Black Exhaust Tips?

zeruin

:
2015 Mazda CX-5 GT
So I'm wondering what the best method to blackout the CX-5's tips. I'm not quite sure how the rolled stock tips are attached to the tail pipe, but if it were possible to easily remove and reattach them for painting that would be awesome. Otherwise I could attempt painting them on the vehicle. If all else fails I could buy some new tips and either bolt them on or have them welded in a shop.

Anyone got any tips or advice?

Why not just pull the exhaust off the car? It's not that difficult and you can find instructions on Corksport. I'd use high temp BBQ paint or engine paint.

I removed the muffler to replace my exhaust tips. 2 bolts 2 hangers done deal.

What did you have to do to replace the tips, did you cut the old ones off and bolt on new ones? I've read the diagram on how to remove the muffler, it seems easy enough, but I just wanted to see if it was possible to remove and reattach just the tips without cutting and welding them back on.

The stock tip are welded on to the point they will never ever fall off so I cut them off and welded the replacements on.

The simplest way to do this is use PlastiDip, which you can get a can of at most Home Depots and Lowe's. The stuff is rated to over 300 degrees and has been used on exhaust tips and brake calipers for long periods of time. The best part is you can peel it off when/if you ever get sick of it. Just make sure that the tips are clean and DRY before you spray them. Masking off the bumper and other areas should be simple.

Back