Input on trading a financed vehicle to dealership for newer version

Worker

:
2014 Mazda CX-5 Sport AT
Hey everyone! I have a random question about a financed vehicle. I purchased my 2014 cx-5 sport last July. I kind of had to "rush" since my tribute at the time had transmission issues before my tag renewal time. So I went ahead and went to a mazda dealership knowing I wanted a cx-5, but wasn't too educated about trims/options. I wish I knew about this site beforehand. I got a good deal on the CPO sport for five years. I had a 750+ credit score at the time but no history, so I have a 4.59% apr.

I read about the new 2016 cx-5 coming out and I love some of the changes with it. Have any of you traded in a vehicle to the dealership for a newer/different vehicle? I know financially it's not a great idea, but I'm single with cheap rent, good 401k contributions and have a pretty good job. Hopefully I can get some insight or similar situations from you all.

Many thanks!

I don't think there's a good answer to this until you have some numbers to work with. Personally I'd dance with the girl that brung ya until the 2017 come out.

On one hand, you only live once. Might as well be happy.

On the other, assuming you financed the entire vehicle save for your trade value, you might be incredibly upside down if you trade up to a 2016. You might comfortable to afford it, but do you really want to throw away $5-10K? There goes the "deal" you got on your 2014.

Welcome to the car game, you know? Things are always improving. It's easy to think that you need and can afford more. Ask yourself: if you trade up to a 2016, will you be happy enough to own it for however long it takes to repay the financing? Or will you see the brand new re-designed 2017, start drooling, and want to trade up again? You might find yourself sitting in your 2016, after the high wears off, saying oh s***, this was dumb. Or maybe not. Maybe leasing is the right path for you?

I have gone through this, too. I decided I could not justify trading up to a new model year. When it comes down to it, the cars are pretty much the same.

You have a few months to figure it out. Make sure you really sit down crunch the numbers.

Back