How much are you guys paying for oil changes through your dealer?

bxpretzel

:
2015 Mazda CX-5, Touring AWD
My dealer just quoted me $57.95 for the full synthetic oil change (with Mazda moly, because otherwise why would I go to my dealer for a simple oil change) and $64.18 to buy the six quarts of oil and filter myself (if I wanted to change it on my own). What are you guys paying? Can I get the oil + oem filter online or elsewhere for cheaper? I'm used to paying like $40 for full synthetic oil and a filter and changing it myself so I'm not happy that this is going to cost me this much to do basic oil changes on this car.

Also, I only hit 3,000 miles a few days ago but it's been 3 months since I bought the car. Should I get the oil changed now or wait a few more x,000 miles?

I'm also pissed because my mom, who bought her CX-5 a few hours away from me a day after I bought mine is getting her first oil change free from her dealer. My dealer is refusing this.

Sounds about right if true. By true I mean they use the oil they advertise.

In any case, I do mine 2x year myself.

I thought the first oil change was free through a Mazda customer care program. I know of no one here (3 new owners) who didn't;t get offered a first free oil change. Ed

My dealer just quoted me $57.95 for the full synthetic oil change (with Mazda moly, because otherwise why would I go to my dealer for a simple oil change) and $64.18 to buy the six quarts of oil and filter myself (if I wanted to change it on my own). What are you guys paying? Can I get the oil + oem filter online or elsewhere for cheaper?

Yes, last spring I ordered three oil changes worth of moly oil and OEM filters for only $135.00 (no tax, no shipping charge) at this place:

http://www.oilchangekits.com/oil-change-kits.html?find=2013-mazda-cx-5-2-0l-skyactiv-385542

Good deal!

I specifically asked if my first oil change was free on the phone today because my mom had hers scheduled by her dealer (for free) and they said no, unless your salesperson promised you that then they would honor it. As shady as my salesman was, I don't want to claim he said that when I know he didn't. After quite a bit of reading reviews of the oils on this board, I definitely want the moly oil and would prefer to do it myself (boyfriend is ex-mechanic, I know the crazy s*** that goes on behind closed doors at dealers and shops!) but my dealer made it pretty clear that it would be more expensive to buy the oil myself, even when I pressed. Lodisej, you're very lucky! I wish all dealers (to whom we've paid quite a chunk of change) were more like this.

Can I at least expect tire rotation/pressure check to be included with the dealer oil change?

Thanks for the link, Mike. That would bring the price down to $45/change and I could do it myself, which is much closer to what I expected. It's not rocket fuel!

Anyone have a recommendation on when to actually do the *first* oil change? I plan to do it every 5,000 miles thereafter (lots of hard city commuting) but have heard varying opinions on when to do the first.

The dealership we usually go to here does not use oil with Moly.
They do, however, use synthetic.

MIKEM: That was a good deal!.. Looks like price went up. It is still about $10 cheaper for three kits with your site so I might order some up. As a long-term Amsoil user I had planned to use it in the CX-5.... but the Mazda moly has such good reviews on Bobistheoilguy it is all I will use in this vehicle. I will be utilizing the longer change interval so worst case is two changes a year.

Last edited:
$600 lifetime oil changes (for as long as I own the CX-5 or the dealer remains in business - they've been around for decades so I'm not too worried and I can transfer it to the next owner for $100) They usually charge somewhere about $60 - $65 before taxes, but then zero it out later on. So about $60 is my answer. In another year or so, I figure I'll have earned the $600 and start saving after that (I tend to own my vehicles for a long time so this wasn't a huge concern to me)

The dealer says the schedule is 8,000 Km or every six months, however, I'm doing it roughly every 4 months and/or 5,000 km as recommended by Mazda for service in Canada (schedule 2 I believe). My Honda Civic is twice a year and/or 8,000KM and I've never had any issues there either and its been on the road problem free (at least engine wise) for over a decade now.

For the first oil change, leave in a bit longer to facilitate breaking in, I think it says so in the manual somewhere. (Maybe I am remembering wrong)

Last edited:
The dealer says the schedule is 8,000 Km or every six months, however, I'm doing it roughly every 4 months and/or 5,000 km as recommended by Mazda for service in Canada (schedule 2 I believe). My Honda Civic is twice a year and/or 8,000KM and I've never had any issues there either and its been on the road problem free (at least engine wise) for over a decade now.

I am going Schedule 1 (12KM/7.5K miles). If I was using dino or semi-synthetic I would be doing 3-5K miles but synthetic can easily achieve schedule 1 miles and more.

[Page 6-5]
http://www.mazda.ca/MciWeb/pdf/manuals/2015/CX-5_2015MY_Edition3_E.pdf

EDIT: I will be changing at 6 months which will likely be far less than schedule 1 mileage.

I've always changed oil myself. On the CX-5 it's a piece of cake. I usually just get Mobil 1 Full Synthetic from Walmart and I use PureOne oil filter. Parts $30, labor free. Everything done right.

Maple shade Mazda offers free lifetime oil changes. Castrol sends a $20 dollar check every few months and you just give it to the dealer. Where they get you is by offering tire rotations and other maintenance items to squeeze money out of you!

I've always changed oil myself. On the CX-5 it's a piece of cake. I usually just get Mobil 1 Full Synthetic from Walmart and I use PureOne oil filter. Parts $30, labor free. Everything done right.

I agree, oil change on the CX-5 is as easy as it gets.

Be aware that Mazda has changed the oil filter spec on the Skyactiv engines about a year ago. I'm not sure if they changed the bypass pressure valve specification or what but the new filters are different (with updated part number). When I ordered from Oil-change-kits.com I was pleased to note they had the updated version in stock. Some aftermarket filter manufacturers will cross reference one filter to both Mazda part numbers. For the very reasonable price of the OEM filters you know you did the job using a filter meeting the most recent specification.

068e20c2cd01f75c95e1ece42da6d901.jpg

f788fad6ff5b3217f1b44994e97c60bc.jpg

Not sure if there is a 302B... my dealer sold me this 302A but I saw this post over on Mazda3 forum from Mazda Malaysia.

Announcement-16thMay2014.aspx

Not sure if there is a 302B... my dealer sold me this 302A but I saw this post over on Mazda3 forum from Mazda Malaysia.

Announcement-16thMay2014.aspx

So it sounds like I would want to get the 302 filter (not 302A) if I live in an area that sees snow/freezing temps?

Not sure because we appear to be talking about three filters now:

PE01-14-302

PE01-14-302A

B6Y1-14-302A <---- This is one is listed for tropical areas

Not sure because we appear to be talking about three filters now:

PE01-14-302

PE01-14-302A

B6Y1-14-302A <---- This is one is listed for tropical areas

Oh, now I understand. So it sounds like either PE01 filter would work. What is the difference then between the two?

$45+tax at my dealer using Mazda Moly and OEM Oil filters

1d961fac8548a23966cd4fdf635e3748x.jpg

Latest posts

Back