2015 Mazda CX-5 AWD GT with Tech Vibrating on Highway 60MPH+

2015CX5AWD

:
2015 Mazda CX-5 AWD GT with Tech
Hi All,

I have a vibration that comes through my brand new 2015 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD. Leased Nov.15th and back at the dealership 2 days later. On the highway every time you go above 60mph the car will vibrate and you can feel the vibration through the seats and steering wheel. Took it back to the dealer and they stated the tires needed to be road force balanced. They did the balancing and gave it back to me. It was better as I drove it home. Unfortunately did not take it on the highway again until this weekend and the vibration is still there although not as bad. Took it back to the dealer this weekend and advised them I am not taking the car back until the vibration is fixed. The car only has 600 miles on it and I am coming from a 2014 Mazda 6 GT which drove like a dream on the highway. I called Mazda corporate this morning and also put in a complaint. I am hoping it can be fixed if not I am going to ask to have the car replaced Anyone else having the same issues?

Sorry to hear of this problem.
I did not hear of others complaining about this kind of issue before. It does sound to me like a wheel balancing issue, which is easily corrected. A bit surprising that it was not fixed the first time around with the balancing that they did.
I am still pretty sure this can still be fixed pretty easily, so don't give up hope and keep us up to date with what eventually gets it resolved.

Wheel balance is the obvious first option but other possible causes shouldn't be disregarded, such as:
Bent drive axle or drive shaft
Defective wheel
Bad tire
Brake rotor imbalance
Bad wheel bearing​
See http://blog.autosquad.com/road-force-balance/

Hope you get it sorted. Good luck and report back with the solution.

Last edited:
The wheels need to be re-balanced (via road force), or there is a bend in one or more wheels.

I would ask for all four wheels and tyres to be replaced. And take it from there, its a new car and unacceptable.

Three tries and you get a new vehicle. Lemon law. You might politely mention that. ed

You need to be proactive with the dealer and make sure they agree they problem exists. Ever notice that the invoice says "customer stated"? They work hard to NOT acknowledge the existence of the problem.

I would go back and drive the car with the service writer and/or the service manager. Get them to agree that the car has a problem. You know the lemon law that erhayes referenced? It works much better if the dealer acknowledges the problem. Write down EXACTLY what they say, and what they about the problem. Documentation is your friend!! It will also help with Mazda. You call Mazda and they turn around and call the dealer. If the dealer says "we can't find the problem" it is much more challenging. Mazda deals with the dealer every day. They may deal with you once. They will support the dealer unless you have documentation.

I had the same problem.
They gave me 4 new tires,because there were three who had flat spots (to long on the same place )

Everything was vibrating at that moment,but I didn't hear any rattle !

So see it as a test ;)

Thanks for all the replies. Current update is that road force didnt fix the issue. They also took tires and rims from a new cx5 gt on lot and it still vibrate. Service manager along with tech then drove another cx5 on lot similar to mine and it vibrated also above 60. Needless to ssay he was stumped. He reached out to mazda corporate and the district manager gave authorization to replace the tires with michelin. They are on order and should be in within a couple days
I will let you know the outcome. If that doesnt fix it the service manager isnt sure what else it could be. We both agreed that if it doesnt get fixed i will get something else. Its very disappointing as this is my 3rd mazda

Weird, my 2013 GT (with tech pkg) never did this in 30K miles of ownership.

Ooops, back to concern, likely a tire problem. Although one owner on the other Mazda forum, found out bad alignment caused his similar problem, correct alignment fixed it.

Mine has a perfect alignment with no shimmy. If new tires don't fix it one has to wonder what happened to vehicle in transport to dealer?

Update:

New tires arrived at the dealership and are being mounted, balanced, and aligned as we speak. Michelin doesn't make a tire that fits the GT CX-5 so they ordered Goodyear Assurance. Service manager and dealership manager are going to road test the car together I was told. I think they are concerned that there is bad batch of toyo tires because another GT AWD they road tested from their lot vibrated also. I will let you know the results from the road test. ...........dealership has now had the car for 5 days.

Update:

New tires arrived at the dealership and are being mounted, balanced, and aligned as we speak. Michelin doesn't make a tire that fits the GT CX-5 so they ordered Goodyear Assurance. Service manager and dealership manager are going to road test the car together I was told. I think they are concerned that there is bad batch of toyo tires because another GT AWD they road tested from their lot vibrated also. I will let you know the results from the road test. ...........dealership has now had the car for 5 days.

Did they give you a decent loaner car?

Five days to change four tyres, are you sure its not because changing tyres made no difference?

ok. just picked up the car and happy to report car is finally fixed. Drove it 35 miles from the dealership back to my office at speeds 80mph+ with no vibrations.
The ride quality has also increased due to the tire change. Overall I am satisfied and glad the problem was solved. The service manager told me that he thinks there is bad batch of toyo tires circulating around.

As for the loaner car it was a 2012 Mazda 3 i sport.

Thanks again for everyone's input and hopefully this will help anyone else experiencing this issue. Once I take some good pics I will post for everyone.

Five days to change four tyres, are you sure its not because changing tyres made no difference?

Mazda will reimburse them for all the testing and loaner days. And now they'll need to test all their vehicles, or at least consult with Mazda to figure out which tires are bad and have them replaced.

This isn't the first report I've heard of bad Toyos - there was a batch a couple years ago too. Mine have been fine, but dang.

Funny... had this exact issue on my '15 3 s GT and it took mazda 6 weeks to replace all 4 wheels and tires...they were Dunlops though. Wheels and tires were bad. Pain in the a$$.....even funnier was the fact that my loaner was a '15 CX-5 GT AWD with the toyo tires and it was smooth as a babies a$$!!!! :)

Back