Fuel economy

Lizardcx5

:
Mazda CX 5 2.2d 175 2012
Hi All

New to the site and CX-5. Just purchased a 2012 2.2 d sports nav ( 175 )
I have only been driving it since Sat 1st Nov expecting the mpg 2 be around 42. I have been driving it carefully in cruising and acceleration, however I can not get tje MPG above 30.
This is a lot below the review spec on this model.

What sort of miles per gallon are the rest of you getting ?

Cheers
Liz

My mileage has been exactly as advertised.

Try fuelly.com and see 600 users averaged to get the same.
http://www.fuelly.com/car/mazda/cx-5

Another good source is fueleconomy.gov that use real world averages.
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/PowerSearch.do?action=noform&path=1&year1=2014&year2=2014&make=Mazda&model=CX-5%202WD&srchtyp=ymm

Keep in mind if you have only been driving it one day, that the AVG MPG takes 50 miles before its right. A trick is to reset it while driving at highway speeds and it will be correct in 5 miles.

Last edited:
Drive at 45mph on a flat road, calm day with cruise on, what is your instantaneous fuel consumption? Mine is typically 4 lt/100km or less or 70mpg+ (150ps engine), so you know that's possible in a perfect world.

I do 70% town, 30% rural driving and get 43mpg which includes a regen or two.

I use these two sites to track my fuel economy. I started using fueleconomy.gov about seven years ago with a Honda and last year with my CX-5.

Six months ago I moved to a temporary place in the mountains and my commute has involved low-gear, high-rev driving up about 2000 feet every day. That combined with mostly city driving instead of long highway driving and I've seen my CX-5 -- gasoline -- drop from an average of 28 (just as advertised) to 22-24 mpg per tank.

I would suggest that anyone with mpg doubts use these sites for a few fuel ups and then consider your driving conditions. If your numbers look bad and you're only doing typical driving, then have your car checked out.

My mileage has been exactly as advertised.

Try fuelly.com and see 600 users averaged to get the same. Seems to be down right now.
http://www.fuelly.com/car/mazda/cx-5

Another good source is fueleconomy.gov that use real world averages.
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Powe...r2=2014&make=Mazda&model=CX-5 2WD&srchtyp=ymm

Keep in mind if you have only been driving it one day, that the AVG MPG takes 50 miles before its right. A trick is to reset it while driving at highway speeds and it will be correct in 5 miles.

Hi, ive got the 2.2d as well, in new zealand, i am averaging 7.2l/100km after 7000km. this would be significantly better if it didnt regen all the time.

Thanks for the answers guys. Gives me a few things to try and a few sites to investigate. Seems most are getting the same all bar one which i defo want to try and get to his results.

I'll keep you updated after i have had her for a few days. First motorway drive tomorrow, see if that ups the average.
Forgot to add driving in the UK.

Last edited:
Also enjoying my cx5 in the uk

Hi All

New to the site and CX-5. Just purchased a 2012 2.2 d sports nav ( 175 )
I have only been driving it since Sat 1st Nov expecting the mpg 2 be around 42. I have been driving it carefully in cruising and acceleration, however I can not get tje MPG above 30.
This is a lot below the review spec on this model.

What sort of miles per gallon are the rest of you getting ?

Cheers
Liz

I am also in the UK and have owned a 2012 2.2d sport nav from new. It is also an automatic with Awd, so should be the least economical. I last set the trip about 5000 miles ago, since when it has recorded 40.4 mpg over mixed, but mainly distance motoring, so yours would appear to be a bit low. Hope this helps,
Regards
Rick.

I am also in the UK and have owned a 2012 2.2d sport nav from new. It is also an automatic with Awd, so should be the least economical. I last set the trip about 5000 miles ago, since when it has recorded 40.4 mpg over mixed, but mainly distance motoring, so yours would appear to be a bit low. Hope this helps,
Regards
Rick.

Hi Rick

Thanks for the info. I have travelled a few more motorway miles probably 60 / 40 split now. The average mileage is now 35 which is better. I meet my college today who drives a 3ltr v6 Tdi landrover and he reckons he gets 40 mpg. Considering ours is 2.2 we should be on the same if not better, however I am going to check this figure out.
What sort of speed do you travel at on the motorway? I tried to stick to 70 mph(113 kmh) with cruise control on.
To be honest I bought the car to slow me down and it is working. It does feel comfortable, could have done with adjustable head rests, but I don't feel the need to rush so much, especially when trying to get a good mpg lol.
Regards
Mark

As an update as I have been driving the CX5 for a couple of weeks. I am averaging 37.6 mpg. This is mostly long distance driving cruising at about 70 mph.

Cheers

Mark

Last edited:
Back