How to clean the mass air flow sensor properly?

arnolj25

:
2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring
Ive had my Mazda Touring for about 2 years and I know im due for a mass air flow sensor clean,i have most of the effects(symptoms) any tips because I know these air flow sensors are a little different than the regular ones.
PLEASE HELP.

Lack of acceleration on the highway after 55mph mainly,but I read somewhere that you should clean it every year but I just wanted to know how because I dont want to damage a $160 part.

Lack of acceleration on the highway after 55mph mainly,but I read somewhere that you should clean it every year but I just wanted to know how because I dont want to damage a $160 part.

You shouldn't clean the Mass Air Flow sensor every year. It's not in the service manual and it's very likely that cleaning it will do more harm than good.

If you want to inspect the MAF you can connect to your cars OBD2 port and read the MAF values.
Switch the ignition to ON (MAF: 0.59 g/s {0.078 lb/min}): approx. 0.72 V
Idle (after warm up) (MAF: 2.17 g/s {0.287 lb/min}): approx. 0.86 V
Racing (engine speed is 2,000 rpm) (MAF: 4.73 g/s {0.626 lb/min}): approx. 1.07 V

If your values are not close to those above, than you can check the connections, and if those are fine than you can consider cleaning it.. or more likely replacing it altogether.

Lack of acceleration on the highway after 55mph mainly

By the way, here is the list of possible causes of that symptom from the service manual :) Assuming your car is sill under its powertrain warranty you might be best off taking it to the dealer.

Engine overheating

Drive-by-wire control system operates with brake override system

PCM DTC is stored

Improper operation of A/C system

Improper operation of drive-by-wire control system

Throttle body malfunction

Incorrect fuel injection timing

Fuel injector malfunction

Purge solenoid valve malfunction

Erratic signal to PCM

APP sensor or related circuit malfunction

CPP switch or related circuit malfunction (MTX)

Neutral switch or related circuit malfunction (MTX)

Communication error between TCM and PCM (ATX)

ECT sensor No.1 or related circuit malfunction

Fuel pressure sensor or related circuit malfunction

IAT sensor No.1 (integrated in MAF sensor/IAT sensor No.1) or related circuit malfunction

MAF sensor or related circuit malfunction

MAP sensor or related circuit malfunction

A/F sensor or related circuit malfunction

HO2S or related circuit malfunction

Improper air/fuel mixture ratio control operation

Intermittent open or short circuit MAF sensor, APP sensor, TP sensor

Fuel leakage

Poor fuel quality

Air leakage or restriction in intake-air system

Air cleaner restricted or dirty

Vacuum leakage

Clutch slippage (MTX)

Brake dragging

Tire air pressure malfunction

Erratic or no signal from CMP sensor

Loose installation

Damaged trigger wheel (intake camshaft and/or exhaust camshaft)

Open or short circuit in related wiring harness

Erratic signal from CKP sensor

Loose installation

Damaged trigger wheel (crankshaft pulley)

Open or short circuit in related wiring harness

Inadequate fuel pressure (high or low pressure side)

Fuel pressure sensor malfunction

High pressure fuel pump malfunction

Spill valve control solenoid valve control circuit malfunction (damage to driver in PCM caused by short circuit to ground system)

Spill valve control solenoid valve (built-into high pressure fuel pump) malfunction

Relief valve (built-into high pressure fuel pump) malfunction

Fuel line restricted or clogged

Fuel pump mechanical malfunction

Improper operation of electric variable valve timing control system (PCM DTC is stored.)

Improper operation of hydraulic variable valve timing control system

Throttle valve restricted or clogged

Low engine compression

Improper intake valve timing due to timing chain jumping

Improper exhaust valve timing due to timing chain jumping

Spark plug malfunction

Incorrect signal to ignition coil

Exhaust system and/or TWC restriction

PCV valve malfunction

Injector driver (built-into PCM) malfunction

ATX internal malfunction (ATX)

Last edited:
That should about cover it. Maybe he should dump a can of SeaFoam into the gas and crankcase like the pickup guys do!

Ill get it hooked up but most likely its similar to those numbers,if anything Ill just take it to the dealer for just this time(dont really like doing that as they cause more complications)

I'm not too worried about the MAF sensor in our cars. I'm at 35k miles. My wife's 07 Rabbit however I am suspecting her MAF sensor has became an issue. While on the highway she experienced loss of acceleration and vehicle would not shift into higher gears. Her speed only being able to reach around 40 mph. It was also raining hard today. If she's able to drive safely home from work I'm going to check out her MAF sensor - remove it and clean it, replace air filter, and replace her spark plugs. She's at 125k miles.

Back