Enable rearlights with Daylight Running Lights?

jev

:
Mazda CX-5
Does anybody know if it's possible to enable the rear lights together with the DRL's? This is mandatory for EU-spec cars produced after 2014, but I would like to have the same functionality on my 2014 CX-5 too...

Sure, but you'll have to rewire.

Just leave your parking lights on, which activates the DRL's as well.

Sure, but you'll have to rewire.
Rewire? That would be silly; modern cars control lighting through their CANbus-systems and I know the European brands (including but not restricted to Citroen, Peugeot, VW, Audi, Volvo etc.) allow this feature to be set through OBD.

I have no parking lights, I can choose between DRL, low beam and high beam (and off or automatic).

Rewire? That would be silly; modern cars control lighting through their CANbus-systems and I know the European brands (including but not restricted to Citroen, Peugeot, VW, Audi, Volvo etc.) allow this feature to be set through OBD.

I have no parking lights, I can choose between DRL, low beam and high beam (and off or automatic).

We don't have CANbus...

The DRL stays on with the parking light- first click.

We don't have CANbus...
Yes we do. It's called "Multiplex Communication System" in the workshop manual.

Again, I have "Off", "Low beam" and "High beam". With "Off" (or automatic if there's enough ambient light), the DRL is on but no other lights. When either ambient light levels dip below the low threshold or one switches the light control to the first click, DRL switches off and main light switches on.

Doesn't the first "click" that turns on parking lights, turn off the DRL?? hmmmmm??
It might be different for non tech (probably is), but In the Tech's, the park light turns on the side markers and rear running lights. The DRL's stay on.

As far as that is concerned, good luck accessing it, and then figuring out what to change to make it work. A while ago I went to the dealer to see if they could use their interface to make my park lights stay on with the headlights. They couldn't and really, they wouldn't. They wouldn't go and start making unauthorized changes to your ecu/bcm/pcm whatever module controls it. If you want to change that your going to have to DIY, like ECU tuning. Maybe you can do it with MazdaEdit, but you'd have to find the hex for it (e.g are you good at hex code and are you ready to spend many hours defining the table).. and buy the personal version for $250. Or just turn the park light on lol.

DoejQDo.png

Last edited:
Maybe you can do it with MazdaEdit, but you'd have to find the hex for it (e.g are you good at hex code and are you ready to spend many hours defining the table).. and buy the personal version for $250.
Bummer. That was quite different with my previous cars. Since the functionality is mandatory since January 1 2015 by EU law, I try my luck with the European dealer network. Chances are they'll still have some unsold 2014 models that need to be updated before selling them and thus have the means to do it.

Bummer. That was quite different with my previous cars. Since the functionality is mandatory since January 1 2015 by EU law, I try my luck with the European dealer network. Chances are they'll still have some unsold 2014 models that need to be updated before selling them and thus have the means to do it.

Are you located in North America? I'm a bit confused, I understood that as someone who is non-EU and wants the EU functionality. If you are in a country that requires the function, then it probably is something you can have done at the dealer.

I'm from the Netherlands, Europe. Same car, different regulations. But these kind of things tend to be configurable worldwide - one type of software to serve several markets.

My own dealer can't or won't do it, he has no pre-MY15's cars and won't invest the time to investigate (he's a Mazda dealer since October '14, previous dealer went out of business). Mazda NL won't answer technical questions from non-certified personell and I couldn't find a local forum with any technical expertise in this area.

Talked to another local dealer earlier today.

He says the combination DRL + parkinglights is not allowed according to local law and not even possible on my (Xenon-light equipped) model. He has no knowledge of the requested feature (DRL + rearlights) either and told me it is mandatory only for newly approved models. So, even existing unsold MY14 cars may be put on the road without it.

Well, that's the end of that. Too bad, nothing I can do about it (for now).

Back