ScanGauge, Recomended

:
CX-5
I have been looking for a temperature and volt gauge since I bought my CX-5. I settled on the ScanGauge E because it is small, only displays two things simultaneously and has a nice easy to read display.

When I received it I found that it would not shut off when the car is shut off. Some web research shows that the 0 RPM shutoff is not compatible with Mazda Skyactiv system. (I checked and sure enough the car reports 760 RPM with the engine off!) I emailed ScanGauge and they wrote back and said I had a older model. the new ones have a option to sens voltage for turn off. Then the surprise. Send it to them. They would update it and ship it back, all free.

It came back priority mail in about a week and works as it should.

Good company, Good Product.

Frank

Last edited:
You can do that for free on the phone just need a $10 pbd2 Bluetooth adapter and Torque app.

You can do that for free on the phone just need a $10 pbd2 Bluetooth adapter and Torque app.

You can get the information that way but you can't "do that" I have a transmitter and Ipad and phone and the apps but I wanted Gauges. Something mounted in the car that comes on when I start the car, is always right there, and goes off when I shut the car off. ScanGauge is just what I was looking for.

I have an Ultragauge (ultra-gauge.com) in my other car. Same basic principle as the Scangauge, but it's prettier, cheaper and more configurable (from two to eight different readouts displayed per 'page' and up to 6 selectable pages). Also upgradable and I can heartily recommend it.

Representative pic (not my car):

maxresdefault.jpg

It seems they offer gauges that tell you fuel costs, etc - most of this is already on the CX5 dash. I'd want to see things like oil pressure and temperature, etc. what is the value of these gauges? $70 is a lot of money for this. Seems like a mobile phone app waiting to happen...

You can get the tq pro android app free. Reads codes, logs data can display over 50 pids so you can select what you want to see. You can also get calculations like 0-60 70-80, hp, etc. Customizable gauges. All you need is the bt adapter for obd2 like $10 and your phone, or a cheap android device w/bluetooth (old phone, $20 ebay phone sized android player etc.

It seems they offer gauges that tell you fuel costs, etc - most of this is already on the CX5 dash. I'd want to see things like oil pressure and temperature, etc. what is the value of these gauges? $70 is a lot of money for this. Seems like a mobile phone app waiting to happen...

Yes, Lots of phone apps and I-pad apps will do that.

It is not worth buying the Scan Gauge unless you want something it offers.

I wanted a permanent install that was always in the same spot displaying the same info with nothing to plug in, turn on, open up or otherwise mess with. it can be set to wake up displaying any 4 gauges (ScanGauge II) or two gauges (Scangauge E) you chose (if Mazda provides the info at the OBDII Jack)

Mine comes on when the engine starts and tells me water temp and battery voltage.

fdew:

I have a ScanGuage II mounted in the Escape Hybrid that I'd like to move to the CX-5 for the same reasons you've mentioned.

I'm just not much of a phone-y so I don't care to buy a $300 phone just to read temps and oil pressure with the app and adapter for that...

So my question is I can't find any codes for the CX-5 that will do that. Have you?

I was interested primarily in Battery voltage and engine coolant temperature. These are standard, no special codes required. My understanding is that Mazda doesn't measure or report oil pressure except with a low pressure switch. (On Off) I think the only way to get a oil pressure gauge is to find the switch, remove it, install a "T" and install the switch and a sender for a dedicated gauge. Here is a link to a guy that did it.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...an-unemployed-engineer-does-to-his-CX-5-sport

I checked the Mazda Shop manual for how to check oil pressure. They instruct on how to remove the switch and install a portable gauge on a flexible hose. This tells me that the dealer has no other way of getting oil pressure info from the vehicle so we don't either.

Back