Brand new to Mazda. Can someone answer some basic questions?

sheilnaik

:
None
Hi all!

My wife and I are thinking about joining the Mazda family! We love the way the cars drive and are considering buying a used CX-5. Two questions for a couple of newbies (please don't laugh at the basic questions!):

Here's the car we're looking at: http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=388841153&LNX=SOMEDTWVDP

1. Is it possible to get a Sport CX-5 with a navigation system? I thought the nav was only offered on Touring and Grand Touring?
2. Is it a good deal? 18k miles and a 2014 model, but it's apparently only a Sport? Leather isn't a big deal to us, so I'm wondering what we're missing and whether it's worth checking out?

Extra credit: What price should we be happy with if we buy the car tomorrow? :)

I'm mostly concerned about question 1 because I don't understand the trim levels on this car. Thank you for all your help!

Hi all!

My wife and I are thinking about joining the Mazda family! We love the way the cars drive and are considering buying a used CX-5. Two questions for a couple of newbies (please don't laugh at the basic questions!):

Here's the car we're looking at: http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=388841153&LNX=SOMEDTWVDP

1. Is it possible to get a Sport CX-5 with a navigation system? I thought the nav was only offered on Touring and Grand Touring?
2. Is it a good deal? 18k miles and a 2014 model, but it's apparently only a Sport? Leather isn't a big deal to us, so I'm wondering what we're missing and whether it's worth checking out?

Extra credit: What price should we be happy with if we buy the car tomorrow? :)

I'm mostly concerned about question 1 because I don't understand the trim levels on this car. Thank you for all your help!

1. GPS/Navigation is just a module that's optional/add-on to the head unit. It seems like the car have the added package for the backup camera + headunit and add-on for navigation.
2. I'm not sure about the pricing...

Sport comes with a 2.0L engine whereas Touring and Grand Touring comes with a 2.5L engine. Might want to compare the engines before buying, depending on what kind of driving you do.

1. GPS/Navigation is just a module that's optional/add-on to the head unit. It seems like the car have the added package for the backup camera + headunit and add-on for navigation.
2. I'm not sure about the pricing...

Sport comes with a 2.0L engine whereas Touring and Grand Touring comes with a 2.5L engine. Might want to compare the engines before buying, depending on what kind of driving you do.

I think the confusion lies in the fact that the website doesn't allow you to add a navigation package when you build a car on the Sport Trim. You can add a Bluetooth package, but it doesn't say anything about navigation. Your response helps clarify a bit, thank you.

Also, the listing is for AWD, so the engine is upgraded :)

I think the confusion lies in the fact that the website doesn't allow you to add a navigation package when you build a car on the Sport Trim. You can add a Bluetooth package, but it doesn't say anything about navigation. Your response helps clarify a bit, thank you.

Also, the listing is for AWD, so the engine is upgraded :)

I won't be too sure about the engine being upgrade to the 2.5L. As far as I know, Sport never had 2.5L engine in 2014. Only 2015 Sport models with AWD have the 2.5L... The 2014 Sport AWD might have the 2.0L still. I could be wrong.

I won't be too sure about the engine being upgrade to the 2.5L. As far as I know, Sport never had 2.5L engine in 2014. Only 2015 Sport models with AWD have the 2.5L... The 2014 Sport AWD might have the 2.0L still. I could be wrong.

Yep, you are right again. So confusing! Thanks for clarifying!

what you are missing is toys and the engine size. The toys that come to mind are leather, keyless remot (I think). Back up camera. Rear seats that slide forward when folding, so they fold flatter. Better heater controls. These are things that I like, but do you need or want them? The sport will be just as much fun to drive on a twistey road, perhaps a bit more, as it is a little lighter.

Also, larger diameter wheels.and no fog lights. Not any advantage to me, but....

BTW. If you realy want any of the above they can be added some easy. (Wheels and fog lights). Some very difficult (keyless remote)

I don't know if you can get the navigation system installed. But I wouldn't bother. The one in our 2014 is just bad. Hard to navigate the menu system, can't do things while moving. It's not a bad nav system, just the interface system. We actually use a Garmin in the car. You can get Garmin's now days with lifetime traffic and lifetime maps for $150 for a 5" model, and $180 for a 6" screen. Mazda wants money for map updates. About the price of a new Garmin with lifetime maps!

