ordering these covers, be sure and note that it takes about 4-5 weeks to get them as they are tailored to your selections of color and options. The fitment is quite good, with a few exceptions. I experienced too much material in one area of the passenger seat, but these are seat COVERS, not upholstery. The PITA factor is quite high, about 8.5 out of 10. Installation time was about 4 hours for me and it still isn't 100% complete.
The underside of these seats (as noted by Felt_Rider in his assessment written elsewhere) are very sharp. The metal edges are NOT finished smoothly and are very sharp. This is quite commonplace on other seats I've worked on too. The downer was cutting my hand installing the first cover on the driver seat and seeing a drop of "water" soak into the cover. Unfortunately it was my own blood from cutting my hand under the seat, leaving the first stain. All in all I ended up with 5 cuts on various fingers. There just isn't enough room to wear gloves and feel for the straps, etc in such tight places, especially on the rear seats. If you have 15" long fingers and 1" diameter arms, you should do well at this. The actual best way to install these would be to remove the seats.
The front seat bases weren't too bad to install, except for the power drivers seat having a lot of mechanisms under it. The passenger seat was simpler, yet the gap to run the support straps was very tight near the console side. The front seat back covers and headrest covers are quite easy to do. You even get a cover for the center armrest.
The rear seats are another story. The bases have very little room under them to work the adjustment straps, requiring you to preset your strap lengths BEFORE placing them under the seat. There is no way to tighten them much more once they are under the seat. The center "seat", if you can call it that, was impossible to get the straps under it. I just placed the cover over it and it fit snugly without straps. It really would take seat removal to install it correctly. The rear seat backs are also difficult to install, requiring you to disconnect the "change catchers" behind the seat where they meet the spare tire cover. From there it is a tug of war to pull and tension the covers into place while manipulating the seat belts into proper positions. The seat bases where a little "puffy" but seemed to work themselves flat after a while. there is also a cover included for the rear armrest/cup holder. The rear seatback release are now wedged tighter than stock due to 2 layers of fabric in the seams requiring you to release the levers in the back and then push them down. They also won't lie as flat as stock due to the extra layers of material.

We also ordered the heated seat option, but I have yet to hook them up as I'm waiting for an accessory splitter adapter for the cigarette lighter to power them.

This is not an easy job or a quick one. You can judge if it's right for you. The easy way would be to pay an upholstery shop to put these on, but I'm stubborn and like to do things myself. If you don't believe me, just look at the cuts on my hands(gah)

Click for pictures below:

Wetokole1-re1.jpg

wetokole2-re2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for letting me know. The previews looked fine (?)
Try it now . They should be working. You may have to refresh your screen.

Back