Need advice - planning to buy a new CX-5

:
Mazda CX-5 2015 FWD GT
I am planning to buy a new CX-5. Had a couple of question on it:
- how is noise level in this car at 60-70mph? And how is the blind spot visibility without the blind spot sensor?
- how bad is to not have an AC vent for the backseat and non reclining and moving backseats?
- how are original tires? Does it make sense to have quieter tires to improve on the noise level?
- has anyone tried to get better tires than original Toyo A23s (like Michelin Latitude Tour HP, Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season) even before taking the delivery at the dealer? Is there such an option and what would be the cost for that?

Thanks a lot.

I am planning to buy a new CX-5. Had a couple of question on it:
- how is noise level in this car at 60-70mph? And how is the blind spot visibility without the blind spot sensor?
- how bad is to not have an AC vent for the backseat and non reclining and moving backseats?
- how are original tires? Does it make sense to have quieter tires to improve on the noise level?
- has anyone tried to get better tires than original Toyo A23s (like Michelin Latitude Tour HP, Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season) even before taking the delivery at the dealer? Is there such an option and what would be the cost for that?

Thanks a lot.

The noise level in the cab is higher than average. Most Mazdas are, my previous 5 and MPV were louder than similar vehicles in their class.

The blind spot sensor is OK, I still shoulder check to be safe.

Depends on where you live and how consistent the heat is. Personally, if the air con is on I also have the window cracked a bit. An enclosed air con environment makes me ill.

The rear seats not being able to recline was something I totally overlooked. We do long road trips and the kids were OK but, more comfortable in the 5.

So far the A23s have been good. Haven't slipped in the snow or rain. AWD helps.

Hope that helps some of your questions.

Last edited:
The noise level is not too bad. On rough roads there is noise that gets into the cabin, it is pretty good on smooth roads, I am not really complaining as it compares better to other vehicles we own(ed). There is a little wind noise when traveling at highway speeds. I have the 17 inch wheels.
I did try to replace the tires on purchase, however the dealership was not willing to give any refund for the tires on the vehicle. The only choice was to attempt to sell them to used shops or craigslist. It made little sense to do so. Now I have other tires, which score better in quietness on tirerack but I must admit I don't notice much difference. People do say that the Geolanders are noisy close to the end of their life. I replaced mine sooner.

I feel I have very good visibility driving forward and with the back-up camera, pretty good visibility driving backwards.

There is plenty of sun here in California and my son never complained about the heat or the backseat in general. He did like my wife's car's backseat better and he is sensitive to heat, has a sensitive back. I think a reclining or movable backseat is a nice touch, but not as important in the grand scheme of things.

-Do not find it noisier than any previous cars (eg VW Golfs)
-Blind spot works well, use it as a back though, don't rely solely on it!
-AC vent is one of many small niggles with the cabin in the car, it's not too big a deal though.
-Of course it makes sense to have quieter tires, but if it is going to cost you $$$ then it's probably not worth it. The tires are not noticeably noisy considering their width so I would only do it if it didn't cost anything.
-Will change to another tire in 2016 when the originals are worn, as I said, not much wrong with the geolanders but will be buying Nokian HT SUV 17", reviews are great.

Most of my gripes are minor involving the interior. I guess coming out of a lot of German cars over the years you start to get used to some of their nice conveniences.

No rear air vents is kind of annoying. Obviously takes longer for rear occupants to get cool. Also no glove box light is annoying. These things come in some cars that cost considerably less which is frustrating

Other gripe would be the sun roof control. Still stuck with tech from the 90s. I should be able to open the sunroof all the way from a vented position without having to close it first.

If you buy the up coming model year extra sound proofing is being added, in the UK anyway.

Different road lighting etc, new grill.

I had tilting rear seats and rear vents on the last car, and never used them.
Sliding rear seats I would, but that's not available.

If you are getting a CX-5, I would get the 2016 version. More sound-proofing and better interior. They may have fixed the only remaining issues with the CX-5. The only other thing that could be better is a 5L V8 that would get the same MPG....

You definitely should wait for the 2016 model. It is going to have substantially more technology and improvements as stated by others in this thread. If you can wait a few months, you should. I know I would hate myself if I bought a 2015 and in 6 months the 2016 comes out with significantly more options.

You definitely should wait for the 2016 model. It is going to have substantially more technology and improvements as stated by others in this thread. If you can wait a few months, you should. I know I would hate myself if I bought a 2015 and in 6 months the 2016 comes out with significantly more options.

+1

All valid questions. They are all shortcomings of cx5. Get the blind spot monitoring. If the rear passengers fall asleep a lot and if you take long trips often get a different car with reclining rear seats and rear vents.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for all valuable inputs. I may not have an option to wait for the 2016 model and I am not sure about its date either. If I could wait, I would have waited and downsized to CX-3 :).
About tires, GT's 19" makes even more difficult to find a Top rated performance all seasons, so I think I'll stick with original Toyos.

Another quick question for Mazda gurus here: FWD or AWD? I don't expect it to be taken to ice place regularly, it will just be used as a daily commuter for a small family in mostly sunny and sometime wet California. I am thinking of going for the FWD and save some for other things like tech package, am I doing the right thing?

Another quick question for Mazda gurus here: FWD or AWD? I don't expect it to be taken to ice place regularly, it will just be used as a daily commuter for a small family in mostly sunny and sometime wet California. I am thinking of going for the FWD and save some for other things like tech package, am I doing the right thing?

Yes!

I do fine with my fwd sport in Washington state. Not only save money but get much better mpg.

If you are not planning to take it to the snow, where Caltrans enforces chain control for 2WD vehicles, you are better off getting a FWD. It is lighter, costs less, better fuel-economy and drives almost the same.

This may come down to the engine size you want. I believe if you select the 2.5 engine you will have to take AWD with an auto transmission.
I just bought a Sport with 2.5 engine and had to get AWD.

Last edited:
If you are not planning to take it to the snow, where Caltrans enforces chain control for 2WD vehicles, you are better off getting a FWD. It is lighter, costs less, better fuel-economy and drives almost the same.

Same here in WA state... I cross one of the passes every other weekend. During the winter "Chains required" is common but not on AWD... I've only seen one time when chains were required and that was during an ice storm several years back.

This may come down to the engine size you want. I believe if you select the 2.5 engine you will have to take AWD with an auto transmission.
I just bought a Sport with 2.5 engine and had to get AWD.

I don't think that is a requirement. Dealers here do have GT, FWD with Auto 2.5L which I am looking for.

Back