Who else is waiting impatiently for the 2016 CX-5?

skisintheback

:
2001 Nissan Altima :-(
My search for an AWD crossover SUV came to an end last week when I test drove a 2015 CX-5 GT. (It had come down to the CX-5 and the Subaru Forester. It wasn't even close after the test drive.) After seeing the upgrades coming in the 2016, I decided I had to wait. That new infotainment system looks like a huge upgrade.

The dealership where I test drove the 2015 said their best guess at when they would have 2016s in stock was May-June. The manager said he was already being allocated vehicles. I've contacted every other Mazda dealership in the area to get estimates from them and have heard "mid-March" and "August-September" so far. (The "August-September" salesman had originally called to try and convince me to get a 2015 because "they aren't changing anything in the 2016." He didn't know about the new infotainment system or adaptive cruise control. I'm not sure I trust his estimate.)

Anyone else in the same boat, waiting for these beautiful things to be released? What have you guys been hearing on release dates? What made you wait?

Well, you will be able to get a really good deal on the 2015s, once the word is out about the differences...depends on how much you want to save...assume there will be very little discounts on the 2016s...I was able to get mine for about $3000 off including some rebates, so my 2014.5 MSRP of $32,500 ran more like $29,400...so the money saved doesn't bother me as much as if I had waited for the ONE month newer with the upgrading partial offset crash rating...and if I really want to upgrade my sound (which I am doing) I am doing selective speaker upgrades...full connectivity in a car always seems to smack up against the same people saying they like it for how good it drives, or how safe it is...

The new 2015 Subarus have the lowest days on a dealership lot in the country...the WRX, Forrester, and Outback...less than 12 days I think...shows how popular they are...and they did a new infotainment setup that is getting very favorable reviews...

Personally, I like the interior 2016, exterior redesign, not so much.

haha im waiting BUT, my pregnant wife is like, well if the baby seat in our honda element isnt so bad then we can wait another year. Which would be in line with the 2017 mdoel which would be a new model (right?)

Well, you will be able to get a really good deal on the 2015s, once the word is out about the differences...depends on how much you want to save...assume there will be very little discounts on the 2016s...I was able to get mine for about $3000 off including some rebates, so my 2014.5 MSRP of $32,500 ran more like $29,400...so the money saved doesn't bother me as much as if I had waited for the ONE month newer with the upgrading partial offset crash rating...and if I really want to upgrade my sound (which I am doing) I am doing selective speaker upgrades...

Yeah, I'll negotiate as hard as I can, but I'm not expecting the decision to wait to save me much money :D In the long run though, I would regret not getting what I want more than I would spending more money.

full connectivity in a car always seems to smack up against the same people saying they like it for how good it drives, or how safe it is...

Intuitively, it seems like the new infotainment system would be more safe. The controls seem easier to use and the screen is located closer to your line of sight.

The new 2015 Subarus have the lowest days on a dealership lot in the country...the WRX, Forrester, and Outback...less than 12 days I think...shows how popular they are...and they did a new infotainment setup that is getting very favorable reviews...

Yeah, it's probably even shorter here. Subarus are really popular in the Denver area. I haven't seen that many CX-5s on the road here. If the new CX-5s end up flying off the lot at that pace that will definitely hurt my cause. I can be patient and wait until things cool off if I really have to though.

haha im waiting BUT, my pregnant wife is like, well if the baby seat in our honda element isnt so bad then we can wait another year. Which would be in line with the 2017 mdoel which would be a new model (right?)

Yeah, 2017 is supposed to be a total redesign

According to car and driver and other auto news sights the 2016 goes on sales in February.

I never wait for a new model year to buy a new car, I buy it whenever I think a new car makes sense. In my opinion, the 2016 model is essentially the same car as my 2013. But I've never been one to split hairs about new technology, etc. If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it's a duck.

Yeah, it's probably even shorter here. Subarus are really popular in the Denver area. I haven't seen that many CX-5s on the road here.

Samesies in the Seattle / PNW area. I've seen a few CX-5's here and there but Subaru's generally own the road.

Also, the 2016 re-design is nice, but not enough to warrant for me to trade in my 2015 or anything - plus I prefer the exterior look on the '15 model. Not a huge fan of the grille.

The dealership where I test drove the 2015 said their best guess at when they would have 2016s in stock was May-June. The manager said he was already being allocated vehicles. I've contacted every other Mazda dealership in the area to get estimates from them and have heard "mid-March" and "August-September" so far. (The "August-September" salesman had originally called to try and convince me to get a 2015 because "they aren't changing anything in the 2016." He didn't know about the new infotainment system or adaptive cruise control. I'm not sure I trust his estimate.)

I just got a call from a manager at the "August-September" dealership who had actual information.

He said the 2016s were in the water, about 6 weeks out. So his estimate was mid-February.(breakn)

Mazda is addressing the negatives to keep sales up. 2.0 to 2.5 and infotainment upgrades are just some of the improvements to keep the momentum strong. i bought my 2014 in April of 2013. Had the 2.5 engine not been available I would be driving something else. It's also probably easier to keep track of upgrades associating them by model year. The best thing is paying it off one model year early having the resale value of a newer car!

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't wait to see what the entire package of the refresh looks like (in various color combos). From what I've read I'm looking forward to...
the new grill but NOT the painted grey color
the LED light configuration (front & back)
the myriad of new safety features
upgraded interior finishes & materials
Mazda Connect & Electronic Parking Brake
Better seats front & back
I'm disappointed in....
Still a two tone lighted instrument panel
Still a manual front seat on GT package
No heated steering wheel option
Exterior black trim replaced with the new body color option?! YUCK!
The single option 19" painted rims. Hoping the 18" rims look better.
Replacing the Sand leather with the new white leather.
And still a boring dash cluster & no panoramic roof option.
Bottom line, my 2014 Touring is beautiful. I'm anxiously awaiting to see if it's really worth moving up to a 2016 or waiting for the reengineered 2017. In the mean time I'm enjoying scouring the Internet for the next glimpse of the next look at the 2016s
b3d30af5db4e96d8b635b88da03c7790.jpg

Sent by ZoomZoomer from my iPhone 6

Yeah, 2017 is supposed to be a total redesign

I picked up my '15 GT May of 2014 on a 3 year lease. So, it'll be a 2018 model for me. Only gripes I have are the premium Bose sound unit and the overall noise levels.

Last edited:
I was really close to buying a 2015 CX-5 in late november, and had some doubts on the infotainment system. The next week i saw a press release about the 2016 CX-5 and have been waiting ever since to see if its worth going 2016 or 2015. I have kept in contact with one of the dealers in Seattle and he said it would be late February.

I received a call from my friend that has the Mazda Dealership here in town that my 2016 has been assigned a VIN and is scheduled for production on Jan 20. It should be on a boat around the first and headed for Tacoma and be in town before the end of February.

It is a 2016 GT with tech and I active pkgs. New pricing has not been released to the dealers yet so I don't have a final cost.

I received a call from my friend that has the Mazda Dealership here in town that my 2016 has been assigned a VIN and is scheduled for production on Jan 20. It should be on a boat around the first and headed for Tacoma and be in town before the end of February.

It is a 2016 GT with tech and I active pkgs. New pricing has not been released to the dealers yet so I don't have a final cost.

You're one brave soul.

Back