Question about wiring a USB cable for phone charging

oshogg

:
2015 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring with Tech
Hi,

I have Mazda 2015 CX-5 (GT with Tech if that matters). I am purchasing a mount for my smartphone - most such mount typically come with a 12V charger and a USB cable which plugs into the phone. I hate to have such cable just dangle in front of the dashboard for aesthetic reasons and would like to somehow route it so it is not so obvious. I am planning to put the charging cradle on the dashboard right above the navigation unit and in front of the center speaker. So, what I am thinking of doing was to get a flat black USB cable and somehow wire it from the speaker on the dash and through the glovebox to the bottom of the center console where there is a 12V port for charging.

Has anyone done something like this? Is this possible? Any other suggestions on how to route such USB cable better (rather than just dangling in front of the dash)?

Thanks,
Osho

There is an older entry about how to wire a radar detector (Valentine 1) from the fuse box. I put in a cigarette lighter type female near the fuse box and plugged in a usb power supply for a dash cam. It was easy to route the power line up the left side and I think you can easily take it out of sight around the dash next to the window and from the window to the back of your mount. If you are willing to drill a hole or create a slit in the dash at your mount you could have all the wiring under the dash...

Last edited:
Back