bike rack on rear

incitenoob

:
cx-5 sport
Hi,

Has anybody tried using a trunk mounted bike rack on the CX-5? I am nervous about using ours, because the straps put all of the weight on the plastic spoiler over the rear window. Can the spoiler handle this, or is there another way to mount such a rack? Thanks!

Yes, it's possible, but not with the more popular trunk mounted (short arm) racks we find today. The one I used was an old one that has very long arms. The weight of the rack can rest on the top ledge of the bumper and the top arm was high enough to rest onto the lip of the spoiler and was used to wrap the straps around and "re-route" them so they were not putting a downward load onto the spoiler.

IMG_20131006_105928_619_zps777ff61d.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Something like this could work? The main thing is that the arms can reach to the top of the spoiler and allow for the straps to be wrapped around the top before hooking to the top of the hatch.

Are you planning on using this for long term? or just as a short term solution? I wouldn't say it's the best way to transport bikes on the back, but it works when in a pinch. I have installed a rear hitch and bought a hitch mounted bike rack instead, which is much more stable and secure.

Back