At that price I would say, just for kicks, price a 2015 Sport AWD with the 2.5 engine. You might be surprised.

I don't know if you can get the navigation system installed. But I wouldn't bother. The one in our 2014 is just bad. Hard to navigate the menu system, can't do things while moving. It's not a bad nav system, just the interface system. We actually use a Garmin in the car. You can get Garmin's now days with lifetime traffic and lifetime maps for $150 for a 5" model, and $180 for a 6" screen. Mazda wants money for map updates. About the price of a new Garmin with lifetime maps!

Navigation is just a module that you can install by yourself or have dealer install it.. It cost ~$350 or something for that little module that would be located on the lower dash of the driver side. As long as you have the 5.8" touch screen/bluetooth head unit, you can install the navigation yourself basically with buying that module.

I use the Navigon app (Garmin owns them) on my phone on a windshield mount. I think it runs about $50 for the app + usa + canada maps, and free quarterly updates. Music is stored there too and played over bluetooth.

One thing I like about Navigon's app is that you can download only the states you need, saving quite a bit of memory.

If you're only ever in areas with good data coverage, you could even get by with Google map's turn by turn directions, they're very good. And free.

Last edited:
I use the Navigon app (Garmin owns them) on my phone on a windshield mount. I think it runs about $50 for the app + usa + canada maps, and free quarterly updates. Music is stored there too and played over bluetooth.

One thing I like about Navigon's app is that you can download only the states you need, saving quite a bit of memory.

If you're only ever in areas with good data coverage, you could even get by with Google map's turn by turn directions, they're very good. And free.

Consider the free Waze app. Google bought them. They want you to enter traffic data and use your real time data for information on road speeds. Works very well. I find it to be more current than the Garmin or most other traffic sources. Literally, it is real time. It is not the best GPS system, but is real time updated, based on Google maps.

At that price I would say, just for kicks, price a 2015 Sport AWD with the 2.5 engine. You might be surprised.

Agreed. I bought a similarly-outfitted 2015 Sport two weeks ago in Houston for less than that AutoTrader quote (OTD).

My wife and I became first time Mazda owners in June of this year, she got the Mazda 6 Sport and I got the CX-5 Grand Touring completely loaded up at the dealer. I have to say having owned a lot of cars over the (10 new cars since 1995) I do find the Mazda experience to be a very good one. Some minor things I need to address at with the dealer but not deal breakers. Heated seats don't seem to be hot unless its on high (or turned down) from high to medium. Voice controls seem to be way off and don't understand me, beyond that I have about 9300 miles in the last 6 months and its great.

I think you should check out a GT if at all possible you may find it suits your overall wants and needs instead of trying to add parts later on.

My wife and I became first time Mazda owners in June of this year, she got the Mazda 6 Sport and I got the CX-5 Grand Touring completely loaded up at the dealer. I have to say having owned a lot of cars over the (10 new cars since 1995) I do find the Mazda experience to be a very good one. Some minor things I need to address at with the dealer but not deal breakers. Heated seats don't seem to be hot unless its on high (or turned down) from high to medium. Voice controls seem to be way off and don't understand me, beyond that I have about 9300 miles in the last 6 months and its great.

I think you should check out a GT if at all possible you may find it suits your overall wants and needs instead of trying to add parts later on.

There are known problems with the seat heaters, the dealer might be able to do a repair on them; it's a repair on the driver's seat and seat cushion replacement on the passenger's seat.
Also make sure you have the latest 10.854 update on the TomTom software, there are SOME improvements on Voice, but don't hold your breath....

If it were me I'd get a Garmin GPS that I could transfer between cars if needed. Less expensive and better maps and directions than an in-dash Tom Tom.

The Miata club I'm in ran a GPS scavenger hunt a couple of years ago, where you went from location to location using your GPS. It was interesting to see the differences in where different GPS manufacturers took you. The Garmins were the best and the Tom Toms most problematic, in several cases taking people to the wrong place.

Back