Detachable Key on Key Fob

fvansan

:
2014 mazda cx 5 gt
I have a 2014 CX-5 GT. The car is key-less entry and push-button start. The key fob has a detachable key that looks like any other auto key, yet the car has no key entry point to place the key. So why, do I have this key? I checked the Manual and it only references a auxiliary key and how to detach it from the fob. Any one have an answer to why there is a key at all if there is no place to insert it?

Any one have an answer to why there is a key at all if there is no place to insert it?
Look at the driver's side outside door handle. There should be a keyhole there so you can unlock the car when the battery dies.

I'll have a look when I pop out in a bit to make sure, but my previous car had similar and there was a small flap you could lift on drivers door handle with keyhole hidden inside.

I'm sure it'll be similar...I've not looked, although I HAVE found my pop out key!

Scratch that, I have keyless entry on a UK spec car and there's a visible keyhole on drivers door (only). No flap.

This seems like a weird thread. There's either a driver's door handle key slot on the GT (like there is on my Touring) or there's not. And everyone here says there is except the OP. Pictures on the Mazda web site seem to show one on the 2015 GT as well. What's wrong with this picture?

I am embarrassed. I have looked before and didn't see anything and now i looked again and it is there. I don't understand why my eyes didn't process this before. Maybe because I just got my Medicare card and I am now more officially a senior citizen. I apologize to the responders and readers for my error.

I had a spare key made and hid it on the exterior. I also put a spare fob wrapped in foil in the trunk. Incase I loose a fob whil on the road, I can still get in my car and go home. I haven't had to test my system yet, but it is a type of insurance.

I had a spare key made and hid it on the exterior. I also put a spare fob wrapped in foil in the trunk. Incase I loose a fob whil on the road, I can still get in my car and go home. I haven't had to test my system yet, but it is a type of insurance.

You should add a new key fob battery (2025) to your list of spares that you keep in your car.

Last edited:
You should add a new key fob battery (1025) to your list of spares that you keep in your car.

That's not necessary because the CX-5 fob can open the door (that's what the hidden mechanical key is for) and start the car even if there is no battery in the fob.

The push button start on the dash has an inductive device that can power the key fob when they are in close proximity to each other.

Very elegant!

Back